• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urbana bridge link

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 13:12

http://advocate.home.insightbb.com/

The above link goes to my old old old home town District web page by Karen Walker. She does a terrific job.

#2 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-07, 13:30

Speaking about Karen Walker:
she wrote a series of articles for the acbl bulletin a while back about bidding 5-6 hands with limited opening high card count values (no mention of zars or ltc's, etc to my recollection). If memory serves me well, she presented the idea of playing a jump-reverse into the major as a method for showing such hands (versus splinters, min-splinters, etc). I am curious if anyone out there is playing this style?

She also has an entry in her web site about bidding weak 4-6 hands (4M-6m) after P's 1NT rebid. (e.g: 1D-1M-1N-3C = weak 4-6, to play in 3C. How many of you play this? Does anyone play the sequence 1NT-2C-2grapes-3m to play (a weak 4-6)? If yes, how do you show GI and GF 4-6 hands?
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#3 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 13:41

the first one 1D 1M 1N 3C = weak 4-6 to play is standard when playing New Minor Forcing

1N 2C 2D 3C = weak 4M6c is part of extended Garbage Stayman. Many experts play this, but it is not standard.

#4 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-07, 14:19

I play both, but it then creates the need for discussion of how to show GI or GF 4-6 when playing 4-suit transfers with pre-acceptance. I have my own ideas, but they run opposite of "traditional wisdom" (is that an oxymoron?) or commonly accepted "expert" bidding.

I have yet to try the 5-6 jump-reverse that K.W. wrote about. Would be curious to hear from people who have or do play it.

#5 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 15:10

The 5-6 jump reverse does not come up as much as the mini-splinter. I can bid the 5-6 simply by reversing and bidding again, but have no other way to show the mini-splinter.

So why have 2 ways to show one unlikely hand and no ways to show a more common hand?

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-07, 15:11

Double !, on Jun 7 2005, 07:30 PM, said:

She also has an entry in her web site about bidding weak 4-6 hands (4M-6m) after P's 1NT rebid. (e.g: 1D-1M-1N-3C = weak 4-6, to play in 3C. How many of you play this? Does anyone play the sequence 1NT-2C-2grapes-3m to play (a weak 4-6)? If yes, how do you show GI and GF 4-6 hands?

Hi the 1 I most liek is french Roudi:

after 1m
1M-1NT
2 is to play direcly at the 2 level
2NT is transfer to 3, to play 3 os show a limit 4-6 in .
2 is a limit+ relay, partner responses are 4 steps showing support and strenght:

2 /2 /2 /2NT
min/min/max/max
2cM/3cM/3cM/2cM

Another way to handle is with XYZ:

after 1m
1M-1NT
2 is trransfer to 2 showing either a limit hand or passing and playing 2.
2 is a GF hand
3 is to play

You don't have problems with strong ones, because strong ones always start bidding the longest suit: the minor.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-07, 15:14

About 5-6 I open 100% of the time the higer one, the only convention I play about it is that:

1-1NT
4 =6+5

while

1-1NT
4 =5+6

#8 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 15:27

agree that xyz makes life easier.

the issue of the weak 5-6 is more important to me: it indirectly caused me to get 0 points for my created reverse on BPO-00D, I think (qTxx,AK,AKQTxx,x. I maintained then and maintain now that the hand is too good for a 4C or 4D rebid. The idea of 3M as splinter is fine if that's the common interpretation. I might have suggested that bid instead of a reverse of 2H, in response to the hand BPO-OO2 D.
C'est la vie. (That's NYC street talk meaning that I want an appeals committee lololololol).

Muchas gracias, Sr. Fluffy

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users