BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#9261 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-10, 00:10

View Postldrews, on 2018-February-09, 21:06, said:

It is shocking to have a President that apparently follows the Rule of Law and handles sensitive national security info appropriately.

My understanding is that Trump sent the memo back to Congress for them to remove the sensitive national security info that had been put in and then resubmit it. Trump has ordered the DOJ/FBI/NSA to help them do so.

Do you think this was the wrong thing to do?

This isn't even true, right? Schiff sent the memo to the DOJ to vet before sending it to the WH. Any further redactions at this point are political rather than for security.

Mr. Schiff, who has traded bitter Twitter messages with the president after Mr. Trump called him one of “the biggest liars and leakers” in Washington, warned this week that Mr. Trump might call for “political edits” intended to erase embarrassing parts of the memo, not information related to national security.

In a statement on Friday night, Mr. Schiff said that Democrats had provided their memo to the F.B.I. and the Justice Department for vetting before it was approved for release by the committee. The Democratic memo was drawn from the same underlying documents as the Republican one.

OK
bed

#9262 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-10, 09:07

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-February-10, 00:10, said:

This isn't even true, right? Schiff sent the memo to the DOJ to vet before sending it to the WH. Any further redactions at this point are political rather than for security.

If I remember correctly there were reports earlier that the Schiff memo had security problems. I do not remember any report of Schiff having his memo vetted. Both memos supposedly rely on the same underlying data which we don't currently see. Perhaps the only way to resolve the issue is to declassify and release the underlying documents. Then we can all make up our own minds what is the truth of the situation.

Nunes and his staff apparently took great care to make sure that the Nunes memo did not contain national security info. We can all read it and see that that is indeed the case.

Schiff and his staff apparently did not exercise the same caution, either carelessly or intentionally. It would be great theater for Schiff to be able to claim that Trump refuses to release the Schiff memo or redacted it with political bias. Instead Trump sent the memo back and essentially said to clean it up and then he would be willing to release it. So all Schiff has to do is clean out the national security info and resubmit it.

I doubt that will happen, it doesn't fit the political theater that Schiff wants.

#9263 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 09:25

For those that may be interested in the unfolding story behind the Nunes memo, here is the confirming evidence:

http://www.nationalr...-steele-dossier

#9264 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-10, 10:29

View Postldrews, on 2018-February-10, 09:25, said:

For those that may be interested in the unfolding story behind the Nunes memo, here is the confirming evidence:

http://www.nationalr...-steele-dossier

The only thing that this confirms is that Trump has pictures of Lyndsey Graham's dick in another guy's mouth...
Alderaan delenda est

#9265 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 11:01

Is that the same Lindsey Graham who told CNN he lied about the "shithole" remark "to make sure that I can keep talking to the president"?
Just asking.

Btw, when President Kelly and his Director of Twitter communications Donald Trump cheer on ICE to break up families by deporting immigrant with no criminal record, does that speak to their character or to their personality?
Oh, Little Larry is in favour of that? Does that speak to his character, or to his personality?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9266 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 11:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-February-10, 10:29, said:

The only thing that this confirms is that Trump has pictures of Lyndsey Graham's dick in another guy's mouth...

Still standing by your little fantasy story about Steele and the dossier?

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-February-02, 15:56, said:

4. Page 2 says Steele prepared the dossier "on behalf of" the DNC and Clinton—suggesting he knew he was working for them, or that he *was* working for them, which he wasn't. He was working for Fusion GPS as a sub-contractor—and had no idea who Fusion's clients were. This is a critical point—as this lie is the one Nunes uses to argue that Steele both had a conflict of interest and was biased, when in fact neither was true. Steele was not getting paid to please the DNC and/or Clinton because he literally did not know his work was for them. In fact for the first 8 months that Steele working on the project he was being funded by the Washington Free Beacon.

Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#9267 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 11:41

View Postcherdano, on 2018-February-10, 11:01, said:

Is that the same Lindsey Graham who told CNN he lied about the "shithole" remark "to make sure that I can keep talking to the president"?
Just asking.

This hasn't ever happened, has it?
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#9268 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-10, 11:43

View Postandrei, on 2018-February-10, 11:39, said:

Still standing by your little fantasy story about Steele and the dossier?

I made a mistake

I confused the length of time that Steele was on the project with the length of time that the project was ongoing.
It was sloppy and should not have happened.
Alderaan delenda est

#9269 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-February-10, 12:22

Richard very rarely makes a mistake, but notice how he handles it when he does. This shows character, a trait not exhibited by the trolls.

Nor by Trump and his enablers: Trump concocted a story about a border agent’s death. The truth won’t catch up.

This is the autopsy of a lie.

On the night of Nov. 18, Border Patrol Agent Rogelio Martinez was found dying on the side of an interstate in West Texas. There were immediate signs it had been an accident. Martinez’s partner, Stephen Garland (who suffered a head injury and doesn’t recall the incident), had radioed for help, saying he thought he ran into a culvert.

But President Trump and his allies saw an opportunity to whip up anti-immigrant fervor. At a Cabinet meeting Nov. 20, Trump announced, with cameras rolling, that “we lost a Border Patrol officer just yesterday, and another one was brutally beaten and badly, badly hurt. . . . We’re going to have the wall.” He also issued a similar tweet.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican, offered a reward “to help solve this murder” and to “help us catch this killer.”

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) declared the incident “a stark reminder of the ongoing threat that an unsecure border poses.”

And then there was Fox News, reporting that “a border patrol agent was brutally murdered” and going with the headline “Border Patrol agent appeared to be ambushed by illegal immigrants, bashed with rocks before death.” Fox News host Tucker Carlson reported that Martinez was “attacked at the border in the most gruesome possible way.”

The FBI swung into action, mobilizing 37 field offices, and this week it announced its findings. Although the investigation “has not conclusively determined” what happened, “none of the more than 650 interviews completed, locations searched, or evidence collected and analyzed have produced evidence that would support the existence of a scuffle, altercation, or attack on November 18, 2017.”

Compared with the original allegations, the findings got little attention. There was no corrective tweet from Trump or the others and no retraction by Fox News, which buried the FBI’s findings with brief mention.

In business, one lie and you are done -- and no one in business deals with Trump any more. I'm a conservative businessman, but I'll likewise never vote for a politician having such deep character flaws. I couldn't care less about personality.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#9270 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 12:43

Oh look, a car chase!
OK
bed

#9271 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-February-10, 12:55

View PostPassedOut, on 2018-February-10, 12:22, said:

Richard very rarely makes a mistake, but notice how he handles it when he does. This shows character, a trait not exhibited by the trolls.

Nor by Trump and his enablers: Trump concocted a story about a border agent’s death. The truth won’t catch up.

In business, one lie and you are done -- and no one in business deals with Trump any more. I'm a conservative businessman, but I'll likewise never vote for a politician having such deep character flaws. I couldn't care less about personality.

There is "politics", and then there is propaganda. They are not one and the same.

What this article does is show how by first taking a fact and distorting that fact to fit a narrative, and then with people in position of authority repeating that narrative until it is picked up as "news", those who consume only right-wing news sources are fed false information. The president then receives that false "news" and reports it as again as fact. When fact-checkers look into the story, it is shown to be false. No further mention of that fact makes the "news" and no one who orchestrated the spread of the lie ever refutes it or attempts a correction. This is the spread of propaganda.

However, this does not get to the heart of the problem with our McFredo supporters. The questions we need to ask are these: Do you believe the "news" story is true? If not, why don't you believe it?

