BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding from the twelfth dimension - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding from the twelfth dimension

#21 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-02, 19:36

The description of 4 is buggy, showing 6 clubs but only 5 diamonds. See here and the thread I linked to inside that for some more details of the likely cause. (There are lots of other fun preference issues around too, like this one caused by a programmer's typo, and this one where it gives preference to a 2 card suit over a 7 card suit..)

#22 User is offline   1175 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-July-04, 13:59

The Robot clearly violated the explanation here:

Fourteen tables had a completely normal auction, with West making 8 (twice), 9 (eleven times), or 10 (once) tricks depending on the declarer play and defense of the human and Robots:

When I play the duplicate IMPs with the Robots, I have a goal of returning a "clean sheet" (sixteen plus scores), something that I manage to accomplish maybe once every two weeks. With fourteen plus scores before this hand, I just about crashed out when I decided to make a 2 balance:

Needless to say, I don't like the 2 call (not the type of suit I want to play a 4-3 fit in). Down 2 (-200) would have given me the bottom North-South score, and an IMP loss. Fortunately, the Robot misdefended yet again, with this position the last opportunity for a two-trick set (East on lead at trick ten, and the defense having taken 5 of the first 9 tricks):

East played the K, so I only needed (to hold the contract to down 1) 3-3 hearts, and the hand with the A to have both of the missing spades. Despite numerous chances for the defense to score more than three heart tricks, it failed to do so, and the favorable lie at the end position (plus the error by the Robot) allowed me to escape for down 1 (+1.5 IMPs, and better than every North-South score, except the one at the table where the auction shown in the hand diagram occurred (+50 and +5 IMPs for North-South).

At the table where South threw in the creative 1NT overcall, I don't have anything good to say about the 2 bid by West (again, the auction has already revealed the best fit for East-West - diamonds). Given the vulnerability, I might have chances a double with the West hand. I particularly object to the 2 ("4- ; 4+ ; 4+ ; 21- HCP; 15-22 total points") and 3 ("4- ; 4+ ; 3+ ; 4+ ; 21- HCP; 15-22 total points") bids by East, with only 12 HCP (opposite a passed hand, no less, where the likelihood of West holding a hand that makes 3NT a good contract seems remote). Passing 2NT looks absolutely clear.

#23 User is offline   1175 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted Yesterday, 22:08

I wonder if the advanced Robot would do any better with this hand:

Two questions here:

What would you bid after?

What would you bid after?

I will update the hand later, but the free Robot would pass both of those auctions, the latter of which I particularly don't like given the concentration of values in partner's suit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. smerriman