BBO Discussion Forums: Now that’s bad luck! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Now that’s bad luck!

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-August-25, 22:54

Round-robin in the Seniors World Championship, so imp scoring.

A frequent teammate of mine (we were on the same team in Italy last year) picked up this nice hand.

He opened 1H and partner responded 1S!

5C exclusion is a little optimistic but I’m not sure that bidding, say, 4C would work better…even if partner signed off, you’re surely taking another call.

Anyway, partner shows the diamond ace.

Grand has play opposite xxxx xx Axx xxxx or the like…not favourite perhaps but we’ve all been in worse contracts and he’ll often have 5+ spades, so you bid 7S

You get a sinking feeling when LHO doubles.

Btw, partner holds Qx in hearts and AQx in diamonds….how bad can it be?

At the other table the auction began a little differently. 1H (2H) Michaels on J10xxx AKxxx in the blacks.

19 imps is a lot to lose for just being a little aggressive.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-August-26, 01:50

😱😱

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-05, 15:58

while your negative score doesn't even reach my list of top 100 lowlights (due to ridiculous distribution) I applaud you on reaching a very decent contract.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-September-05, 18:21

gszes, on 2023-September-05, 15:58, said:

while your negative score doesn't even reach my list of top 100 lowlights (due to ridiculous distribution) I applaud you on reaching a very decent contract.

Not me: two Canadian internationalists and sometime teammates of mine. Grand isn’t great but responder will often hold five spades, making it excellent, and J10xx makes it very good as well…one can often ruff clubs in dummy with high trump. Even as it was, it was about 50% single dummy.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users