Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best player in the world

#1 User is offline   andych 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-21, 23:07

Recently Jlall wrote about a rubber bridge player in his blog.

I have heard a saying that the best bridge players are not those winning the Bermuda Bowl, nor the ones winning the Olympiad.

The best bridge players are those playing high stake rubber bridge winning a lot of money. They dont even want to be famous such that others would continue playing rubber bridge with them.

How true is it?

:rolleyes: :lol:

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-22, 00:14

I think its baloney.

While there's a few national level players who do well at rubber, the best player isn't holed in some smoky card room somewhere.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2005-June-22, 01:04

There is a very small modicum of truth in that. Who knows of Metyer Schleifer for example?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-22, 01:07

The_Hog, on Jun 22 2005, 02:04 AM, said:

There is a very small modicum of truth in that. Who knows of Metyer Schleifer for example?

We knew him.

#5 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2005-June-22, 03:31

:rolleyes: No truth at all. The secret to winning at rubber bridge, and I should know, is to find a game you can beat and keeping it together. It is purely a people phenomenon. Meyer was a good player, but not clearly better than many others of his day. Thirty years ago there still a few good rubber bridge players in the wings, and I used to end up on teams with some of them once in a while. Guys called Booger Red or "the best 42 player in the world". Or two guys in NYC where we got to the semis of a local team event. They were good players, but nothing exceptional. Probably David Carter in St. Louis was the best of that breed, and he was VERY good.
Trixi

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-June-22, 04:08

Helgemo is pretty impressive as declarer and defender... As for best bidder, that's impossible to define because it depends on personal opinions.

Best rubber bridge player I dunno. All the guys I saw sucked at it.. lol :rolleyes:

#7 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-22, 07:58

I have heard zia is the best rubber bridge player. He is also a great tournament player. I think there are alot of great players who play rubber bridge and not alot of tournament bridge, but it's hard to define them as "better" or worse. The games are different.

btw you will notice in the article Ira Chorush I mention he has also won a few national tournaments.

#8 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-22, 08:12

I have some experience at money bridge. In my younger days, I played a lot of money rubber bridge. What little I won at bridge I promptly lost at backgammon.

In my experience, the best rubber bridge players also played duplicate. A pro bridge player can make much more at duplicate than hiding their expertise and playing rubber. A good player can make some money at rubber, but only because the opposition is poor.
It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#9 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-June-22, 08:17

SoTired, on Jun 22 2005, 09:12 AM, said:

I have some experience at money bridge. In my younger days, I played a lot of money rubber bridge. What little I won at bridge I promptly lost at backgammon.

In my experience, the best rubber bridge players also played duplicate. A pro bridge player can make much more at duplicate than hiding their expertise and playing rubber. A good player can make some money at rubber, but only because the opposition is poor.

This is not really true. I recommend the book The Big Game by Rob Sheehan.

He says that a top player in a weak game can win 3 points an hour. In the 1 pound a point game, a top player can win 2 points an hour (the competition is much better).

2 points an hour is 200 pounds an hour in that game. Obviously you have to be Zia to win this amount, but i'm sure guys like gunnar hallberg win close to that. If you are truly world class, you can win alot of money in rubber bridge.

#10 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-22, 12:48

Meyer Schleifer from LA is if still alive was a great bridge player.....another example of someone who really doenst play a lot of tourney bridge but has played at the world championship level at both backgammon and bridge is Billy Eisenberg.

#11 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2005-June-23, 15:11

I've heard of myer, not sure where tho.

#12 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-23, 15:29

Jlall, on Jun 23 2005, 04:11 PM, said:

Wasn't he the guy in "Halloween" that wouldn't stay dead?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#13 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-27, 16:46

Kantar used to right about him alot in his books, hes also won a few tournaments in his day too.

#14 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-29, 07:12

Jlall, on Jun 23 2005, 04:11 PM, said:

You thinking of Michael Myers Jus :D

As a person who rates women as the third most important thang in his life (just been to your blog...ah geez anuzzer place 4 me to 'lamp-post' as it were)

...can imagine there are a few spies out there for you to s**g...

[edit lol]
hee hee someone just asked me what 'slog' meant
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-29, 14:25

Guys called Booger Red

Just curious....you talking about Booger Red McGlaughlin from Oklahoma City? If so, I knew him well and played both with and against him - not only was he a phenom in bridge, but also in dominoes and golf. The only time I ever remember him being wrong is when he told me that I'd "be better than all the rest of them put together" after I'd accidentally executed a Devil's Coup against him - I think it was about trick ten, after Red started laughing and shaking his head, when it dawned on me what was happening.

WinstonM
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users