Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

negative x opinions please

#1 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 04:25

after a 1 spade or 1 heart opening bid, I quite often get my self in trouble, using neg x, the reason seems to be, whilst 1,4,4,4 dist and 10 hcp is nice usually I end up with 1,3 major,4,5 or 2,3 major,4,4 and 10hcp

should I pass with only 3 of the major and wait to see what develops rather than x at every opportunity I get, the problem I get on occasions is playing in a 3/3major fit which goes down and then my p dissappearing

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-07, 04:56

ok,your partner opens 1s your rho bids 2c and you're 2344 with 10 hcp... the negative double should darn near guarantee 4 cards in the other major, imo... in this sequence it doesn't *have* to also show diamonds (tho usually will), but it should definitely show 4+ hearts...

only exception as far as i know is the game forcing neg x, playing nfb
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 06:27

My negative doubles treat all the unbid suits equally, but this is not standard probably.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-07, 07:25

This might help

1) if the negative double occurs at the one level, it DENIES a higher four card major.... thus, 1C-(1H)-DBL denies four spades, so shows diamonds and club support

2) If your partner opens a minor, and they overcall a 1S, double 100% promises 4+ hearts.

3) If there are two unbid majors, double promises support for at least one, and if only one, then you have support for partners minor (1D-(2c)-DBL)

if you are 2344 with two in their suit and three in the only other major, with 10 points, try this... RAISE YOUR PARTNER... (a funny concept often called support with support to help you remember it).

Ben
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2005-June-07, 07:31

Ben, is this right?

> 1) if the negative double occurs at the one level, it DENIES a higher four card major.... thus, 1C-(1H)-DBL denies four spades, so shows diamonds and club support

I could be wrong, but I thought with 5 you would respond 1, and with 4 you would make the Negative Double. I could be wrong, but I think this is what Marty Bergen wrote in his Negative Doubles book. (I'll check tonitght)

#6 User is offline   PMetsch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 07:46

sceptic, on Jun 7 2005, 05:25 AM, said:

after a 1 spade .... 2,3 major,4,4 and 10hcp

should I pass with only 3 of the major

If you can not bid 2NT, because you have no stopper in their suit, then you can either raise partner with a doubleton or bid a negative double. But if partner bids 2, you should give preference to 2. You bid exactly the same as in an uncontested situation, say: 1 - 1NT; 2 - 2.
Peter

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-07, 07:53

ArcLight, on Jun 7 2005, 09:31 AM, said:

Ben, is this right?

> 1) if the negative double occurs at the one level, it DENIES a higher four card major.... thus, 1C-(1H)-DBL denies four spades, so shows diamonds and club support

I could be wrong, but I thought with 5 you would respond 1, and with 4 you would make the Negative Double. I could be wrong, but I think this is what Marty Bergen wrote in his Negative Doubles book. (I'll check tonitght)

Well this an area of disagreement between authorities. Some recommend just as I have written (Robson/Segal for instance), some recommend that 1 on this auction promises five spades. I am not the least bit afraid of playing in a moysein fit, so I have no problem bidding four card majors and raising with three cards. So I follow the "teachings" of R/S. It also simplifies the competitive auction... now, I can show diamonds and club support (or just diamonds but weak) with a double of 1, or I can show spades by bidding them. There is no really ackward hand... for instance,

1C-(1H)-DBL-(PASS)
2C-(P)-2D <<<----- just diamonds and not strong enough for immediate 2D

I suggest this method to anyone who will listen, and certainly to people who have been doubling without four card spade suit (as suggested in the orginal post in this thread).

Ben
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-07, 09:00

The problem does not add up. With 2344 and 10HCP, after 1S 2C, you have 4clubs. You can choose to punish them with a penalty pass or bid 2N a little lite.

Maybe you are thinking of a more difficult situation:
1C 1S with 2353 hand and 10hcp. If your 5-card diam suit is too weak for a NFB (or not playing that). You are kind of stuck.

Most experts say to hold your nose and dbl on the principle that the one short in opps suit has to take action.

I saw an expert panel once (including 2 world champs) that responded to this particular question. The problem was even worse. It was 1C 2S and responder had 9 with 2362 distribution. The panel was almost unanimous about the Neg dbl (and value of NFB that solves some of the situations).

#9 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 09:16

Why try for the best possible bid when you can always get the best bid possible? This only depends on your partnership agreement and not bidding the same values twice. A good pard will protect when required and also expect that you may be under pressure for your action and act accordingly. Bridge bidding is such a beautiful language when we don't type it on the keyboard with a sledgehammer! :)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-07, 18:54

Curious about how many ascribe to the principle that the negX'er should have at least tolerance for opener's suit (e.g.: dbltn if P opens 1M) or extra values for safety?
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users