BBO Discussion Forums: Slam investigation after (1S)-DBL-(4S)-? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam investigation after (1S)-DBL-(4S)-?

#1 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-June-06, 09:22

I would appreciate feedback on the questions below, referring to:
a. what you think is "standard" in a pickup pship
b. what you think is more effective (e.g., what you would agree with your favourite pard)

Thanks a lot !! :rolleyes:

Mauro
-----------------------------

(1S)-DBL-(4S)-?

Say you have a slammish hand with heart fit as advancer and ONLY needs Keycards.

Do you have a method to ask keycards for hearts ?

What would 4NT be ?
.....If it is for minors, what do you bid when you only need keycards to bid a slam ?
.....If it is keycard ask, what do you bid when you have 55+ in minors and slammish ?

What would 5m be ? (to play or cue for H ?)
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-06, 09:26

Marty Bergen recommends in these types of auctions to just try and bid the best game and make reaching slam a very low priority in the bidding.
I have improved my results and have had many fewer bidding misunderstandings since following this advice.

#3 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-06, 10:06

When you have 3 parking spaces you can't park 8 cars. This is very simple. So you are not going to find a way to describe all the different holdings that you can have after such an auction.
With my pd I play:

1s-x-4s

X = General values, not sure about where to play, denies 2 suits, generally 4333 or 5332 with a 5 card minor.
4N = Can play in 2 suits. (4-4 or 5-4)
5c,5d,5h = To play.
The legend of the black octogon.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-06, 10:50

anti-cuebid is probably the best way to handle (bidding the suit you don't stop).

4NT for keycards. 5 as just a limit bid.

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2005-June-06, 11:52

a) You can't fit everything in
B) It is exceptionally rare to have a hand that "just needs keycards" to make 6H. For one thing, the A & K of trumps are not really equivalent as a finesse through the opening bidder is pretty good odds; then the presence of the Jack of trumps makes a big difference. In fact I don't think I've ever seen such a hand in real life.

So I play

x = general non-spade values, partner will pass most of the time he has a doubleton spade and some of the time with a singleton.

4NT = two places to play, often 5-5 (many 5-4 hands would double). As a bonus, 1S x 4S 4NT p 5C p 5H shows a slam try in hearts. Though if partner bid 5D over 4NT you can't show a slam try in hearts.

In general, out of the many uses of 4NT (RKCB, natural, two places to play, encouraging/discouraging, good 5-suit bid) RKCB is the first to go as it's the least useful.

#6 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-06, 15:35

frances is spot on. X here is just convertible values, 4N=2 places to play or heart slam try. Keycards are a very low priority when you havent found a fit yet. Bidding here is just revolving around finding the best fit, so 4N is definitely 2 places to play. Whenever a 4N bid is 2 places to play if you bid 4N then the highest ranking suit thats a slam try.

#7 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-06, 17:32

i'm used to 4nt showing 2 places to play.. is hearts your only suit, mauro? btw, is x responsive? if not, why not?.. i think i'd bid 5 and fake a smile if we had slam.. 'course partner can bid on
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-June-06, 17:47

mmmm? I though you were looking to play 6 :blink:.

ok, the only way I know to get to 6m is to bid it.

X + pull to 5 should be a slam trial, but risking it to be passed is really ugly.

more safer is a 4NT-5-5 bid since you would bid 5 with red 2 suiter, 5 is an impossible bid and would show slam invitation.

#9 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 00:34

Another vote for 4NT as two places to play.

Slam is quite unusual on this auction. Hands where I am only interested in keycards, but can't blast directly to slam are unheard of (in my experience). Certainly not worth wasting a useful bid over.

And you must leave 5m to play. Just because partner doubled a 1 opening shouldn't mean that we are only looking for contracts!

That leaves double as a good hand without much distribution. Partner will usually pass.

Eric

#10 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-07, 05:08

luis, on Jun 6 2005, 11:06 AM, said:

When you have 3 parking spaces you can't park 8 cars. This is very simple. So you are not going to find a way to describe all the different holdings that you can have after such an auction.
With my pd I play:

1s-x-4s

X = General values, not sure about where to play, denies 2 suits, generally 4333 or 5332 with a 5 card minor.
4N = Can play in 2 suits. (4-4 or 5-4)
5c,5d,5h = To play.

Agree with Luis and I think it's fairly "standard", isn't it ?

Alain
Alain

#11 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-June-07, 08:04

as a side note, if you are a 1354 and your partner bids 4N over 4S, you should bid 5C. If he has hearts/clubs as his 2 suits to play you need to play clubs. If he has the minors, clubs is rarely very much inferior to diamonds, and could be a better or equal fit. It's important not to get to hearts though when partner has hearts/clubs.

#12 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-June-07, 18:57

In response to "if you have only three parking places, you can't park 8 cars":

Luis, when was the last time you were in New York City?
and you pay through the nose for it!
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users