Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple include lists Separate lists for different tournaments

#1 User is offline   jdempsey52 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-09, 14:24

I want to run different tournaments for a new virtual club.

I would like to use different include lists for different tournaments - is this possible?

I can setup a tournament with an include list.

If I then upload a different include list and set up a second tournament, will the first tournament keep the list it was setup with or will it now be over-written by the new list?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-10, 04:23

View Postjdempsey52, on 2020-May-09, 14:24, said:

I want to run different tournaments for a new virtual club.

I would like to use different include lists for different tournaments - is this possible?

I can setup a tournament with an include list.

If I then upload a different include list and set up a second tournament, will the first tournament keep the list it was setup with or will it now be over-written by the new list?

The first tournament will keep the first list, but it will refresh it if it's modified in any way.

So once you posted tournament #1 with list #1, you can't touch tournament #1 at all. Or, you can touch it and remember to re-load the correct list.

#3 User is offline   jdempsey52 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-10, 23:45

Thank you. That's very clear - I think the admin involved in keeping track of which list matches which tournament and making sure you uploaded it at every modification would be counterproductive and only lead to errors.

#4 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-11, 02:57

View Postjdempsey52, on 2020-May-10, 23:45, said:

Thank you. That's very clear - I think the admin involved in keeping track of which list matches which tournament and making sure you uploaded it at every modification would be counterproductive and only lead to errors.

I am very pleased to have this new tool; and will not deny that by suggesting improvements.

I will, however, note that this tool requires the user to browse and choose the file to be uploaded.
The original windows version (5.2.21) of the tournament set-up had a choice for limiting entries to "include players from a file on your PC". If this choice was set then every time that the tournament was modified the user was put into browse mode and had to choose the file again.
This ensured that the user could use different files for different tournaments.
A similar feature with the latest browser version tournament setup would help jdempsey52 with his problem.
I note that it is possible that the new tool might be incorporated in an update of the tournament setup routine, in which case we might expect two new "Restrictions":

• Include players from a file on your PC
  • Exclude players from a file on your PC

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-12, 09:51

View Postjandrew, on 2020-May-11, 02:57, said:

I am very pleased to have this new tool; and will not deny that by suggesting improvements.

I will, however, note that this tool requires the user to browse and choose the file to be uploaded.
The original windows version (5.2.21) of the tournament set-up had a choice for limiting entries to "include players from a file on your PC". If this choice was set then every time that the tournament was modified the user was put into browse mode and had to choose the file again.
This ensured that the user could use different files for different tournaments.
A similar feature with the latest browser version tournament setup would help jdempsey52 with his problem.
I note that it is possible that the new tool might be incorporated in an update of the tournament setup routine, in which case we might expect two new "Restrictions":

• Include players from a file on your PC
  • Exclude players from a file on your PC

This is not possible because browser applications are not allowed to access files on your PC without the user selecting them explicitly. This is a necessary security feature to prevent web sites from accessing your personal data.

#6 User is offline   rph 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-18, 00:41

Hello,
Is it possible to envisage this functionality through a "mini-cloud" or shared folder ?
Thanks for reading me

#7 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-18, 03:45

View Postbarmar, on 2020-May-12, 09:51, said:

This is not possible because browser applications are not allowed to access files on your PC without the user selecting them explicitly. This is a necessary security feature to prevent web sites from accessing your personal data.

Nor did the original version (5.2.21) allow access to the users computer.
The new tool asks the user to browse to the relevant file and explicitly accept the upload. That is precisely what the windows version did.

Surely it is possible, when porting the new tool into the tournament set-up routine, to follow the current tool's procedure of asking the user to browse to and explicitly accept the upload of the file.
This would allow a choice from multiple files - choosing the one relevant to the particular tournament.
In short - exactly what the windows version did very successfully.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users