Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Make a plan

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-01, 00:34

MP, if it matters. If you disagree with bidding to date, well, the play's the thing here.

West leads the 2, East winning with the 9 and returning a low club.

The fact that I've posted this doesn't mean there is necessarily anything clever to the correct line (I don't know what the correct line is), there may be something simple, but I found it difficult to make a plan here, even when the 5-0 heart break has been outlined for you. What would you do?

For reference, clubs and trumps break:
Spoiler
respectively.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-01, 02:01

I ruff and play Q. What happens next depends on when they take the A and/or whether E ruffs

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-01, 03:28

I was typing out two full lines, but I found ways for the defenders to beat both. Maybe it is instructive to see why they fail:
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-01, 06:43

I am guessing here (not sure if I have this right)

East's play to trick 1 and his x at trick 2 doesn't make sense except if West underled from A.No idea why West would do that (maybe he wants partner to lead back a diamond at trick 2). In any case, East seems to have assumed that declarer ducked trick 1 holding from Ax.

I say play for a singleton A with East (else East's 2 overcall is based on 0-0-3-5 HCPs). I am playing for East to have xxxx A Jx KQ109xx

Lose trick 1
Ruff low trick 2.
Cash a top spade at trick 3. It gets messy if spades are 5-0 (no idea how to deal with that one)
Lead 9 trick 4. East wins with his singleton A.
Now, If East returns x, we have 10 tricks so he must continue . As long as South discards a diamond on the 3rd club, we still have 10 tricks.

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-01, 16:53

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-01, 06:43, said:

East's play to trick 1 and his x at trick 2 doesn't make sense except if West underled from A.No idea why West would do that (maybe he wants partner to lead back a diamond at trick 2). In any case, East seems to have assumed that declarer ducked trick 1 holding from Ax.

Good point. West had Kxx; I have no idea why East played this way - perhaps 2 implied club tolerance and the 2 lead then implied Hxx, though even then Ace is more logical. Assume East played the Ace instead :) But you can safely assume West wouldn't bid 2 with four low.

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-July-01, 03:28, said:

I was typing out two full lines, but I found ways for the defenders to beat both. Maybe it is instructive to see why they fail:
Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-01, 22:37

View Postsmerriman, on 2024-July-01, 16:53, said:

Spoiler

I failed to spot that first point, possibly I would have noticed at the table, but this time I honestly did not pause to consider it.
The lead implications led me down a weird rabbit hole, not a good sign. I assumed that 2 implied club tolerance (because who would be crazy enough to enter this auction on the second round with A-empty fifth and no contract to run to) and that the 2 was third from nothing and consistent with three small, so that West would not win the second club trick. This is straight up incompatible with the small club being returned trick two - in my head it was an honour, and I misread the post.

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-02, 03:58

(deleted)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users