Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ui or not UI A senior moment

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-July-23, 14:32

Senior Camrose, fortunately with screens. 2H was not alerted on East's side, but was correctly alerted as weak on West's side. North asked East when West raised if 2H was weak. At this point, East, Muggins, realised that West had opened 1C, not 1S as he had thought. I don't think there is any real problem with screens, as the actual auction is authorised, and I chose 6H which was a small gain as one pair missed it.

Without screens it would be interesting, as the alert of 2H would wake East up to the fact that he had misread the auction. Is East allowed to realise his error, or must the "unexpected alert" mean that he must continue to think his partner has opened 1S? Something like QJxxx Jxxx KQ Kx would offer no play for slam and the five level is not safe.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2023-July-23, 14:56

It looks like North had the senior moment.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2023-July-24, 11:45

He was caught unawares, and thought he might not have seen an alert!

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-July-28, 15:55

Maybe a better question is whether East is allowed to be woken up by North's question. The definition of AI and UI doesn't make any mention of an opponent's questions, but it feels wrong that a player needs to be wary of helping an opponent by asking a legitimate question.

OTOH, North has no reason to ask this during the auction, as they're going to pass with their 5 count regardless. They should wait until the end of the auction. Being "caught unawares" shouldn't make a difference.

#5 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-29, 02:28

barmar, on 2023-July-28, 15:55, said:

Maybe a better question is whether East is allowed to be woken up by North's question. The definition of AI and UI doesn't make any mention of an opponent's questions, but it feels wrong that a player needs to be wary of helping an opponent by asking a legitimate question.

I would think that’s about the same as with an alert from the partner. That’s a regular procedure, but nonetheless you’re not allowed to use the information that there has been an alert. You’re only allowed to use the information arising from bidding cards and playing cards, nothing else.
Joost

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-29, 07:16

sanst, on 2023-July-29, 02:28, said:

You’re only allowed to use the information arising from bidding cards and playing cards, nothing else.

Law 16A. Players’ Use of Information
1.A player may use information in the auction or play if:
(a)it derives from the legal calls and plays of the current board (including illegal calls and plays that are accepted) and is unaffected by unauthorized information from another source; or
(b) it is authorized information from a withdrawn action (see C); or
© it is information specified in any law or regulation to be authorized or, when not otherwise specified, arising from the legal procedures authorized in these laws and in regulations (but see B1 following); or
(d) it is information that the player possessed before he took his hand from the board (Law 7B) and the Laws do not preclude his use of this information.
2. Players may also take account of their estimate of their own score, of the traits of their opponents, and any requirement of the tournament regulations.

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-30, 03:17

Of course I know that. But as a general rule, it’s pretty good and easy to explain to novices, if you include the opponents’ system/convention cards - sorry, I forgot to mention these.
Joost

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2023-July-30, 18:42

Does c) apply to opponents' questions not triggered by your side's Alerts/failure to Alert/incomplete explanation? arising from the legal procedures (asking questions) authorized...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2023-August-13, 03:57

The EBU White book suggests that players are expected to protect themselves in obvious examples of MI

"It is only experienced players who are expected to protect themselves. If such players receive
an explanation which is implausible, and they are able to protect themselves by seeking further
clarification without putting their side’s interests at risk (e.g. by transmitting unauthorised
information or waking the opposition up), failure to do so may prejudice the redress to which
they would otherwise be entitled."

The inference here is that opponents are allowed to be woken up by questions from the opposition.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-August-14, 09:00

weejonnie, on 2023-August-13, 03:57, said:

The EBU White book suggests that players are expected to protect themselves in obvious examples of MI

"It is only experienced players who are expected to protect themselves. If such players receive
an explanation which is implausible, and they are able to protect themselves by seeking further
clarification without putting their side’s interests at risk (e.g. by transmitting unauthorised
information or waking the opposition up), failure to do so may prejudice the redress to which
they would otherwise be entitled."

The inference here is that opponents are allowed to be woken up by questions from the opposition.

There is also the inference that they retain their rights to redress if they omit to ask an obviously pertinent question because it would wake up the opponents.

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2023-September-06, 17:06

sanst, on 2023-July-29, 02:28, said:

You’re only allowed to use the information arising from bidding cards and playing cards, nothing else.

But the bidding cards themselves tell East that he has misbid. The alert also tells him he has misbid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users