• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unsure alert over a forcing club

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-18, 12:03

The 1 spade bid was alerted and after 2 minutes of thought, she said she doesn't know what it shows.

Bid turned out to be natural, any redress available given the false alert?

Edit: Jurisdiction - ACBL

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-18, 12:28

Which jurisdiction?

ahydra

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-18, 13:25

Redress for what damage?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-18, 22:26

Presuming she doesn't know what it shows, didn't you get a correct explanation of the partnership understanding?

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-19, 10:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-March-18, 13:25, said:

Redress for what damage?

South has a 9PT hand that they bid as a normal 16 count. It seems reasonable to assume slam made and South wants to get a ruling to make up for their poor bidding.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-19, 12:26

Yeah, well, I wish him luck with that.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-20, 02:03

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-March-18, 22:26, said:

Presuming she doesn't know what it shows, didn't you get a correct explanation of the partnership understanding?

A natural spade overcall isn't alertable, and alerting a non-alertable bid is technically misinformation.

And a partnership agreement doesn't go away just because one of them has temporarily forgotten what it is. Even if East has forgotten, NS are entitled to know what the agreement actually is. "I don't know" may be a true statement and the best East can do at the moment, but it's not a correct explanation if the pair has made an agreement about what it shows.

#8 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 02:25

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-20, 02:03, said:

A natural spade overcall isn't alertable, and alerting a non-alertable bid is technically misinformation.

I know that different jurisdictions have different rules on alerting but I strongly disagree with the above principle.

The purpose of an alert is not to describe the alerted call but to "alert" opponents that the call might convey information that is not evident to them.

Consequently an alert is never misinformation but a missing alert where alert is required is always misinformation.

#9 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 03:00

alerting a non-alertable bid is unauthorized information to your partner. It isn't misinformation to the opponents. The explanation east doesn't know what partner's bid means is unauthorized to west. If you feel east did not give a full and complete explanation of the partnership method, that's the time to call the director.

#10 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-March-20, 03:26

And no one thought to look at the convention card?

And no one thought to call the Director?

Oh well.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#11 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 04:23

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-March-20, 03:00, said:

alerting a non-alertable bid is unauthorized information to your partner.[...]

Of course it is.

And so what? Partner must simply (as always) disregard this unauthorized information.

(The fact that a player alerts or fails to alert is always unauthorized information to his partner!)

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-20, 10:06

Law 20F5{a}, in part: “Mistaken explanation” here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an alert (or an announcement) that regulations do not require. (My emphasis - ER)

--------------------

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 10:35

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-20, 02:03, said:

This is simply untrue Barry. Taken from the ACBL document on alerting:

Treatments that show unusual strength or shape should be Alerted.

This would have been relevant if, for example, CY's recent protective overcall thread was under ACBL jurisdiction.

The ACBL is unfortunately rather short on guidelines for calls that have no clear agreement but might have an alertable meaning. The EBU explicitly explains that such calls should be alerted and this seems to me to be closest to the spirit of the ACBL guidelines without clear direction.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-21, 03:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-March-20, 10:35, said:

This is simply untrue Barry. Taken from the ACBL document on alerting:

If the spade overcall just shows spades, it doesn't show unusual shape or strength. So it's not alertable.

2-suiter overcalls, like in DONT or Cappalletti, show something in addition to the suit bid, so they are indeed alertable.

This would have been relevant if, for example, CY's recent protective overcall thread was under ACBL jurisdiction.

I have no idea what thread this refers to.

#15 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 10:29

There isn't enough information here to give a ruling.

How does south believe they were damaged, or in other words how would they have bid differently if it hadn't been alerted.

What would 2s, then 3s then 4s have been over a natural unalerted spade overcall?

#16 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 17:30

Sorry for the late reply, was out of town.

Had the bid not been alerted, the auction would have proceeded to a makeable 3nt, given the belief it was some sort of unknown artificial bid, we proceeded to a spade contract.

The director was called at the conclusion of the hand and ruled the result stands(4S failed when the overcaller had 2 natural trump tricks).

The director pointed out we should have called when the non explanation was given and he would have instructed east to depart the table so west could give an explanation of the bid. I was not aware that this is the recommended procedure when there is an alert given but not explained.

#17 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 17:43

Since East gave presumably the correct explanation, N/S were never misinformed. If N/S had not asked and assumed it was artificial in some way, they might have some claim to being misinformed, but since they asked, N/S always had all the correct information.

#18 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 18:14

View Postakwoo, on 2016-March-21, 17:43, said:

Since East gave presumably the correct explanation, N/S were never misinformed. If N/S had not asked and assumed it was artificial in some way, they might have some claim to being misinformed, but since they asked, N/S always had all the correct information.

I have doubts that "Alert! ... I don't know" can construed as the correct information. It isn't as if she withdrew the alert after thinking about.

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-21, 19:09

"Alert" means "There's something about partner's bid you might want to know". So you say "Okay, what do I need to know?" and he says "I don't know." If that's not MI, I don't know what is.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 23:23

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-March-21, 19:09, said:

"Alert" means "There's something about partner's bid you might want to know". So you say "Okay, what do I need to know?" and he says "I don't know." If that's not MI, I don't know what is.

I strongly disagree.

If, as far as you know, partner's bid has several possible meanings, and any one of them is alertable, you are supposed to alert.

Of course, what N/S should have done is call the director when East said "I don't know". Of course, it's also true that East should suggest calling the director when he or she says "I don't know". The director can pull East away from the table and have West explain.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users