Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handviewer anomaly? Shortened auction has unwanted side-effects

#1 User is offline   jsm3520 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-13, 03:45

A handviewer presentation with a complete auction can show board number and vulnerability, as well as indicating the hand to play the next card. If the auction is shortened and just sets the contract then board number, vulnerability and player in turn is not shown -- despite my best efforts to achieve this.

I find this an unwanted defect that should be repaired, if someone cannot convince me that it is desirable B-) . The display is wanted in an application to provide comments on strategy of play with deals that have been played recently in a non-professional context.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-13, 15:36

Can you give a more specific example? Post a hand diagram here that demonstrates the problem?

#3 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-14, 07:19

View Postbarmar, on 2015-December-13, 15:36, said:

Can you give a more specific example? Post a hand diagram here that demonstrates the problem?

I expect by "sets the contract" the poster means " establishes the contract" I.e. omits the auction, including the final three passes, and just gives the final contract (six spades by South, for example).
Most of us just invent an auction when we want to post a hand and don't know the actual one (or it's an invented hand and there was no auction). Doesn't seem like a big problem.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-14, 09:32

The right thing to do is use a fake, but valid, auction where declarer simply opens with the final contract, followed by 3 passes.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users