BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1097 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#4521 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-February-02, 13:22

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-February-02, 12:22, said:

I differ slightly

1. The students at Berkeley are protesting that their tuition dollars are being used to support and individual who doesn't share their values
2. Trump is upset that federal funds are being used to support an institution that doesn't support his side

Here's where I think the difference is:

The decision of the University to cancel the speech was made because there was clear danger that violence was going to break out.
There did not cancel the speech because the objected to the content

Given the fact that a Milo supporter shot a protestor up in Seattle a week previously (plus the fact that the crowd was burning things) I think that the fear of violence seems reasonable.

As such, I don't think that Trump should be directing his ire at the university which was placed in an untenable position...

Violent protest is not a protected act, of course. What I object to most is Trump characterizing the invitational speech at the university as an example of free speech (along with blustering on about threatening to pull federal dollars, which he cannot do.)

Agree that the threat is against the university for not suppressing the demonstrators.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#4522 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2017-February-02, 18:00

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-February-02, 10:09, said:

What Trump is too unlearned to know is that the invitation from U.C. Berkeley to Milo Yiannopoulos to speak does not constitute a 1st Amendment right but the demonstrations against him is a 1st Amendment right. Trump wants to punish those exercising their constitutional rights to protest.

I think there is a basic misunderstanding at play here. Firstly, the university did not invite this guy to speak. There is a group of republican students (and I am sure that they are as ugly as one can imagine young trump supporters or MY enthusiasts to be) and they are a legally recognized student organization. I have no issue with that, btw, much as I am predisposed to loathe what I assume they advocate.

The university allows all such groups to hold events, provided that the group pay for the use of facilities, including a 'normal' level of event security.

The chancellor, on becoming aware of the event and vociferous student objections, issued a beautifully written explanation (I am too lazy/busy to find it and link it: I read it several days ago) and pointed out that the university would be acting contrary to its values were it to ban the event, while making it abundantly clear that he and the university as an entity rejected everything that MY stands for, and got in some pretty good indirect shots at trump for good measure.

Then apparently about 150 protestors, many if not all believed not to be genuine students at all, started acting up, including committing acts of vandalism and exhibiting a desire to be violent. The university reacted to this violence by cancelling the event, not to silence the despicable MY but to prevent a riot. Given that a MY supporter shot and killed an unarmed, peaceful protestor in Washington state, that seems like a reasonable act by a reasonable person.

Somehow I am willing to bet that Fox News didn't exactly convey reality and it seems that Fox News is the main source of information for the great orange despot in the WH.

Heck, in the last week we have the WH (the g.o.d. or his minions) pronouncing that:

a) based on Fox News stats, if Chicago doesn't reduce its murder rate, he'll send in the feds, whatever that means
b) mexico's army should be used to fight drug gangs, but because they are too scared, maybe the g.o.d. will send in the US military. aka invade a country with which the US has been at peace for more than a century
c)the yemen raid that the g.o.d, authorized, in which children were killed by US forces, a US Seal was killed, and the US had to destroy a 75MM airplane to avoid its capture, was a 'success', even while the military itself suggests that the raid was authorized (over dinner, it seems) by the g.o.d. with inadequate intelligence and no desire to learn more
d) in response to a rational step to avoid a riot, the g.o.d. threatens to remove close to $400MM a year to one of the world's leading research universities
e) state department employees who disagree with the arguably illegal EO on refugees should quit: more than 1,000 have signed on or endorsed a 'dissent' memo circulating within the State Department and the internal use of such a memo is a longstanding practice
f) at a prayer meeting, he spent his time bragging about his television ratings on Apprentice and insulting his successor
g) in a telephone call to a close ally, Australia, he boasted about the crowd at his inauguration, lied about the size of his electoral college win, and expressed a desire to renege on an international agreement, and then hung up on the Prime Minister

That is one astounding amount of incompetence, petulance and general all around idiocy, all in one week.

