• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good luck to Team Ekeblad 2005 United States Bridge Championships

#21 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-May-21, 08:39

It must have been tough for Deb watching her husband's team in OT, when just about every commentator was pulling for Ekeblad. I don't blame her if some things she said reflected her frustration.

I just can't believe Drewsky didn't crack 4 - FP or not. Where's pard's points? he must have a couple of minor tricks.
"Phil" on BBO

#22 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-21, 08:41

shoeless, on May 21 2005, 01:01 AM, said:

I think this whole thing is rigged as a promotional ploy for BBO by Fred.  Surely to goodness what we witnessed in both matches a few hours ago can't be real.  Like he is setting us to pay in the future - and who wouldn't after that.  This is like some kind of amazing magic show - go Freddie go.

Well said.

Jimmy the only bias I really noticed was the rooting for exciting hands, rooting for close match and the usual "the team behind needs to do such and such to pull into the lead" stuff.

Wow, what matches and fun, thanks Players and BBO.

#23 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-May-21, 09:08

Can't grumble about the semi-finals! Even the technical problems were beautifully timed to add to the excitement. Gl to Fred against his old team.

#24 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-May-21, 09:08

mike777, on May 21 2005, 08:41 AM, said:

Jimmy the only bias I really noticed was the rooting for exciting hands, rooting for close match  and the usual "the team behind needs to do such and such to pull into the lead" stuff.

now don't get me wrong, if it's acceptable for the commentators, almost en masse, to obviously show their preference, that's fine... otoh, if they should be like keith jackson, giving a 'whoa nellie' to both teams, then this wasn't that

yes, there was a whole lot of objective commentary... but there was a whole lot of no-doubt-who-we're-for commentary also... again, that is only wrong in my view when one takes into account the totality of the audience

i've seen debbie work as a commentator when her husband is one of the players... you'd not know who she was pulling for by her comments
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#25 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-21, 09:10

If I am confused it won't be the first or last time, but debrose is Debra Rosenberg, is she not, and her husband Michael was playing on Welland against Robinson not on the Ekeland team in OT.

Luke may well be looking into the future here, as Welland meets Ekeland.

Being from the DC area and a great fan of Robinson and Boyd, I watched a lot of that extraordinary match. Debra was a commentator and while she no doubt had a preference for how the match came out she was not only gracious but also a wonderful addition to the group. She knew in detail the systemic agreements, knew their styles, could contribute personal stories and so on.

Perhaps it will be tough for her commenting in the finals with many BBO folks cheering on Ekeblad against her husband's team, but I'm betting she will be there. I sure hope so.

Ken
Ken

#26 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-21, 09:22

pclayton, on May 21 2005, 03:39 PM, said:

It must have been tough for Deb watching her husband's team in OT, when just about every commentator was pulling for Ekeblad.

She wasn't - Her husband plays for Welland, they won the other match

#27 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2005-May-21, 17:44

you're right ken, scotty was on another team... and i'm not in the least being critical, it would have been hard for me not to show my support had i been commentating... but i can also see how others might be a tad put off
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#28 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-21, 18:27

The pressure and exhaustion must be overwhelming at times.

The past week and today, Saturday, we see so many poor bidding judgements on slams and other hands. I take into consideration these are long term bidding partnerships, not bbo level pick up partners.

The play of the hands by all and some of Zia's opening leads have been World Class.

I get the strong impression the team that makes the least intermediate level bidding mistakes will win.

Most of these poorish slam bidding hands I would not bother to post as too easy.

Bottom line, great World Class playing of hands and defense by all under great pressure. I would not be surprised to see vast majority, not me, of forum posters bid as well or better on these hands with their favorite partners.

#29 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2005-May-21, 21:54

mike777, on May 21 2005, 07:27 PM, said:

I would not be surprised to see vast majority, not me, of forum posters bid as well or better on these hands with their favorite partners.

Speaking for myself, I wish.

My wife doesn't play, but has learned tidbits since marrying me. I was explaining the winning 6D bid of Zia against Robinson on the last and decisive hand of a 120 board match. I told her that Kantar in one of his books on defense said something like "You can trust that a sane declarer will not bid six with two quick losers in an unbid suit". Of course 5D making 6 would have had his team winning by 1 imp (I think that is correct).

I think the sessions on Saturday, all rooms, will be talked about for years.

Ken
Ken

#30 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2005-May-22, 04:23

I have watched quite a bit of the vuegraph (nothing of the final yet, though), and must say I have thus far missed all these poor bidding judgements. And Zia's 6 bid on the final board of the semi-finals certainly wasn't one. My guess he did assume that the fate of 6 would be on the opening lead. What he couldn't know is that just making 5 would have been enough to tie the match, and from his point of view it seemed reasonable to assume that they need another swing (he could not know that on an early hand, where his partner made 6NT, where 6 is cold and 6 makeable, the last contract went down in the other room).

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#31 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2005-May-22, 08:37

i'm not sure, but mike might be talking about the seemingly easy game and slam hands that are *not* bid... there do seem to be rather a lot of those, but there are a lot of factors that enter into it

#32 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-22, 18:15

21 ahead with 13 to go. Fred = on fire! Allez Allez Allez!!!!!!

#33 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2005-May-22, 19:25

41 with 3 to go :D)

#34 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-22, 19:38

Safe to say - Team Ekeblad wins!

#35 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2005-May-22, 19:42

and i'll see you in portugal... i plan on winning the powerball between now and then

#36 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2005-May-22, 19:56

hmm, Portugal in October....

wwoooooppppppppeeeeeeeeee! :D
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#37 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2005-May-22, 20:10

:D :D :lol: :P :rolleyes: :D :lol:
Ken

#38 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2005-May-22, 21:04

Where's the port and the olives? :D
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#39 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-22, 23:24

Congratulations!

I was worried when the second session was finished.
Senshu

#40 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-23, 01:18

Well done/ great vugraph!
Why is the name of the team Ekeblad? Is he the sponsor, best player,...? (...why not BBO :ph34r: )

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

36 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users