Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ugly Cappelletti followups

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-29, 04:25

GIB stumbled into an impregnable game here but I despise the sequence.
Once again I plead for GIB to start playing something simpler (and better IMO) like Landy.

-- should 2H take precedence over 2d showing majors with this shape? Part of the problem is GIB says 2d is 5+/5+ majors and 2M can be 4/5 either way which is ugly and unplayable IMO. I'd rather be able to bid majors on 5-4 (partner has an ugly guess with equal length and 3/3 or 2/2 majors, but that's the breaks with capp), but I don't mind that much when at least both your suits are known.

If insist on keeping capp, IMO
2d= 9+cds in majors, 4+/4+
2M should promise 5M not 4M like it does now. This makes it easier when partner has like 4243 type hand can pass a 5-2 heart fit. And makes inviting major games easier.
3m in response to 2M should be something like 1-M, 6+m at least, not 3-M 4+m (!!!!), and not show 14+ total points. It should just be improving partial with misfit.
With actual hand above it can bid 2nt, which should be either 4+/4+ in minor, 2-H any strength, or 10+ with 3+H inv, overcaller shows minor then advancer can pass/invite/bid game as appropriate.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-29, 09:55

Yes, I would also have thought 2N would be the bid.
3D appears to be forcing as is 14-20 pts. So maybe there is a method to Gib's madness or maybe it's just mad.
I didn't realize 2H could be 4H, I've slain several partners who have suggested we do this.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-29, 10:07

the other thing GIB does is a lot of time when it bids 2 Major it may be 4 card major and longer minor, which seems to work for GIB.
so I guess by default the bidding here shows a three suiter. I have given up on figuring out what GIB really does. Sometimes it works
and sometimes it doesn't.

I would rather see GIB take an approach that game is unlikely when bidding over 1NT sort of a Bergen Cohen approach.

I don't see how 3 can be forcing or 14-20 hcp must be a pinochle deck....but 2NT has to be show me your minor, 3
would force to 4 to me 3 would say I don't care what you have I have a lot of diamonds.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users