BBO Discussion Forums: From the Polish Trials - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

From the Polish Trials

#1 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2005-May-28, 03:59

I was browsing the pictures of the Polish Trials, and noticed something interesting.

In the picture the cards of the dummy were oriented not in the North American manner of vertical columns, with the card running downward. Instead the cards were oriented horizontally cascading downwards.

Anyone ever seen this before?
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#2 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-May-28, 22:03

Vancouver Island Posse, on May 28 2005, 04:59 AM, said:

I was browsing the pictures of the Polish Trials, and noticed something interesting.

In the picture the cards of the dummy were oriented not in the North American manner of vertical columns, with the card running downward.

and since when, may i ask, is North America (hail O Empire ) responsible for the evolution of the card faces that have been around before the pilgrims decided to persecute turkeys....

Vancouver Island Posse, on May 28 2005, 04:59 AM, said:

Instead the cards were oriented horizontally cascading downwards.

Still trying to find something that the Poles do that is common to everyone else...geez they even bid differently...

And if you ever saw my ex-mother-in-law, and her friends, drive you would agree that they do lots of things differently

to answer your question sewiously...

Polish inherited Russian face cards which were arranged so....the Western European and Russian/Baltic card arrangements (whatever the word is, i know it ends in an -ology) evolved quasi-independently

Alessio
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#3 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-May-29, 07:13

I got a few complaints from specs who were unable to see the cards at all! It's not that easy to watch bridge then :huh:

Uday probably has a logical explanation.

Roland

P.S. Use the A, K, Q, 5, 4 option instead. Those cards always stay where they are.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-29, 08:04

If you are saying some specs could see no hands unless they switched to 'Hand diagram' mode, I dont have a good answer but maybe FG will when he returns.

If anyone has more details, let me know, pls. Do we have a cpoy of that particular vugraph ?

#5 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-May-29, 08:15

All segments are stored in our vugraph archives (Polish National Trials, segments 20 through 28). I suppose that only a handful had that particular problem, not being able to see the hands at all no matter what they did. Otherwise I would have got many more messages.

And I don't know if that problem applied to pictured cards only, or hand diagram as well. I never use pictured cards myself.

Maybe Marek Wojciechowski, our chief operator in Poland, has the answer.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users