• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

double jump over take-out dbl

#21 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-16, 08:49

I play the ETM Victory kind of responses to take out double (as I have said here before, http://forums.bridgebase.com/index.php?sho...indpost&p=47388)

Basically, my 1 level response to takeout double shows 0-10 hcp, and four card suit. Partner raises only if 10 hcp max excites him. My 2 level jump response shows 5-10 with five card suit (With five hcp only, the suit is KQxxx). My jump to 3 of the suit shows 11-12 with five or maybe six card suit and is not forcing.

This maynot be expert treatment (i know lots and lots of people jump in four card majors with 10 or 12 points), but this is how I play it. As an aside, if after a non-jump bid, advancer later doubles, it shows maximum and of course, four card suit.
--Ben--

#22 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-16, 08:56

btw, Mike Lawrence's book on Takeout dbls is a fine read.

As far as jumping the response on shape or preemptive type hands, pard can make quite a few games on minimal values when he knows where most of the hcp are (with opener, when you have 9-11 for instance). Why preempt him when he may have a hand that needs a bit of room to find the best contract?

I do, however subscribe to jump responses after a rdbl to show length and no values in one of the doubler's shown suits, as a way of preempting the opps when they are known to have the balance of power.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#23 User is offline   reisig 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-16, 09:08

Since the X does NOT guarantee 4-4+ in Majors,,,jumps to 2 level show some game interest with 5 card suit (maybe a good 8 to terrible 11). With 4 card suits ..bid either 1M or cue bid.(followed by a Major = 4 only). A jump to 3M should be 6 cards with 6-7 points (with more I'd bid game or jump to 2 level).

#24 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-June-16, 15:50

Pass neither makes your hand weaker nor does it make it stronger than it was; what pass does is limit your hand so pard does not get overboard.

If the hand was worth a cue bid unpassed, it is still worth a cue bid; if not, same thing.

The double jump must be trying to send a message that your hand fits neither category, yet you didn't open 1 or 2S - so what message are you trying to send?

Maybe a hand that just might be slam worthy if pard has just the right hand?

How about J9xxx, x, x, AQ10xxx? If my regular pard made this bid I would think this might be his message; however, as it is an undefined bid, it is better to ask the owner first before throwing a monkey wrench into his Ferrari's engine block.

WinstonM
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#25 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-16, 15:58

cherdano, on Jun 16 2005, 09:24 AM, said:

In fact, I suspect if Justin told us the hands with which he would "preempt" with 3S on this auction, we could as well agree on calling them "invitational with distribution".

Arend

I said you could equate it to a preempt but I do not like that definition. It does however show alot of trumps and a smattering of high cards, in that sense it is similar to a preempt. I tend to think Frances and I have the exact same definition for the bid since we both seem to expect partner to bid game on this hand type: trumps/controls.

#26 User is offline   junyi_zhu 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-20, 17:03

Jlall, on Jun 16 2005, 09:58 PM, said:

cherdano, on Jun 16 2005, 09:24 AM, said:

In fact, I suspect if Justin told us the hands with which he would "preempt" with 3S on this auction, we could as well agree on calling them "invitational with distribution".

Arend

I said you could equate it to a preempt but I do not like that definition. It does however show alot of trumps and a smattering of high cards, in that sense it is similar to a preempt. I tend to think Frances and I have the exact same definition for the bid since we both seem to expect partner to bid game on this hand type: trumps/controls.

You can probably call it a constructive raise with long spades. Something like:
SAQxxxx Hxxxx Dxx Cx. Still, playing it to show long spades and invitational has some merrits because if you bid 2S, partner may pass it when he holds 14HCP and 3 spades.

#27 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2005-June-20, 19:46

B) You should also consider that a cue bid is available to you in this auction. Most people do not play that it is forcing to game, but it is highly invitational. It could be used to handle the hand you had, although, personally, I think you have enough to insist on game. Three should probably be reserved for hands with a long, self-sustaining spade suit (eg. KQ10954) because partner may have a powerful hand without spades, and you do not want to cut across her intentions.
Trixi

#28 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-20, 19:56

I don't understand highly invitational and mildly invitational and invitational. Aren't these all just invitational? If a cuebid is "highly invitational or better" what is invitational supposed to do. Perhaps I'm oldschool (lol) but I learned bridge that there are three types of bids... non forcing, invitational, forcing.

#29 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2005-June-21, 02:32

Jlall, on Jun 20 2005, 06:56 PM, said:

I don't understand highly invitational and mildly invitational and invitational. Aren't these all just invitational?

;) Busted again. A lifetime as a courtier in the houses of the rich and powerful sometimes makes me talk like a *****. Still there is a mild distiction. Opposite an unlimited hand, in an auction like 1 - pass - 3 (forcing to game - not that anybody plays it this way - but is used to be the norm) - pass - 4 shows the ace of clubs and says that opener's hand is not bad if slam is in the wind. Mildly invitational.
Trixi

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users