• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blog Bridge hand format

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-30, 10:21

I have inserted the full introduction, and the first 1/5th of chapter one into my promised Electronic book on squeeze plays. I also filled in the scheleton of what the book will look like by activating links to all the Chapters (even though the chapters are not yet posted).

What I ahve been working on is how to make the hands look pretty. I have tied a couple of formats. In the introduction, I went with html formating with GIF's for each card symbol. In chapter one, I went with a table format using text-based card symbols. It turns out, for the diamond symbol all you need to use is either the Courier or teh Arial font.

I prefer the second option right now. What do you think? See...http://squeeze-analysis.blogspot.com/

As an aside, I have developed a couple of template for tables for blogging bridge hands. The one that is in chapter one now, one with bidding table embedded on the right column on position 1.1.1 in chapter one (where the BLUE identifiers are), And a similar one with a second embedded table for sequence of played tricks.

Anyone interested can have copies of these table templates.

Ben
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2005-June-30, 16:57

My position is clear on text versus graphic suits :) (text)

I'm also interested in the bidding template :)

Diamond holdings are in a bigger text in later diagrams in Chapter 1.

Nice work!

#3 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-July-01, 01:53

I like graphic vs text much better as well.

#4 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-July-01, 11:22

Some suggestions/comments:

1) Remove the internal borders from the tables which hold the hands and bidding. The vertical line separating the cards from the bidding/explanation is fine.

2) The diamond suit cards' font stands out from the rest (and makes it look rather odd). Why don't you make all the suits the same font?

3) Is the image in the middle (the green one with NEWS written on it) really required? It has got an ugly border around it. Without that border it will look fine.

4) The 4 empty cells around the hand (you are using a 3x3 table...) you are not consistent with where you put VUL, DLR, Lead etc. Making that consistent will make it easier to read the 100+ hands...

#5 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 2005-July-02, 04:06

I find the idea of using text symbols great. (And not just any text but particularly UTF-8.) It allows for scaling the symbols together with the rest of the text, which is important for vision impaired readers as well as for browsers in small devices. When most of the page is text, it loads and renders much faster. I would try to make even the NS/EW diagram as a text.

Your site looks very professional. The only thing that I would change is replacing the two small dashes for a void with one longer.

It is also very generous of you to allow for copying of the table templates. I hope I find the time and energy to create a bridge site in Bulgarian, because bridge texts are almost non-existant in it. Then I'm going to take a closer look at the templates, and hopefully use some of them.

All in all, great job! And I didn't even mention the content :lol:

Petko

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users