Sliding 2C scale. :))

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-April-26, 19:38

With these prime values I'm happy to open 2 22+

Now that I'm playing with a Southern Hemisphere partner I've added Multi etc and
our 2C is 24+, 2D weak multi or 20-22 balanced

I think we need to play 2C 24+ balanced, or a "strong" unbalanced hand?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-26, 20:00

You need to agree wether 2C is GF or not. For strong 1-suiters, it means game minus 1 trick.

For « almost » GF, (1 trick less than 2C), you have to either open at 1 level and oblige a lighter answer from responder, should their hand produce game facing this type of hand, or use a 2-meaning 2C, with 2H/S answers meaning I’ d pass a non-GF 2M rebid, while 2D is a GF relay.

Each has pros and cons, better aggressivity freeing 2M openings, a bit less precise auctions for slam, and multi pros and cons (easier to overcall with H, responder not sure of the M if opponent overcalls 3m, but often right sides the hand, obliges opponents to X with balanced hands not sure where they’ll end up, etc.).

#3 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-26, 21:47

The hand looks quite a lot like an Acol 2, so a Benji 2 opener but not a traditional 2. If you do want to include these hands into a traditional 2, you might consider checking out Chris Ryall's ParadoX response structure, which includes a way of dealing with them relatively effortlessly.

#4 User is offline   ali quarg 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-26, 22:02

View Postjillybean, on 2023-April-26, 19:38, said:

With these prime values I'm happy to open 2 22+

Now that I'm playing with a Southern Hemisphere partner I've added Multi etc and
our 2C is 24+, 2D weak multi or 20-22 balanced

I think we need to play 2C 24+ balanced, or a "strong" unbalanced hand?

What happens to 23 balanced?

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-April-26, 23:54

This is a 1S opening for me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-April-27, 00:59

With 9 playing tricks its 2, with 20hcp it's 1 so you have a choice

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-27, 01:15

Your 20-22 balanced is too wide for my taste, and it's not clear what happens with 23.
As for the hand, a 6M322 is not unthinkable as 2C but I see more disadvantages than advantages. With 1S the risk of getting passed out is small and you then have more and better opportunities to describe your hand.

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-27, 03:13

I don't mind 2 on this hand, treating it as single-suited spades. I also don't hate claiming this is a ~22 point balanced hand, though it is a worse option.

With 20-22 in your multi I'd play 2 23+ balanced or unbal GF, though I don't love the ranges. I think with 24+ balanced you should always go to game, so to me it is more natural to play a NT ladder of 20-21, 22-23 (in 2, the only non-GF hand) and 24+ (GF). Trying to stop in a partscore over a strong 2 auction is a really narrow target in an already cramped auction.

Most of the response schemes to 2 are lousy, indicative of the fact that the opening bid is a band-aid for the system. I'd keep it simple and game forcing (maybe with the exception of opener's immediate 2NT rebid), and not worry about it too much. If you do want to optimise that part of your system I recommend game-ordered Kokish.

#9 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-27, 22:51

I would consider 2NT (in the absence of multi - which I don't play) so 2diamonds - but on other days would be happy with 1 spade or 2 clubs

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users