• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to an overcall

#21 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-10, 07:25

View PostAL78, on 2022-April-09, 12:13, said:

It is a structure of showing different strength hands analogous to a rebid after an opening.

Over a 2-level pre-empt:
Simple overcall -> hand that would open 1X and rebid 2X.
Jump overcall -> hand that would open 1X and rebid 3X.
Game overcall -> Strong hand with a self supporting suit that just needs a few HCP for game, e.g. an strong Acol 8-9PT hand.
X then bid -> A hand that would open 1M and rebid 4M over a 1 other M or Acol 1NT response, or the upper end of a 1M opening followed by 3M rebid.

Seems a logical structure to me and is comparable to the bidding structure you would have in Acol, with the difference being you are starting your constructive bidding higher, so have to utilise the double to make up for lost space.

The thing with jump bidding over a weak two is that it consumes a lot of bidding space on top of the opening consuming a lot of bidding space, and if it is your hand, you need as much bidding space as possible to work out where you are going. Thus I think a natural jump bid should be a hand defined down to a narrow strength range so partner, as often as possible, has a fair idea of what to do with his balanced 7-8 count. Normally in a bidding structure, jumping in a constructive auction shows a narrowly defined hand.

Of course it *seems* logical. Except. That means you are bidding 2 over 2 with both. AKxxxx xx Ax xxx and AKxxxx xx Ax KJx. This is acceptable when the bidding starts at 1. Many things will happen before you have to decide what to do next. Partner will rarely pass. But when there is a pre-empt, partner will *often* pass.

Why do you think my single jump overcall over a pre-empt is not narrowly defined? It certainly is!

#22 User is offline   ali quarg 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-10, 07:59

One observation I have is that if West opens then the end result could be a likely 4 contract so in that perspective 4 seems like a reasonable bid.

South's overcall is a touch weak for me, but North's raise to 4 is plausible given a revalued KQ opposite what is likely to be a 6 card suit headed by the Ace and opening values.
If you only raise to 3 then East could be bidding 4 on close to a maximum.

As it turns out only 1 or 3 is makeable; on another day this could have worked out well with a sound South bid.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users