BBO Discussion Forums: What ONE book would you recommend? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What ONE book would you recommend?

#1 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-24, 10:00

I have a friend who has played bridge for many, many years. He plays Standard American. He is not too good at memorizing bidding sequences unless he understands the theory behind it. He is retiring soon and will have more time to devote to bridge. He wants to switch to 2/1.

I told him I would recommend a book. So I ask all of you which book should I recommend.
  • 2/1 Unconditional Game Force (except for maybe 1D 2C)
  • Heavy on theory, understanding, and thinking
  • Not too dry, needs some humor

It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#2 User is offline   fifee 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-24, 11:31

Hi SoTired, welcome to the forum :D

My first 2/1 book was Max Hardy's "Two Over One Game Force." It was dry and hard to read and I don't recommend it for an introductory course.
The book that I much preferred was "Mike Lawrence's Workbook on the Two Over One System." It is available from his site at http://www.michaelsl...cts/twover.html. $11.95

Mike also has a CD ROM called "The Two Over One System" available on the Bridge Base site in the Shop Bridge! section. Fred Gitelman wrote the program that walks you through the basic principles of 2/1 from the opener's and responder's point of view. You are quizzed to see if you have mastered the theory and sent back for review if you have not. Moves quickly and is very informative. If you buy it from Shop Bridge! you are supporting the BBO site. $34.95.

Certain that your friend will feel comfortable with 2/1 after assimilating this info ;)
Lord, help me choose the words I use and make them short and sweet.
We never know from day to day which ones we'll have to eat.

#3 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-24, 11:36

He should buy " The Two Over One System" by Mike Lawrence and Bridge Base. It is the equivalent of a 1000 page book, very detailed and has lots of excellent quizzes - the only choice in my opinion.

#4 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-24, 12:15

Is the system the same between the CD and the book? Might be best to buy both. CD programs are nice, but not too convenient in a married man's reading room.
It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#5 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-24, 17:07

if a friend wanted my advice on a book (complete 2/1 system actually), i'd strongly recommend bergen's 2 volume (small volumes heheh) 'better bidding with bergen' ... there's nothing in either that would cause problems for any intermediate + player, imo
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#6 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-24, 18:31

luke warm, on Jun 24 2005, 06:07 PM, said:

if a friend wanted my advice on a book (complete 2/1 system actually), i'd strongly recommend bergen's 2 volume (small volumes heheh) 'better bidding with bergen' ... there's nothing in either that would cause problems for any intermediate + player, imo

I double this bid.
Just understand that neither book is technically about 2/1 and, in a number of circumstances, presents topics that apply regardless of whether or not playing 2/1.
And, where else can you learn about Bergen minor suit raises (not one of his better ideas).
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#7 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-24, 18:48

i actually like his minor suit structure... the point is, a practiced partnership can add or subtract things from any system they employ.. these books show the basic (i said basic) structure used by bergen/cohen, and they had a pretty good run

as far as the books being 2/1, they certainly don't have to be although 1nt is forcing and 2 over 1 is game forcing... so if it isn't, it mimics 2/1 pretty good... it's actually 'eastern scientific' i believe
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#8 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-June-27, 04:56

Robinson's "Washington standard" is a fairly complete book, and relatively modern.

However, it totally lacks the soul of Mike Lawrence's 2/1 workbook (and of the 2/1 CD).

Mike Lawrence is telling us a story when he writes a book on bidding, and he is educating our bidding judgment.
Much, much better.
The same cannot be said of Robinson's book (which is good enough for people who only want a system book).

FYI, Lawrence's 2/1 is not 100% GF: suit rebid by responder may show invitational hand with great suit.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users