Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The rest is mine ...really?

#1 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-10, 09:01

W starts with A and switches to a small . E wins with the ace, returns a small which is won by S with the K. Now S puts his cards on the table and says "The rest is mine". No line of play is given. W protests that its quite possible that S plays clubs before all trumps are drawn and that therefore E will make a trick. The TD decides that S will play trumps first and, when he discovers that W holds all the outstanding clubs, the finesse is marked, S making 5. What's your verdict?
Joost

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-10, 09:19

I'd say this depends on the level of competition. At expert level I'd allow the claim, club level I would not. (How hard is it to say "drawing trumps"? :))

ahydra

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-10, 10:44

ahydra, on 2016-March-10, 09:19, said:

I'd say this depends on the level of competition. At expert level I'd allow the claim, club level I would not. (How hard is it to say "drawing trumps"? :))

An expert would never claim here without drawing at least 1 round of trumps.

If declarer had played 1 round of trumps and then claimed (without stating a line) then the claim should obviously be allowed.

But to claim at trick 2 without stating a line or acknowledging the risk of 5-0 trumps, is -1 IMO.

#4 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-11, 03:47

I think it is obvious that declarer intended to draw trumps first, even if he doesn't seem to have considered the possibility that they will break 5-0. It would be a more interesting question without K in dummy since now the club position becomes more relevant. Declarer would probably be expecting to make 4 trumps, 2 diamonds and 5 clubs. But if after drawing trumps he cashes his 2nd diamond trick before playing clubs he will find that the club suit is blocked even though he can pick up the jack with the aid of the marked finesse.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-12, 20:34

11 tricks. declarer obviously intends to draw trumps, but has never seen a 5-0 split before.

as for clubs, ew are unfortunate that it's not 4-0 the other way round. this way the position must be showin up, no matter which honour is cashed first.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-12, 21:47

When a claimer does not state a line of play, any normal line, including careless or inferior ones, is a possible legal result. Per Law 70, any doubtful point is resolved against the claimer. So declarer, claimer, gets 11 tricks. It doesn't matter whether he's an expert, or Mrs. Guggenheim.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 07:05

blackshoe, on 2016-March-12, 21:47, said:

When a claimer does not state a line of play, any normal line, including careless or inferior ones, is a possible legal result. Per Law 70, any doubtful point is resolved against the claimer. So declarer, claimer, gets 11 tricks. It doesn't matter whether he's an expert, or Mrs. Guggenheim.

Would it be abnormal, for whatever reason, for the dclarer to play clubs before having drawn all trumps? If he did that, he, or she in the case of Mrs. Guggenheim, would certainly loose three tricks.
Joost

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 09:15

sanst, on 2016-March-13, 07:05, said:

Would it be abnormal, for whatever reason, for the dclarer to play clubs before having drawn all trumps?

Yes
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-13, 10:31

blackshoe, on 2016-March-12, 21:47, said:

The footnote that says what a "normal" line says "for the class of player". So experts should be treated differently.

#10 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-March-13, 13:39

Mrs Guggenheim would ALWAYS draw trumps first BUT there is a good chance she would play the clubs the wrong way - so she is -1.
The Unlucky Expert would always make the contract.
Futile Willie would be one off in 6 Hearts
Mr Smug would always make the contract.

BUT

The Unlucky expert would have played the 2 on trick 1 in tempo as a suit preference signal (however no one else would notice it)
Mr Smug and Futile Willie would have played the 2 NOT in tempo and the other would would have switched to a club.
Partnering either of the above, the unlucky expert would have switched to a non-club as an ethical thing to do.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 16:26

weejonnie, on 2016-March-13, 13:39, said:

Mrs Guggenheim would ALWAYS draw trumps first BUT there is a good chance she would play the clubs the wrong way - so she is -1.

What is the wrong way on this hand?
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 02:21

I have seen people playing clubs from the top not realicing someone is discarding, specially after some rounds of trumps and some discards they didn't pay attention either to.

I am happy if everyone considers this beyond careless, is there a consensous?

#13 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 12:56

Fluffy, on 2016-March-15, 02:21, said:

I have seen people playing clubs from the top not realicing someone is discarding, specially after some rounds of trumps and some discards they didn't pay attention either to.

I am happy if everyone considers this beyond careless, is there a consensous?

I once had a hand where I had all winners in dummy and all winners in my hand. I forgot about the outstanding (non-master) trump. I was in dummy and claimed, "Dummy's good and I've got the trump left."
The director ruled that I would fail to notice that RHO had ruffed one of dummy's winners. I suppose that if that is possible then ruling declarer would fail to notice somebody not following suit is possible.

I didn't particularly like that ruling then and I don't like the equivalent here.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-18, 11:17

Anyone making a claim this careless (5-0 trumps for example) won't notice a spade pitch on the 1st round of clubs period.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-18, 11:31

The ACBL will allow you to notice somebody discarded and take the marked finesse when you have made a faulty claim. Whether you actually would is harder to determine.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-March-20, 20:50

ahydra, on 2016-March-10, 09:19, said:

I'd say this depends on the level of competition. At expert level I'd allow the claim, club level I would not. (How hard is it to say "drawing trumps"? )ahydra
I think it's unfair that the director must consider the standard of the declarer. I suppose, however, that
  • Drawing trumps is the best part of a typical beginner's game, so the director might consider giving him the benefit of the doubt. (He can't get clubs wrong provided he notices that RHO shows out on the 1st round)
  • An expert, especially a world-class expert, is expected to know and abide by claim-law; either he is being deliberately bolshy or he has completely lost the place; hence the director should rule against him, automatically.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users