It is of no surprise to anyone, with any understanding of just how stupid, ignorant and prejudiced many people are, that all of this has raised his popularity with the morons making up his base. Oh..I shouldn't call them morons? I might somehow offend them and fail to persuade them? All progressives should pretend that these morons and bigots are nice people if only we would stop being rude to them?

Take a look at MY, and those who support him. Take a look at the republican leadership in congress. Even McCain, who surely loathes and detests trump, can't bring himself to do the morally right thing for the country he professes to love so much.

No: when people act like morons, bigots, cowards, and sycophants to a would-be dictator, the only correct response is to stop pretending that those people are nice people.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4523 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2017-February-02, 18:20

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-February-02, 10:09, said:

What Trump is too unlearned to know is that the invitation from U.C. Berkeley to Milo Yiannopoulos to speak does not constitute a 1st Amendment right but the demonstrations against him is a 1st Amendment right. Trump wants to punish those exercising their constitutional rights to protest.

They only have a right to peaceful protest. Once it became a riot, they were breaking the law.

#4524 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-02, 18:36

The left has perverted democracy with PC. PC is code for totalitarianism from the left. Trump is trying to return democracy to America.

#4525 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-02, 18:43

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-02, 18:36, said:

The left has perverted democracy with PC. PC is code for totalitarianism from the left. Trump is trying to return democracy to America.

When I see people complaining about PC, I always think of a toddler.

"You silly little girl, you should have stayed home in your kitchen in step of trying your luck in a men's job."
"Excuse, I find that offensive, in fact it is quite sexist."
"OH MY GOD I AM SO OFFENDED THAT YOU JUST CALLED ME SEXIST. HOW CAN I LIVE IN THIS WORLD IF EVERYBODY POLICES WHAT I SAY, OR TELLS ME HOW THAT MAKES THEM FEEL!!! THIS WHOLE PC CULTURE IS RUINING MY LIFE!!! NOW I AM CALLED A SEXIST PIG JUST BECAUSE I CALLED A WONDERFULLY CUTE GIRL A 'GIRL'!!! THE LEFT IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!"
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4526 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-02, 18:57

The right to free speech does not mean that you are entitled to a platform. A POTUS should know that. Perhaps it is time to block his twitter account to demonstrate that. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4527 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-February-02, 19:01

View Postmikeh, on 2017-February-02, 18:00, said:

I think there is a basic misunderstanding at play here. Firstly, the university did not invite this guy to speak. There is a group of republican students (and I am sure that they are as ugly as one can imagine young trump supporters or MY enthusiasts to be) and they are a legally recognized student organization. I have no issue with that, btw, much as I am predisposed to loathe what I assume they advocate.

The university allows all such groups to hold events, provided that the group pay for the use of facilities, including a 'normal' level of event security.

The chancellor, on becoming aware of the event and vociferous student objections, issued a beautifully written explanation (I am too lazy/busy to find it and link it: I read it several days ago) and pointed out that the university would be acting contrary to its values were it to ban the event, while making it abundantly clear that he and the university as an entity rejected everything that MY stands for, and got in some pretty good indirect shots at trump for good measure.

Then apparently about 150 protestors, many if not all believed not to be genuine students at all, started acting up, including committing acts of vandalism and exhibiting a desire to be violent. The university reacted to this violence by cancelling the event, not to silence the despicable MY but to prevent a riot. Given that a MY supporter shot and killed an unarmed, peaceful protestor in Washington state, that seems like a reasonable act by a reasonable person.

Somehow I am willing to bet that Fox News didn't exactly convey reality and it seems that Fox News is the main source of information for the great orange despot in the WH.

