BBO Discussion Forums: The Solution to all your System woes - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Solution to all your System woes Warning: not permitted by GCC

#1 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-24, 12:02

Have you ever noticed how much of this forum is devoted to trying to 1) clarify between either-or meanings of bids (and plays/signals): the bid means either this or it means that, and trying to come up with a way to have it be either, and 2) trying to invent the better mouse trap, a better response structure or meaning of a bid?

(disclaimer: the following is not currently GCC or mid-chart approved.)

WELL,

Here's the solution to all your problems (tongue currently well in cheek, BTW) for use before, between, or after sessions and only (preferably) after a cocktail or two. (or 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.)

It's called One Word Bridge: Everything is the same except that you are permitted to add one (and only one) word to your bid. Examples: "1 Raptor NT" or "2 constructive s", or "4 fit-bid s". If nothing else, this significantly cuts down on bidding misunderstandings. (n.b.: psyching you selection of one word is not permitted.)

Anyway, If you are in that type of mood that we all have experienced at some point or another during a tournament, you might wish to give it a try. Used to play this many many years ago and had a blast. Would be laughing so hard. And it also led to some interesting discussions about hand valuation such as "you really think that's worth a limit raise?" etc.
[Just leave a few drops in the bottle for the director who let you borrow the board so you could have a deck of cards to play with.]
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#2 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-24, 12:20

Sounds great! But how long are words allowed to be? For example, "5 GrandSlamForceOrKingWith4Small NT"
It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#3 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-24, 12:57

SoTired, on Jun 24 2005, 01:20 PM, said:

Sounds great! But how long are words allowed to be? For example, "5 GrandSlamForceOrKingWith4Small NT"

Two points to make in answering your question.
1) usually nothing more than "forcing", "weak", "Pre-emptive", "intermediate", "inverted", etc. common descriptive bridge terms, not such a lengthy description as your example.

2) after a long session of 26 or 52 boards and several "refreshments", do you really think you could get all of that out in one breath coherently? And, anyway, your example contains 10 words.

#4 User is offline   dogsbreath 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge,golf,cricket,baseball, ironing (?)

Posted 2005-June-24, 20:06

hi
there was a simpler version of this idea in common use in Ireland in the days of spoken bidding (in the 70's)
It was known as the forcing 1 Club system..
the opening bids were ..
'club' .. minimum opening hand with clubs ..responder needs 15+ for game
'a club' ..good opening bid with clubs .. game invite
'1 club' .. strictly forcing ..need not contain a club suit.

..this was widely considered to be a fair response to the new-fangled strong 1c systems (like Neapolitan and Blue Club) for those disinclined to search for a bookshop or learn to read.

Rgds Dog :blink:
ManoVerboard

#5 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-24, 22:23

dogsbreath, on Jun 24 2005, 09:06 PM, said:

hi
there was a simpler version of this idea in common use in Ireland in the days of spoken bidding (in the 70's)
It was known as the forcing 1 Club system..
the opening bids were ..
'club' .. minimum opening hand with clubs ..responder needs 15+ for game
'a club' ..good opening bid with clubs .. game invite
'1 club' .. strictly forcing ..need not contain a club suit.

..this was widely considered to be a fair response to the new-fangled strong 1c systems (like Neapolitan and Blue Club) for those disinclined to search for a bookshop or learn to read.

Rgds Dog :blink:

Oh, yes, absolutely, and it was in the states, too

and you had 1) double, 2) I Double, and 3) DOUBLE !

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-24, 23:35

Let me try to answer this hilarious post seriously. I think that this game could be a lot of fun, given that the list of words must be given beforehand and is relatively short. I also think that all bids have to be natural.

Here is a list of words I suggest:

preemptive, constructive, invitational, forcing, strong. (for suit bids)

penalty, take-out, card-showing, lead directing. (for doubles)

forcing, lead-directing, trap. (for pass, the last one is a joke)
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-June-25, 00:18

Double !, on Jun 24 2005, 09:02 PM, said:

Have you ever noticed how much of this forum is devoted to trying to 1) clarify between either-or meanings of bids (and plays/signals): the bid means either this or it means that, and trying to come up with a way to have it be either, and 2) trying to invent the better mouse trap, a better response structure or meaning of a bid?

(disclaimer: the following is not currently GCC or mid-chart approved.)

WELL,

Here's the solution to all your problems (tongue currently well in cheek, BTW) for use before, between, or after sessions and only (preferably) after a cocktail or two. (or 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.)

It's called One Word Bridge: Everything is the same except that you are permitted to add one (and only one) word to your bid. Examples: "1 Raptor NT" or "2 constructive s", or "4 fit-bid s". If nothing else, this significantly cuts down on bidding misunderstandings. (n.b.: psyching you selection of one word is not permitted.)

Anyway, If you are in that type of mood that we all have experienced at some point or another during a tournament, you might wish to give it a try. Used to play this many many years ago and had a blast. Would be laughing so hard. And it also led to some interesting discussions about hand valuation such as "you really think that's worth a limit raise?" etc.
[Just leave a few drops in the bottle for the director who let you borrow the board so you could have a deck of cards to play with.]

We always referred to this as "adjective" bridge
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-25, 00:38

What does the director do if it turns out your adjective was a psyche?

Eric

#9 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-25, 08:30

EricK, on Jun 25 2005, 01:38 AM, said:

What does the director do if it turns out your adjective was a psyche?

Eric

He takes your bottle away, of course.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users