BBO Discussion Forums: A bit of a train wreck hand but maybe instructive - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A bit of a train wreck hand but maybe instructive

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-August-04, 16:01

This hand came up recently when partnering my inexperienced partner:

MPs, we were playing Acol, weak NT, 3 weak twos.

You'll have to excuse North's bidding, she has a habit of bidding four card suits in situations where it must show at least five if not six and I intend to go through some bidding concepts in competitive auctions. You'll have to excuse my bidding as well. I took the 3 bid as natural and forcing to game holding at least five of them and a good chance of six. I thought about 3NT but was concerned with the diamond bid on my left and visualised the possibility of a spade lead to the ace followed by a diamond through my king and going off horribly. I decided that 4 would have better chances although I didn't realise the diamond ace was onside or that partner would hold three spades.

4 went down but I am curious what agreenments others have in this situation. Do you play double here by North as takeout or penalty?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-August-04, 17:35

View PostAL78, on 2023-August-04, 16:01, said:

This hand came up recently when partnering my inexperienced partner:

MPs, we were playing Acol, weak NT, 3 weak twos.

You'll have to excuse North's bidding, she has a habit of bidding four card suits in situations where it must show at least five if not six and I intend to go through some bidding concepts in competitive auctions. You'll have to excuse my bidding as well. I took the 3 bid as natural and forcing to game holding at least five of them and a good chance of six. I thought about 3NT but was concerned with the diamond bid on my left and visualised the possibility of a spade lead to the ace followed by a diamond through my king and going off horribly. I decided that 4 would have better chances although I didn't realise the diamond ace was onside or that partner would hold three spades.

4 went down but I am curious what agreenments others have in this situation. Do you play double here by North as takeout or penalty?

Good topic😀

I don’t have any explicit agreements here, in the sense of having discussed this specific sequence

In both my serious partnerships, we do play negative doubles at the 2 and 3 level, and (assuming partner was on the same page, thinking it applies here) north has an easy double. However, this is exactly the kind of situation in which it’s dangerous to assume that partner will ‘work it out’ at the table, so I’m going to ask both of them what they think double means

Given how dangerous double is, I think I’d choose 3S. This ‘should’ logically ask for a diamond stopper…3S can’t be asking for a spade stopper since partner already promised 1+.

However, also play ‘switch’ after 1N (3D) in that 3H is spades, invitational or better, and 3S is gf with 5+ hearts….but (again) we’ve not discussed this sequence

So I’m not much help…sorry!

As for fearing a spade to the ace and a diamond back, it’s a legitimate concern but you have to bid 3N. Firstly, RHO is far more likely to hold the ace than is LHO. Secondly, partner may have a stopper. Thirdly, bidding 4H doesn’t exactly avoid the diamond issue…in fact it puts in front and centre in that RHO is on opening lead.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users