BBO Discussion Forums: Partnership discipline - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partnership discipline

Poll: Partnership discipline (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Was it correct to bid?

1. Yes, obvious, would even do it with less (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Yes (7 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. No but close (4 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

4. No way (9 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Now what?

1. Pass (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. Rebid H (12 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. Other (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

If partner had rebid only 2D (F1 but not GF)?

1. Pass (4 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. Rebid H (16 votes [76.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.19%

3. Other (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-July-28, 05:45

View Postapollo1201, on 2019-July-26, 13:42, said:

Interested to know your thoughts about that. It was IMPs, green vs red opps. But I am more interested in the general philisophy.

Partenr opens 1, RHO passes, and you have

Jxx
QTxxxx
xxx
x

I decided to bid 1. Promising 5-6 minimum, that I obviously didn't have.

On that, LHO also passes and partner bids a GF 2. Usually 5+, 4+ and some 20 HCP or more. She could have a GF "by herself" (i.e. not taking into account my 5-6 HCPs) 2-suiter that she preferred opening at the 1 level (to ease description, save space, be more prepared if opps preempt...), or could even have a 3415 too strong to splinter.

2 is absolutely forcing, but...answer easier at MPs I guess...so what now?

And if partner "only" reverses with 2 (in that case, she can't have 4-cd support)?

I passed throughout I always get nervous when partner bids my singleton suit as its usually early warning there is a misfit.
I've learned though long experience that misfits should be played as at low a level as possible.
I take the view that since I have a singleton in partners suit,he will equally have a singleton in mine. The problem with bidding on this hand is that
you've changed the suit which is forcing which obliges partner to bid again. It would be OK if he bids a second suit asking you
for preference but what do you do if he simply rebids his clubs? You pushed up the level of the bidding when there was no justifiable
reason for doing so...certainly not holding 3 points. You have a very weak hand and so its vital you let partner know this as soon as possible by passing
his opening bid.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#22 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-28, 06:27

View PostPhilG007, on 2019-July-28, 05:45, said:

I passed throughout I always get nervous when partner bids my singleton suit as its usually early warning there is a misfit.
I've learned though long experience that misfits should be played as at low a level as possible.
I take the view that since I have a singleton in partners suit,he will equally have a singleton in mine. The problem with bidding on this hand is that
you've changed the suit which is forcing which obliges partner to bid again. It would be OK if he bids a second suit asking you
for preference but what do you do if he simply rebids his clubs? You pushed up the level of the bidding when there was no justifiable
reason for doing so...certainly not holding 3 points. You have a very weak hand and so its vital you let partner know this as soon as possible by passing
his opening bid.

You need to acknowledge that passing can be good or bad here, you're not going to enjoy passing out 1 opposite say Kxxx, AK, AKx, Qxxx where your hand is at least 4 tricks better in hearts. You're much more likely to make 3 than 1.

#23 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-July-28, 06:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-July-28, 06:27, said:

You need to acknowledge that passing can be good or bad here, you're not going to enjoy passing out 1 opposite say Kxxx, AK, AKx, Qxxx where your hand is at least 4 tricks better in hearts. You're much more likely to make 3 than 1.

I accept that passing can be a double edged sword but that its better to err on the side of caution.rather than risk taking Quixotic speculations.
I've also learned the hard way not to put cards into partners. hand. As like as not,they won't be there(!) I still maintain that passing and awaiting
developments is the correct strategy in this situation. LHO is in the pass out seat and may well come into the auction rather than allow 1 to go
unchallenged in which case partner,if he holds a strong hand is more than likely to come back with a rebid further describing his hand.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#24 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-28, 09:25

It seems to me that the main reason for dredging up a 1H response is in case partner has a big hand. It therefore seems illogical to pass when partner confirms that he really does have a huge hand.

#25 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-28, 15:52

The last few posts illustrate just a couple of the reasons why I don't play 2/1 or similar systems (at least not in serious partnerships). I've never understood why anyone would play a system where your strong opener is only utilized for 1/225 hands. That puts so much strain on the rest of your system for the remaining 224/225 hands... And really, minor suit openings are borderline artificial in systems where major suit openings show 5+. If you want proof of this reality, look no further than the fact that reverse flannery is this partnerships agreement over a minor suit opening. Not playing weak jump shifts over a minor suit opening in a system that needs it the most due to the wide range in possible strengths... Why? Because this system isn't tailored to establishing fits early in auctions. Why? Because this system doesn't narrow the range of strengths of the opener fast enough (fast enough being with the FIRST bid), so there are competing interests on continuation bids that must be considered when agreeing on your responses...

