BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1096 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#581 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-16, 23:27

I've lived where I live now for the last eight years. Some six years ago, a couple of my neighboring apartments had tenants who, well, lets just say several times I came home and found a cop car or two in the parking lot. Once it was four.

Those neighbors aren't around any more, and the current set seems much more peaceful. That's a good thing.

One problem with guns is that people think that merely owning one is enough. It's not. You have to know how to use it, you have to practice using it at a decent range, and you have to be willing to use it when necessary. You also have to have the good judgement to know when it's not necessary — yet.

Availability is another matter. I don't think the government should be in the business of telling citizens they can or cannot own guns. So did the Founding Fathers, or we wouldn't have a Second Amendment.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#582 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-16, 23:50

Cruz is running a fantastic campaign, I actually think he's going to get the nomination which is not something I ever thought I'd say lol. He is just an incredibly savvy politician.

*And just to be clear I hate his political views obv
The artist formerly known as jlall

#583 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 04:35

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-December-16, 09:30, said:

Not according to the NRA - they say that gun availability is what keeps us safe.

The mere fact that the bison knows that guns are available will make him think twice... ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#584 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 07:21

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-December-16, 23:27, said:

Availability is another matter. I don't think the government should be in the business of telling citizens they can or cannot own guns. So did the Founding Fathers, or we wouldn't have a Second Amendment.

Do you think it is ok for the government to tell citizens whether they can own a nuclear bomb or not? Or a bio-weapon? How about an RPG launcher? At what point does it become ok? A government has a duty to make its country as safe as possible for its citizens. Coming directly after a war of independence where the perceived enemy is a well armed and trained foreign army is perhaps a different time to one where the primary threat is internal from criminals, terrorists, attention seekers and, yes, normal citizens that misuse their weapons. The government has to make some judgment about this - the Founding Fathers may well have been right about what was safest for the fledgling America in the 18th century, in the 21st century the evidence supports a different position.
(-: Zel :-)

#585 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 07:38

Quiz: who said this?

We've spent $4 trillion trying to topple various people that, frankly, if they were there and if we could have spent that $4 trillion in the United States to fix our roads, our bridges, and all of the other problems — our airports and all the other problems we have — we would have been a lot better off, I can tell you that right now.

We have done a tremendous disservice not only to the Middle East — we've done a tremendous disservice to humanity. The people that have been killed, the people that have been wiped away — and for what? It's not like we had victory. It's a mess. The Middle East is totally destabilized, a total and complete mess. I wish we had the 4 trillion dollars or 5 trillion dollars. I wish it were spent right here in the United States on schools, hospitals, roads, airports, and everything else that are all falling apart!

The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#586 User is online   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-December-17, 08:53

View Postcherdano, on 2015-December-17, 07:38, said:

Thomas Jefferson? :rolleyes:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#587 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-December-17, 09:13

In fact, it wasn't until 2008 that the NRA's version of understanding the Second Amendment was adopted by the U.S. Supreme Court in a 5-4 ruling.

#588 User is online   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-17, 10:12

To the Founding Fathers, "arms" meant muskets and cannons.

#589 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-December-17, 10:15

View Postbarmar, on 2015-December-17, 10:12, said:

To the Founding Fathers, "arms" meant muskets and cannons.

And before that, stones and handmade spears.

#590 User is online   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-December-17, 10:25

And don't forget that the FF were men of their time, and not everything they did or wrote/said should be enshrined for all time. Many of them owned slaves, for instance, and the Constitution allowed this.

#591 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-December-17, 10:51

The next PotUSA? ;)
(-: Zel :-)

#592 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-December-17, 12:04

Ok this thread seems to have turned into "the govt would make us much more safer if it would just confiscate guns".

#593 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2015-December-17, 12:16

View Postmike777, on 2015-December-17, 12:04, said:

Ok this thread seems to have turned into "the govt would make us much more safer if it would just confiscate guns".

It is up to you to get this thread on track. That will give you skin in this game.
B-)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#594 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-21, 21:37

Good take here on the omnibus spending bill.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#595 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2015-December-22, 09:02

View Posty66, on 2015-December-21, 21:37, said:

Good take here on the omnibus spending bill.

I was particularly pleased by this paragraph:

The intransigence of the hard right empowers Democrats. Mr. McConnell and particularly Mr. Ryan were forced to work with Democrats to fashion the big year-end package because they couldn’t be certain of enough Republican support for the spending bill. As a result, Mr. Reid and Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the minority leader, played outsize roles in writing the bill and, in cooperation with the White House, managed to keep out most policy changes sought by conservatives who were not going to vote for the legislation anyway. Republicans got to repeal a 40-year ban on oil exports, but Democrats got more.

The thought that the extremes could be told to go play with themselves while more reasonable people get something done is a development that I have been hoping for.
Ken

#596 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-December-22, 09:10

View Postkenberg, on 2015-December-22, 09:02, said:

I was particularly pleased by this paragraph:

The thought that the extremes could be told to go play with themselves while more reasonable people get something done is a development that I have been hoping for.

The sad oddity to me is that the hard right cannot see itself as equivalent to the Taliban, that the only people whom they consider "reasonable" are those who agree with them.

#597 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 12:59

One problem with guns is that people think that merely owning one is enough. It's not. You have to know how to use it, you have to practice using it at a decent range, and you have to be willing to use it when necessary. You also have to have the good judgement to know when it's not necessary — yet.

That seems like a good argument to limit gun availability to those who have the facilities and the skills, i.e. law enforcement and the military...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#598 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-22, 16:42

View Postbarmar, on 2015-December-14, 18:51, said:

Posted Image

If legislating for gun control worked, France would be one of the safest countries in the world. It clearly is not. What it is, is complicated.

#599 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 16:52

The Donald.

#600 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-22, 17:04

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-December-17, 09:13, said:

In fact, it wasn't until 2008 that the NRA's version of understanding the Second Amendment was adopted by the U.S. Supreme Court in a 5-4 ruling.

Which, while true in its essentials -- individual gun ownership -- is somewhat misleading. Heller was the first test of that particular "understanding," the first SCOTUS case to address a legislative act attempting to restrict individual gun ownership (not including say tommy guns or auto weapons or ownership by felons, the "mentally ill" etc.)

• 1096 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

339 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 337 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Winstonm,
  3. barmar,
  4. Facebook