Heck, in the last week we have the WH (the g.o.d. or his minions) pronouncing that:

a) based on Fox News stats, if Chicago doesn't reduce its murder rate, he'll send in the feds, whatever that means
b) mexico's army should be used to fight drug gangs, but because they are too scared, maybe the g.o.d. will send in the US military. aka invade a country with which the US has been at peace for more than a century
c)the yemen raid that the g.o.d, authorized, in which children were killed by US forces, a US Seal was killed, and the US had to destroy a 75MM airplane to avoid its capture, was a 'success', even while the military itself suggests that the raid was authorized (over dinner, it seems) by the g.o.d. with inadequate intelligence and no desire to learn more
d) in response to a rational step to avoid a riot, the g.o.d. threatens to remove close to $400MM a year to one of the world's leading research universities
e) state department employees who disagree with the arguably illegal EO on refugees should quit: more than 1,000 have signed on or endorsed a 'dissent' memo circulating within the State Department and the internal use of such a memo is a longstanding practice
f) at a prayer meeting, he spent his time bragging about his television ratings on Apprentice and insulting his successor
g) in a telephone call to a close ally, Australia, he boasted about the crowd at his inauguration, lied about the size of his electoral college win, and expressed a desire to renege on an international agreement, and then hung up on the Prime Minister

That is one astounding amount of incompetence, petulance and general all around idiocy, all in one week.

It is of no surprise to anyone, with any understanding of just how stupid, ignorant and prejudiced many people are, that all of this has raised his popularity with the morons making up his base. Oh..I shouldn't call them morons? I might somehow offend them and fail to persuade them? All progressives should pretend that these morons and bigots are nice people if only we would stop being rude to them?

Take a look at MY, and those who support him. Take a look at the republican leadership in congress. Even McCain, who surely loathes and detests trump, can't bring himself to do the morally right thing for the country he professes to love so much.

No: when people act like morons, bigots, cowards, and sycophants to a would-be dictator, the only correct response is to stop pretending that those people are nice people.

I appreciate the clarification. I had thought (wrongly) that the university had issued the invite.

#4528 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-February-02, 19:09

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-02, 18:20, said:

They only have a right to peaceful protest. Once it became a riot, they were breaking the law.

Yes, they were breaking the law - it is called civil disobedience. I applaud it.

#4529 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2017-February-02, 20:22

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-February-02, 19:09, said:

Yes, they were breaking the law - it is called civil disobedience. I applaud it.

I could not disagree more. Vandalism and violence are not equivalent to civil disobedience. The latter should, imo, be based on the notion that one non-violently breaks what one considers an unjust law and (this is an essential ingredient) one accepts the punishment, while using the resulting trial, etc, to explain, as non-stridently as is possible, the immorality of the law. This is what Ganghi did. It is at least akin to Mandela's action, and Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks.

rioting forfeits the moral high ground and alienates the reasonable middle one is trying to persuade.

I see no inconsistency between this and my diatribe about trump's base...the bigots are usually not going to be persuaded by civil disobedience but they are not the target
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4530 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-February-02, 21:06

View Postmikeh, on 2017-February-02, 20:22, said:

I could not disagree more. Vandalism and violence are not equivalent to civil disobedience. The latter should, imo, be based on the notion that one non-violently breaks what one considers an unjust law and (this is an essential ingredient) one accepts the punishment, while using the resulting trial, etc, to explain, as non-stridently as is possible, the immorality of the law. This is what Ganghi did. It is at least akin to Mandela's action, and Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks.

rioting forfeits the moral high ground and alienates the reasonable middle one is trying to persuade.

I see no inconsistency between this and my diatribe about trump's base...the bigots are usually not going to be persuaded by civil disobedience but they are not the target

Maybe I am simply more cynical. When the tragedy occurred, I was the same age as the 4 students who were shot dead by the National Guard in Ohio. No one was ever held accountable for those deaths. Because of those deaths, I consider moral high ground a fantasy. Liberalism has been sleeping for many years - but it has a history of confrontation. And when an autocrat has control of the WH, promoting an autocratic white Christian theocracy, and his right-hand man has recently expressed the desire to destroy the existing foundations of government, it is not a time to play nice.

