-     -     -     1!
 Pass  2!   Pass  2NT
 Pass  3    Pass  3NT
 Pass  Pass  Pass! 

Bidding notes:
1C = Precision, 16+
2C = 5+ clubs, 8-12 hcp
other bids = natural

Opening lead: 2 of diamonds = attitude lead from unknown length.

What is the best play ?
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#2 User is offline   PMetsch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-27, 05:30

It is too difficult for me to calculate the best line. Some thoughts about the hand. I like to play early in the game a club to the king, either to get a club trick or remove an entry fom the west hand. I like to drop a doubeton J. I want to duck a diamond some time to cut communications.

I don't know what east plays on trick 1, but lets say it is not the king, then I win the first trick. I cash A and then a to the queen. If the jack drops I cash the T as well. Then I lead a to the king, if it wins, then a to the J, if it looses then I duck a , take the third roud of and play a spade to the J.
Peter

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-27, 05:57

Interesting hand. My current guess is as follows: Cash A and Q. If the Jack drops, cash the ten and play a club to the king, basically following PMetsch's line. However, if the Jack does not drop, it may be better to play a spade to the 9 -- if the 10 is onside, I have 3 spade tricks immediately, so I make if either hearts are 3-3 or the club ace is with East.

Btw, I am not very familiar with attitude leads, but I would suspect that 2 is likely from a 5-card suit including the K, or else from a very good 4 card suit (KJx2, KJT2)?

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-June-27, 06:06

cherdano, on Jun 27 2005, 11:57 AM, said:

Btw, I am not very familiar with attitude leads, but I would suspect that 2 is likely from a 5-card suit including the K, or else from a very good 4 card suit (KJx2, KJT2)?

Attitude lead is like 4th best lead but it's always the lowest card, independently of suit length.
Can be Hxxx(xxx), no info on suit texture/length exept it promises at least a honor, usually at least one of the top 3, but on occasion might be coming from JTxx(xxx)
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#5 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-June-27, 06:15

Interesting hand. My current guess is as follows: Cash A and Q. If the Jack drops, cash the ten and play a club to the king, basically following PMetsch's line. However, if the Jack does not drop, it may be better to play a spade to the 9 -- if the 10 is onside, I have 3 spade tricks immediately, so I make if either hearts are 3-3 or the club ace is with East.

Hmm.

If we need 3 tricks from spades, the best % play is spade Ace then low to the Q.
This line has better % of not losing 2 spades, and with 3 sure spades tricks, I would win in the cases you mention (H 33 or club ace in east) .

It seems that I might take advantage of the dummy entry for playing clubs instead of spades ? ?

#6 User is offline   PMetsch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-27, 06:47

I played the hand with Jack 3.0.

After a diamond lead, he plays a to the queen and then a from the dummy. If the club wins, he plays 2 rounds of hearts and if the J does not drop, the Q. If the K loses to the A, he wins the diamond return, plays AK and a to the J.
Peter

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-27, 07:02

Chamaco, on Jun 27 2005, 01:15 PM, said:

Hmm.

If we need 3 tricks from spades, the best % play is spade Ace then low to the Q.
This line has better % of not losing 2 spades, and with 3 sure spades tricks, I would win in the cases you mention (H 33 or club ace in east) .

It seems that I might take advantage of the dummy entry for playing clubs instead of spades ? ?

Well I don't claim to know. But note that the club play also has problems. A and Q, club to the king losing to the ace. Now ducking a diamond may not help much, since the defense may successfully switch to a club when that is right. Also, note that your line in spades only works when there is still an entry to dummy to enjoy the 4th spade (e.g. if RHO has Kxx).

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users