For a "standard" system, I can't fathom how there is so much confusion over the meaning of bids sometimes... Not in this particular example... But you get the point, hopefully. I realize this isn't so constructive, but maybe it provides some insight as to the considerations that are necessary when forming agreements in 2/1?

#26 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-July-29, 11:29

Late to the thread, but here are my thoughts fwiw:

1. I would always respond 1H to 1C, even if playing that 1C showed 3+ (I happen to play transfer walsh in my two current serious partnerships, and 1C could be on 2).

There are at least two reasons for this. Btw, I don't 'promise 5-6 hcp' for this bid, and few NA experts would, either.

a. Partner will be making any number of rebids, but most of them will leave me better positioned than passing 1C. He may bid notrump, and I will go back to hearts. Now, I hope that over 2N I can get out in 3H (there are at least two decent methods that allow that, Wolff signoff or transfers). But even if we are compelled to 4H, it may have a play and may be better than 1C anyway. He may raise hearts! He may bid spades: I have an easy pass of 1S, for example. Of course, some rebids, in clubs, are going to make me wish I had passed. On balance, however, my experience is that we will more often improve the contract by bidding than by passing

b. We pass and the opps may have an easy 'penalty' pass, but this is linked to point 1. However, the other aspect of bidding over passing is that LHO may be unable or unwilling to bid over our unlimited 1H call, and so we may be able to jam the auction merely by suggesting values and taking away at least a modicum of bidding space.

Having ventured 1H, partner bids 2S. Forcing. And we have all been trained that passing a forcing bid is a mortal sin.

Rules are guidelines. Passing a forcing bid is not something to be done more than a handful of times in a bridge lifetime, but bidding here is ignoring the object of the game: to maximize our score.

We can be fairly confident that 2S will make. We can be almost as confident that 4S won't (though it is far from impossible).

Were we playing imps, I would bid: what I would bid would depend on agreements. I like 2N here as ambiguous, with 2N then 3S being the weakest holding I could have, but that may not be available. I think 3S should be more encouraging than 4S, but I'd like to know something about partner's experience, and tendencies before making my call. At imps, passing and finding partner with, say, AKQ109 x x AKxxxx, which is borderline for 2S in terms of hcp (but not playing strength), would be too depressing. At mps, however, we are concerned with frequency of gain, not size of gain, and the smart money says that 4S will usually be too high.

Obviously one needs a tolerant partner. The better the player, the more likely it is that passing would be understood, even if it led to a missed game. Experts understand that rules are guidelines, and one of the traits that make a player an expert is good judgement, including when to choose to break a 'rule'.

I see some comments suggesting weak jump shifts as the answer.

I don't play weak jump shifts. I have played them often, and still play them with the occasional non-expert partner, when he or she prefers, but I find them to be suboptimal. Right now, I prefer 1m 2H to be a balanced invite in notrump. One needs reasonable follow-ups but it is a powerful method. I have previously used it as meckwell (currently 1C 2D is meckwell, but we don't have gadget over 1D).

Bridge is fascinating in part because people tend to have strong opinions even when, viewed objectively, the situation is far more nuanced than the opinion-holder appears to recognize. This thread is an excellent example of that, including some of the comments.

For example, using this thread to criticize 2/1 is, imo, too simplistic. Yes, 2/1 has a fundamental flaw in that the 1 level suit openings are very wide range, and it often takes 2 or more rounds of bidding for the hands to be more narrowly defined. However, the popular alternative big club methods have different but, imo, equally problematic flaws. Without discussing 1D openings (because different pairs play different length agreements), the 2C opening is theoretically unsound, and the 1C opening is, admittedly infrequently, far more prone to successful preemption than is a 2/1 2C opening (because the low end of the 1C is so much lower than the low end of 2C, meaning that it is more difficult/dangerous for the 1C opener to compete after preemption than for the 2C opener. In addition, on many 2/1 hands, opener has bid a suit before the preemption, so fits may already be found).

All methods involve compromise. Imo, a fairly simple 2/1 method is more effective than a correspondingly simple 1C method. A powerful 1C method is probably better than a correspondingly good 2/1 method. In this forum, the 2/1 method is probably superior. I used to play two different big club methods, and so my views on this are based not only on observation but also experience.

Finally, I see cyber suggests playing 1S as forcing. I think it makes almost no sense to do so. When, if 1S is forcing, is opener ever going to limit his hand? I have known several non-experts play 1S as forcing. I have never seen a NA expert do so. Of course, low-frequency issues like this tend to persist because the sequence arises infrequently, and opener rarely has the big hand and, when he does, the partnership usually stumbles into the right spot anyway. Which is one reason bridge is so fascinating. No matter how silly our methods may be, we get enough good results, and tend to ignore the bad ones, that we can tell ourselves that our methods are good.