#4531 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-February-03, 00:54

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-February-02, 19:09, said:

Rioting is not civil disobedience, it's criminal violence. When outside agitators show up in black clothing and face masks, it's planned violence to silence dissent. That's behavior straight out of Nazi Germany and completely at odds with American values.

I have no problem with the students at the University peacefully protesting this speaker, if they disagree with him. They can disagree and protest all they want about the speaker being at odds with what they believe are American values. That's their right and a vital part of the clash of ideas necessary for a free society. But what they aren't allowed to do is prevent someone with differing views from exercising their right to express opposing views.

BUT, as mikeh pointed out, the sponsoring organization was a legitimate campus organization that got university approval for this speaker to speak. They also agreed to pay any extra security costs associated with a peaceful protest. There was no indication that the speaker or his audience would do anything other than exercise their rights to peaceful assembly. Peaceful assembly is a right guaranteed in the Constitution and goes hand in glove with free speech. Abrogation of those rights by violence is against American values.

I was appalled to see the clip of a peaceful young female student wearing a "Make America Great Again" that got pepper sprayed by one of the thugs. Wearing that hat was an exercise of her right to free speech guaranteed under the Constitution. You may vehemently disagree with her opinion, but shouldn't condone the unprevoked violence against her. That violence isn't an American value.

#4532 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-February-03, 04:25

View Postmikeh, on 2017-February-02, 20:22, said:

I disagree that rioting is not an appropriate part of political protest.
It just takes things up a notch.

However, I very much agree that anonymity is unacceptable.
If you chose to go down this path, you need to do so openly and be willing to pay the price.
Alderaan delenda est

#4533 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-03, 08:42

http://nypost.com/20...al-regulations/

Trump rolls back Dodd/Frank.

#4534 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-03, 09:46

View Postmikeh, on 2017-January-30, 17:29, said:

Facts are horrible, pesky little things that can so disrupt a narrative...especially when the narrative is a concoction of fantasies and lies.

View Postmikeh, on 2017-February-02, 18:00, said:

Given that a MY supporter shot and killed an unarmed, peaceful protestor in Washington state.

Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#4535 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-February-03, 10:07

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-February-03, 00:54, said:

Rioting is not civil disobedience, it's criminal violence. When outside agitators show up in black clothing and face masks, it's planned violence to silence dissent. That's behavior straight out of Nazi Germany and completely at odds with American values.

I have no problem with the students at the University peacefully protesting this speaker, if they disagree with him. They can disagree and protest all they want about the speaker being at odds with what they believe are American values. That's their right and a vital part of the clash of ideas necessary for a free society. But what they aren't allowed to do is prevent someone with differing views from exercising their right to express opposing views.

BUT, as mikeh pointed out, the sponsoring organization was a legitimate campus organization that got university approval for this speaker to speak. They also agreed to pay any extra security costs associated with a peaceful protest. There was no indication that the speaker or his audience would do anything other than exercise their rights to peaceful assembly. Peaceful assembly is a right guaranteed in the Constitution and goes hand in glove with free speech. Abrogation of those rights by violence is against American values.

I was appalled to see the clip of a peaceful young female student wearing a "Make America Great Again" that got pepper sprayed by one of the thugs. Wearing that hat was an exercise of her right to free speech guaranteed under the Constitution. You may vehemently disagree with her opinion, but shouldn't condone the unprevoked violence against her. That violence isn't an American value.

If you start a war, you can't then whine that the other side isn't playing nice.

#4536 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-03, 10:12

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-February-03, 04:25, said:

I disagree that rioting is not an appropriate part of political protest.
It just takes things up a notch.

A "notch"?

Screaming protests through a megaphone is taking things up a notch. Vandalism, looting, and violence are simply unacceptable forms of protest.

Civil disobedience generally means committing victimless crimes, to draw attention to unreasonable laws (often the ones regarding the action you're committing). So unless you think laws against murder are inappropriate, killing someone can hardly be considered civil disobedience.

