BBO Discussion Forums: Basic Precision: Notrump structure - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Basic Precision: Notrump structure Assuming 1NT is 13-15 (maybe 12+)

Poll: What should 1NT-(pass)-2d mean? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

What should 1NT-(pass)-2d mean?

1. To play (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Invitational, natural (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. GF relay (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

4. 5+ hearts (19 votes [76.00%])

Percentage of vote: 76.00%

5. Something else (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-July-15, 03:08

Another poll about basic Precision, not as you play it with your regular p but as you would play it with a pick-up p.

Traditionally, Two-way Stayman is part of Precision, with 2 as a GF relay. Many prefer transfers, though.

This is only about the response to a 1NT opening (opener's LHO passes). We can clarify other situations later.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-July-15, 04:13

helene_t, on Jul 15 2005, 10:08 PM, said:

Another poll about basic Precision, not as you play it with your regular p but as you would play it with a pick-up p.

Traditionally, Two-way Stayman is part of Precision, with 2 as a GF relay. Many prefer transfers, though.

This is only about the response to a 1NT opening (opener's LHO passes). We can clarify other situations later.

Playing ANY system with a pick up P I think the basic things you have to agree on (and there may be others :angry: )

NT strength
Transfers? (for 4 suits or only 2?)
Systems on/off after interference over your NT ?
Blackwood/RKCB?

Leads and discards

SO to answer your question playing Precision with a pick up P 2 over 1NT will be either forcing Stayman OR transfer to :D [BTW in almost 30 years of playing Precision I have NOT played forcing Stayman :P ]

#3 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-July-15, 07:36

When you have opened 1NT which shows some balanced hand in some range it is no longer important that 1 is Precision. So just Stayman and Transfers for me because that's what the world is playing.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2005-July-16, 05:06

Transfer with 4+... But actually anyone can play any structure they want, so it's not really a useful poll imo (don't take this too seriously), because 1NT structure is for many players a matter of preference anyway.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-July-16, 05:51

gf relay :D
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2005-July-16, 08:36

Transfer to Spades (4+)
For detailed structure see earlier series of posts by me about a year ago :-)

[EDIT]
Oops, missed the pick-up p bit. Forget that. Back to Tfr to (5+) H I guess.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-July-16, 23:27

I voted for GF relay because 1) I assumed that that was synonymous with forcing stayman, and because 2) in original precision book, 2-way (or wei) Stayman was recommended. Assuming playing 13-15 (I prefer 14-16 with Xfers).
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-July-17, 16:12

i know this won't make the final cut, but 2c as puppet has a lot of appeal if 5M332 can be opened 1nt, with 1nt : 2d as gf
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-July-18, 05:34

The are many intresting structures over NT.

However, since this poll emphasizes "practicality" (e.g. what I would play with a pickup partner, not what I consider best), I have no doubts: I'd play some form of common structure based on some form of Stayman (and/or Puppet, and/or Garbage) + Transfers.

Many more players play that, and even those who dislike it seem to know it well enough to play it dring an occasional game.
The same cannot be said for fancy (and good) structures based on some form of 2-way stayman, Keri, and other relay structures.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-July-18, 06:56

I'm going to butt-in at a late stage, so I hope I'm not being silly.. lol (didn't read the whole thing) The Rigal NT scale is nice, but I would advise a simple NT structure like this one:
1D-1x-1NT = 12-14
1NT = 15-17
1C-1D-1NT = 18-20
1C-1D-2NT = 21-22
This scheme is very simple, does not change with vulnerability and goes in line with what most people play (sayc, 2/1, etc).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users