And if you don't believe it, what does that say about the president?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9272 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 12:58

View Postandrei, on 2018-February-10, 11:41, said:

Of course it did
OK
bed

#9273 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-February-10, 13:04

View Postandrei, on 2018-February-10, 11:41, said:

https://youtu.be/4iuTGaw__ho?t=213

"Can you tell me what happened in that meeting, in your own words?" -
"No! I can tell you this..."
"Why not, why can't you?"
"Because I want to make sure I can keep talking to the president."
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9274 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-10, 15:44

View Postcherdano, on 2018-February-10, 11:01, said:

Just asking.

View Postcherdano, on 2018-February-10, 13:04, said:

https://youtu.be/4iuTGaw__ho?t=213

"Can you tell me what happened in that meeting, in your own words?" -
"No! I can tell you this..."
"Why not, why can't you?"
"Because I want to make sure I can keep talking to the president."

When did Graham "told CNN he lied about the "shithole" remark"?

https://nypost.com/2...-over-comments/

Durbin says that Graham “spoke up and made a direct comment on what the president said.”

“For him to confront the president as he did, literally sitting next to him, took extraordinary political courage and I respect him for it,” he told MSNBC.

But, in what appeared to be a direct jab at Sens. Tom Cotton and David Perdue, Graham said, "My memory hasn't evolved. I know what was said and I know what I said." Sen. Tim Scott, R-North Charleston, said Friday that Graham told him media reports of what Trump said were “basically accurate."

#9275 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-February-10, 15:56

Durbin: "Trump said 'shithole'"
Tom Cotton and fellow nutty senator: "Trump did not say that. Uhm oh, maybe he said 'shithouse'. Uh no, maybe not."
"Senator Graham, can you confirm what was said at the meeting?" - "No I cannot."

Ok if you don't want to call it a lie, be my guest. So instead your beloved President outs himself as a racist to everyone who hasn't heard it before. Two senators of your beloved party lie about it. (To repeat, two senators, each of them one of the three or four most important representatives of their state flat out lie to the American public about what the US president said.) Senator Graham finds it too important to suck up to the president to clarify what happened.
And you think you win an argument by trying to score the point whether "I cannot confirm" is a lie?

I'd have more respect for andrei, and for Senator Cotton, if they were just able to openly say that they agree with the President's shithole remarks.

#9276 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-10, 17:23

Lest we get totally sidetracked by the inept McFredo administration, we should not forget that what is necessary to take McFredo down is proof of criminality - and there has beeb substantial progress in that regard.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9277 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-February-11, 13:22

The Lawfare blog posted a simple solution to the questions surrounding "the memo" and that is for the FISC (the court that has jurisdiction) made a public pronouncement of whether or not it is investigating wrongdoing concerning the Page warrant, if it is not, or if it is satisfied that no bias occurred.

Seeing that the court is the final arbiter of whether or not it was misled, their wimple public statement seems a simple way to clear up the question of improper biased information being used.

#9278 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-February-11, 13:39

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-February-10, 10:29, said:

Michelle Obama said "We're different. We go high when they go low." She was wrong as hrothgar proves time and again.

You may be frustrated that the other side does accept your "wisdom" or buy into your fantasies, but that's no reason to demean or say derogatory things about those with whom you disagree or hate.

Clean your act up and be civil.

#9279 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2018-February-11, 13:43

Oh - hi rmnka! Nice to have you back! I was wondering - a lot of people made a case against your characterisations of the Nunes memo. Did you have any chance to read these posts, and perhaps make a substantive reply? Otherwise, some might get the impression that you are only hear to (re-)produce sound bites, not to actually engage in any of the issues.

#9280 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-February-11, 14:00

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-February-10, 17:23, said:

Lest we get totally sidetracked by the inept McFredo administration, we should not forget that what is necessary to take McFredo down is proof of criminality - and there has beeb substantial progress in that regard.

Yep, it's the typical progressive conjecture. It's amazing how often claims of impending charges and indictments have been made by the left to no avail so far. But hey, you've got to keep the troops fired up about Russian collusion.

I'll just sit and await to see what the Special Counsel comes up in his findings at the end of the investigation.

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

55 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 53 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Gerardo