I do realize that all of this applies to me as well :rolleyes:
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#27 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-29, 14:00

View Postmikeh, on 2019-July-29, 11:29, said:

For example, using this thread to criticize 2/1 is, imo, too simplistic. Yes, 2/1 has a fundamental flaw in that the 1 level suit openings are very wide range, and it often takes 2 or more rounds of bidding for the hands to be more narrowly defined. However, the popular alternative big club methods have different but, imo, equally problematic flaws. Without discussing 1D openings (because different pairs play different length agreements), the 2C opening is theoretically unsound, and the 1C opening is, admittedly infrequently, far more prone to successful preemption than is a 2/1 2C opening (because the low end of the 1C is so much lower than the low end of 2C, meaning that it is more difficult/dangerous for the 1C opener to compete after preemption than for the 2C opener. In addition, on many 2/1 hands, opener has bid a suit before the preemption, so fits may already be found).

I do realize that all of this applies to me as well :rolleyes:

I hope I wasn't misunderstood when I was stating my opinions on 2/1. I was just trying to illustrate the very real difficulties in playing it, difficulties that you agreed with. These are the sort of hands that can make your life hell if you're not playing in a very solid partnership, and even when you are, it's far from ideal. I mean, it's perfectly "playable", but I do believe far from optimal. I'm not seeking to steer people away from whatever system they want to play, but, one should be aware of the difficulties of your system when making agreements. Rather, it seems to me that many people just make somewhat random agreements.

Also, I'd like to address some of your points on Big/Strong Club systems. I personally believe that Strong Club systems are best when played with 4-card majors. I personally play 4-card majors and Canape, and do not experience any burden upon my 1D/2C opener whatsoever. This is especially effective alongside a weak NT. 2C shows a strong NT (13-16) with exactly 5 or 6+ without any other 4-card suit, and 1D shows 4+.

I'd really have to consider whether there is even any change in frequency when it comes to competing over a Strong Club or a 2 opener. Of course, you're more likely to get away with it over a Strong Club without getting brutalized, but you're also more likely to be preempting in vain over a hand that can only make a part score for what is often a speculative minus. I think your opinion here is somewhat skewed by two factors, many Strong Club pairs don't have sound/well understood agreements on how to handle interference, mostly because it's very unclear what opponents consider to be a hand worthy of interfering. Also, I think that you fail to acknowledge that every 2 opener is a 1 opener. It's a simple statement, but, it's not any more dangerous for a Strong Club opener to compete than a 2 opener, they only must be more disciplined with their minimums.

This all being said, I actually think your points are very sound, establishing fits by bidding suits with 18 HCP hands instead of making an artificial opener has real, tangible value. There will be some hands preempted effectively. I think that you'll compensate for this when you limit the rest of your hands to 16 or fewer points though. And, I think the frequency of this occurrence is significantly lower than your estimation; hence, I'd say while your point is definitely sound, it's less significant than you've stated. Perhaps. I can't claim this with certainty. In general, accurate analysis on such things is rarely available in the bridge community. This is very much a game of opinion at times as you said.

#28 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-29, 14:03

Late to the thread, but here are my thoughts fwiw:

As usually with you Mikeh, your thoughts are worth a lot. Thanks for your detailed, clear and persuasive comments.

#29 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-July-29, 14:50

Mike,

1 forcing fits well into the rest of the system, it's a tradeoff for playing the 2 rebid as something completely different. Also our club is 4+ (so we respond sub-minimum less than when it can be short) and a 1 rebid is almost always 5 clubs/4 spades.

The danger of passing 2 is not that 4 makes, it's that 4 does unless you have another bid for a 4315 or even 4216 21 count

#30 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-30, 15:49

Obviously one needs a tolerant partner. The better the player, the more likely it is that passing would be understood, even if it led to a missed game. Experts understand that rules are guidelines, and one of the traits that make a player an expert is good judgement, including when to choose to break a 'rule'.

I pretty much agree with most of the things you presented in your post. The problem is, that it all hinges on the line I posted above. This is basically an expert understanding utilized with an understanding expert partner. I have personally seen what happens when intermediate level players spring this upon their equally intermediate partners. While you may get a good result on the board you do it on, future bidding is forever augmented by the idea that "Partner may pass this game forcing bid, so I have to do something else to say this is REAL good". Then since you don't REALLY need game forcing values to jump shift, the jump shift becomes a bid that just means I have a decent hand. Then they become unteachable until they "unlearn" these idea and can never aspire to become more than intermediate players.

As a teacher, while I agree with the ideas you presented, I don't think they should be taught to progressing players. They should be concepts that should be learned on your own playing high level bridge.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users