BBO Discussion Forums: Opening Lead - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening Lead partner doubles keycard response

Poll: what is your opening lead? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

what is your opening lead?

1. K spades (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. Qspades (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. x spades (0 votes [0.00%])

4. j hearts (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

5. q diamonds (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

6. x diamonds (14 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

7. 10 clubs (0 votes [0.00%])

8. x clubs (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-06, 16:52

What is your opening lead against this slam?

auction

1heart pass 2 clubs pass
2hearts pass 4 hearts pass
4NT pass 5 diamonds double
6 heart pass pass pass

Your lead please??

Your hand:
KQXXX
J
QXXX
10XX

#2 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-06, 16:53

a hand would help :blink:

#3 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-06, 16:55

YOUR TOO QUICK I WASNT DONE EDITING IT, YET :blink:

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-06, 17:28

i'll go back and read it later, but i do believe that in ewen's classic book on leads he says the only really good excuse for not leading the suit partner doubled is if you're void.. and that isn't likely
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-06, 17:34

luke warm, on Jun 6 2005, 06:28 PM, said:

i'll go back and read it later, but i do believe that in ewen's classic book on leads he says the only really good excuse for not leading the suit partner doubled is if you're void.. and that isn't likely

Even though P has doubled D's Jimmy goes out on a limb to lead a D so I will too.
Those who lead spades have found good reasons to not play with partner anymore.

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-06, 17:36

hehehe.. well it has the added advantage of letting you win the postmortem
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-06, 17:43

Depends on who's partners, with 95% of them is auto-led, but there are some who jsut make too much lead directing bids, some of them fake :blink:.

#8 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-June-06, 18:46

I'm leading Q --- first rule is to TRUST partner -- he doubled for a D lead so lead on I will :rolleyes:

#9 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-06, 19:34

My pards prefer me to think than to follow old maxims. But here's a few good reasons to lead a diamond.

1) My gut tells me that RHO isn't scared of a diamond lead, with a holding of say Axx. Therefore, its a good chance that Lho has that card, which might be a late entry to the clubs. Similarly, RHO isn't off 2 quick diamonds either.

2) If LHO has the AD, RHO probably has the AS. So, a spade might be into the teeth of an AJT or Axx (with the J in dummy) or AJ9.

#10 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-06, 22:56

small diamond. He Xed hehe

#11 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 06:54

J with my reg p, x with anyone else

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2005-June-07, 07:40

I want to know more about the auction. What kind of game is it, what is the vul? Could partner's double be save suggesting? Was 4 a picture jump? South rebid only 2 then forced to slam. What would 5 by south have been (instead of 4nt), exclusion or cue? Sounds like south is counting on 5/6 + 5, so we may need to cash to beat this.

I am never leaving a trump or a club. It also sounds like we have a key card, so how best are we going to set up a trick? To mastermind with a spade lead might get you a new partner, but I certainly would consider it. It is hard to imagine a hand where partner doesn't have the diamond ACE and legnth, unless they are vul and we are not and he was suggesting a save.

One can draw up hands where a spade lead is the only one that works. I guess I would lead a diamond, out of partnership harmony if nothing else.
--Ben--

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2005-June-07, 08:05

Partner doesn't usually make a lead-directing double off an ACE, as if you have a KQ and he has an ace, it's the KQ you want to lead.

Partner is more likely to have the DK (possibly KJ) plus a keycard.
I would lead a diamond, though I know a spade could be right.

I assume 2H was forcing or the auction is insane? Depending on their bidding methods & the meaning of 5D, the hand could be something like:

xxx
Kxx
Jx
AQJxx

A
AQJ10xx
Axx
xxx

(Why didn't declarer look for 7H? I don't know, perhaps 4H showed a minimum and he was worried about club losers)

Now admittedly the hand could equally well be the same but with declarer's pointed suits the other way round, in which case a spade lead is right, but when I have fewer diamonds than spades it is more likely that we have a second round diamond trick than a second round spade trick.

#14 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 08:41

Depends whether having the K makes pard more likely to have diamond length Frances...should we ask David Burn? :)

#15 User is offline   PriorKnowledge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 09:06

QD (in case my shy partner has AJx), tho xD has merit. Why bother having a partner if you don't trust his/her advice?

#16 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2005-June-07, 09:25

My only question is " if you play a low D, will pard insert the J with Kx on the board? If not, then he has the D ace (the missing keycard) and leading the D Q could be a disaster. Obviously you want to lead the S K without the DBL, but while pard may not always be right, he is always your pard and his instructions are to be respected. The D sac at favorable vul. would also be a cogent option. :)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#17 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-07, 14:27

Question/ pardon my ignorance, but

Why is partner hitting 5D for a lead with Ace of diamonds and out in that suit? The bidding suggests that declarer isn't very worried about diamond losers. KJTx is reasonable, as is AKxxx when declarer has a stiff. If the latter, and I lead the queen, I am on lead at trick 2 and might have a good idea what to lead then. As usual, my reasoning is probably demented but that's my thinking. I would also want to know if the opps play lho's bidding as a shape raise?
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#18 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-08, 15:36

Al_U_Card, on Jun 7 2005, 10:25 AM, said:

My only question is " if you play a low D, will pard insert the J with Kx on the board?  If not, then he has the D ace (the missing keycard) and leading the D Q could be a disaster.  Obviously you want to lead the S K without the DBL, but while pard may not always be right, he is always your pard and his instructions are to be respected.  The D sac at favorable vul. would also be a cogent option. :)

you hit the nail on the head! Will partner be brave enough now to insert the J from AJT98.

So how firm are your agreements on what a small card lead is? Does it definitely promise an honor then no problem, But with an infrequent partner what do you do?

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2005-June-08, 16:14

pigpenz, on Jun 8 2005, 03:36 PM, said:

you hit the nail on the head! Will partner be brave enough now to insert the J from AJT98.

So how firm are your agreements on what a small card lead is? Does it definitely promise an honor then no problem, But with an infrequent partner what do you do?

Don't think it matters what my agreement is. If I double 5D blackwood, and partner leads a small diamond, it means he had one. If he has 532, he'll lead the 5, but he'll do that from Q765 as well (or D5 alone, or...)

I said "lead a diamond, partner". He'll do that, even if he has to find one from another deck. If he has one to lead that bears some resemblance to a normal lead, that's a bonus.

Michael.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-08, 18:15

Q will help when both partner has AJ, dummy has K AND RHO is stupid.

In all other lay outs it will only help to squeeze partner.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users