BBO Discussion Forums: full session tournament - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

full session tournament are people willing to play

Poll: would you like a full 26 board 13 table game (33 member(s) have cast votes)

would you like a full 26 board 13 table game

1. yes (21 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. no (12 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-23, 14:08

While we are at it, why not have a "tag" on each player showing the % of "quits" that he has. Normal to leave from , say, 1% of hands in the middle of play, more and you get my drift.....
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#22 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-23, 16:40

To borrow from Kevin Costner, If you direct it, I will come. The wait between rounds is only a mild problem for me and anyway it seems the wait between rounds is apretty much the same whether I play in two short tournaments or one long one. The main problem for me is the obvious: I have to block off a fairly large hunk of time. I'll try to arrange that if a 26 board game materializes.

Ken
Ken

#23 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-23, 17:06

i would also, but it would have to be on a saturday or sunday for me... 4:30 am comes too early
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#24 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-25, 07:15

uday, on Jun 23 2005, 05:59 AM, said:

... So, if event duration is an issue for some players, perhaps you could consider using an unclocked pair movement for the longer events. ...

Even fast players have a problem with unclocked if they happen to play against a slow pair or against a pair where the substitution took some time. The fast pair is dragged down into the slow group and cannot escape anymore. This happened to me a short while ago, resulting in waisting half an hour for waiting. And even if you finish an unclocked tourney in a shorter time than you need for a comparable clocked tourney, you have to wait very long for the result.

Running 7 min/board clocked tourneys I would not recommend as this creates too much work for the directors doing the adjustments. But you could easily run 7 or even 6 min/board tourneys if the suggestions presented here 11 months ago were implemeted.

Karl

#25 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-25, 10:36

A fully meshed movement would be nice.
The more boards are played, the less important one lucky/unlucky swing gets. In a 10 Board tourney each board can bring 0-10% points to your score. In a 20 board tourney ist 0-5% points. In a championship with 100 played boards it gets down to 0-1% point. So with 2 lucky boards in a 10 board tourney you will be a top scorer, over 100 boards, those that score well each board, will sure get tot the top.
THe more rounds are played the more opps you meet. This means that you will get strong and weak ones. Imagine a 8 Board tourney where you play 2 boards against world class players, there is no time to recover from that.

I would like to play souch an event, but it would have to be announced a long time in advance because it only makes sence to play it with a established partnership. I would not want to be stuck with a pickup partner another 2 hours, if we notice after a few boards our play is not compatible.

Perhaps ther eshould be a few qualification tourneys to deselect the slow pairs ant to test the partnerships.

#26 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-26, 17:17

is it just me or has the word crap been mentioned an inordinate number of times :)
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users