Civil disobedience is usually (but not always) equated with nonviolent protest.

#4537 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2017-February-03, 10:22

View Postandrei, on 2017-February-03, 09:46, said:

I suspect, you being who you appear to be, that the following sentiment will be alien to your worldview, but I thank you for correcting my mistake. The protestor was in fact only critically wounded by gunshot(s) to the stomach area. I am sure that reflects the peaceful motive of his assailant....after all, one must only be trying to warn someone when one shoots him in the stomach.

As for your other attempt to correct me, I know of no evidence that the computer science engineer shot was active in what was, apparently, a raucous demonstration in which some were apparently throwing rocks or bricks in the direction of the riot-gear clad police. If he were, then I withdraw the 'peaceful' part, but I see no reason to assume that he was, absent information to the contrary. You may think differently.

#4538 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-February-03, 10:29

View Postandrei, on 2017-February-03, 09:46, said:

Yeap, facts are tricky

Mike definitely got one thing wrong. The protestor was shot in the stomach went into the trauma center, however, he did survive.

With this said and done, I have not seen any claims that this protestor was involved in any kind of violence (and have seen statements that he was trying to damp things down)

Personally, I don't think that there is going to be much definitive that anyone can say until the trial. Even then there will probably be questions.

Here's one thing that I do know:

The individual who did the shooting claimed that he got sucker punched way before the shooting took place and that his "Make America Great Again" hat had been stolen.
His choice to remain in the area and then claim that he needed to shoot someone should be viewed extremely skeptically...
Alderaan delenda est

#4539 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2017-February-03, 10:32

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-03, 08:42, said:

http://nypost.com/20...al-regulations/

Trump rolls back Dodd/Frank.

No he doesn't

He may want to or, more accurately since I doubt that he actually knows what Dodd/Frank really is, somebody close to him does. Hmmm.....he has appointed several Wall Street insiders to his cabinet and Bannon got rich on Wall Street before Breitbart. I wonder...no...surely it couldn't be that the mega-wealthy close to trump are working to get themselves and their friends even wealthier at the expense of the rest of us? No....surely not.

Fortunately, at least for now, the g.o.d. in the WH lacks the ability to single-handedly repeal legislation. Of course, the republicans in congress are just as corrupt. Indeed, more so. The g.o.d. and his cabinet are in pursuit of naked self-interest, while most of the republicans are simply bought and paid for: they don't get the billions that Wall St, gets, they only get hundreds of thousands in donations, lots of perks, and (especially in Congress) the chance to become a lobbyist in due course.

all the g.o.d. is doing is issuing a silly, posturing EO to direct that his appointees look into what changes should be suggested. He doesn't need an EO to do that, but this looks good on Fox news, and impresses the gullible, who then go make silly, inaccurate posts to various forums.

#4540 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-February-03, 10:41

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-03, 10:12, said:

A "notch"?

Screaming protests through a megaphone is taking things up a notch. Vandalism, looting, and violence are simply unacceptable forms of protest.

Civil disobedience generally means committing victimless crimes, to draw attention to unreasonable laws (often the ones regarding the action you're committing). So unless you think laws against murder are inappropriate, killing someone can hardly be considered civil disobedience.

When I was a young man, my grandfather (who was a passionate Wobblie) told me that the day the American labor movement stopped killed mine owners was the day the labor movement started to die...

I am a strong believer in the social contract and prefer living in a society governed by such.
With this said and done, the decision to abide by the social contract is a voluntary one and individual can withdraw from it if they want.

If any individual choses to do so, they are acting outside the law, deserve to be punished, and should expect to be punished.

However, I'm not going to claim that I wouldn't resort to violence if the conditions seemed right.

(Nor do I believe that individual or even mob violence is outside the American political tradition. We like to whitewash this, but it happens all the time)
Alderaan delenda est

• 1097 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

571 User(s) are reading this topic
3 members, 567 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. kenberg,
  3. PrecisionL,
  4. awm