BBO Discussion Forums: HAIL TO THE VICTORS - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HAIL TO THE VICTORS All Bow to Team Ekeblad RAH!

#21 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-May-23, 20:27

Of course the REALLY interesting question is why Fred is being so quiet?

Fred is rumored to be somewhat shy... Its entirely possible that he is embarassed by all the attention. Then again, he might have gone on the mother of all benders on Sunday night.

Oh well, regardless how amusing (sadistic) it might be to picture Fred incapacitated by bed spins, he's probably "just" travelling...
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-23, 20:55

hrothgar, on May 24 2005, 02:27 AM, said:

Of course the REALLY interesting question is why Fred is being so quiet?

Fred is rumored to be somewhat shy...  Its entirely possible that he is embarassed by all the attention.  Then again, he might have gone on the mother of all benders on Sunday night.

Oh well, regardless how amusing (sadistic) it might be to picture Fred incapacitated by bed spins, he's probably "just" travelling...

I guess the main reason I am being quiet is that I got home today around noon and I am leaving for another tournament early tomorrow morning. I had to spend most of today catching up on phone messages and e-mail so I have not had much time for making noise.

However, I would like to take a moment to say how touched I was by all the supportive forums posts, e-mails, and BBO mail messages I received during the past week or so. Knowing that so many BBO members were cheering for our team just might have made a difference.

I should also mention that I agree with Hrothgar that the hand near the end where Rosenberg made 6 was a GREAT hand. I suspect I will always remember it.

For the record, our team tried to do some serious partying Sunday night, but most of us (including me) were too exhausted to really get into the spirit of things.

Probably I won't be making any more posts during the next week as I will be busy playing 3 sessions a day in the Colorado Springs Regional (groan). If people have questions about some of the hands from the Team Trials I will try to answer them some time next week.

Thanks again everyone for your support of our team!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#23 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-24, 12:46

Gerben42, on May 23 2005, 05:09 AM, said:

To quote your fearless leader: "You forgot about Poland"

Unfortunately, the strongest polish pair Balicki-Zmudzinski cancelled their
start in the national trials, Jacek Pszczola will not represent Poland in the Bermuda Bowl too.
Without those players the chances to get into top 4 are rather small.

But there are a very strong generation of polish juniors,
maybe they will be able to achive the same successes during
the next ten years...
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#24 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2005-May-24, 13:18

I don't think the Poles are going to do anything this year. I eagerly await WJ2005 in competition however.

As much as I will enjoy seeing both USA teams in competition, I don't know if they will necessarily be the most "exciting" team. That distinction (yes this will be contested) might go to Team Canada, with two juniors leading the way (Wolpert-Demuy). We're also starting to see other juniors up here in the True North coming out of the woodwork which is heartwarming.

I also like the karma of the Australians as well.

All in all, a nice drama building. Seeing Fred (and team) win it can't but help the growing popularity of BBO, but more importantly, the bridge community feels that we've won one collectively. It's a nice feeling in this age of sharpness and occasional intolerance that for a few minutes, most everyone was of one mind: that being Fred finishing the deal. After all that Fred has invested in the game, he was long overdue to reap the rewards. Well done.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#25 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-May-24, 13:21

seeing pepsi in the trials was really funny... I was joking with him that he needs to change his name to Jack to sound like a real American ;)

Gavin/Vince aren't on the Canadian open team as far as I know.

#26 User is offline   glen1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-May-24, 21:32

Jlall, on May 24 2005, 07:21 PM, said:

Gavin/Vince aren't on the Canadian open team as far as I know.

The Canadian team now Qs the same year as the world event - the final of the Canadian National Team Championship is on BBO vugraph, Saturday June 4th. Maybe not the drama city of the US trials, but some hard fought bridge nonetheless.

This year's teams are:

http://www.cbf.ca/BW...05_rosters.html

Including: Nicolas L'Écuyer, Kamel Fergani, Jurek Czyzowicz, Darren Wolpert, Gavin Wolpert, Vincent Demuy

In order to inoculate Jurek from bad results from teammates, my wife and I are playing on his team tomorrow in a local match against another CNTC attending team.

#27 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-May-24, 21:34

yes but they havent won it so they arent on the team lol. If they do win this year its a different matter of course. Thats all i was saying.

#28 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-May-25, 00:15

glen, on May 24 2005, 10:32 PM, said:

.... the final of the Canadian National Team Championship is on BBO vugraph, Saturday June 4th.

.... and Friday the 3rd. We will be showing all 8 segments of 16 boards in the finals.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#29 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-May-25, 02:39

I thought that Balicki - Zmudzinski were automatically qualified. In one way it is sad that one of the medal favorites is not sending their strongest team, but on the other hand this will promise much for the future if the youngsters can measure themselves against the very best. And who knows, they might get as far as the young Dutch team in Istanbul!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#30 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2005-May-28, 03:18

I'm rooting personally for the Hargreaves lineup to do well - just because they are the only Vancouver Island-centric team we have.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users