BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1101 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#22001 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Today, 07:05

View PostWinstonm, on 2024-October-07, 21:20, said:

I watched 60 Minutes tonight. One segment was about the Republicans in Maricopa County, Arizona, Phoenix and surrounding area. It was sobering. The Trump phenomema has little to do with jobs or the economy,; it is almost entirerly a movement based on faith, much like some huge church of Donald. It is totally faith based, impossible to penetrate with reason as any fact they don't want to hear is automatically lies or propaganda. It is sad and dangerous.
It also has the propensity to use the words Crhistianity and pattriotism as synonymous.

It would require trained professional deprogrammers to make a dent in their belief system.

A question: On the 60 minutes presentation, did they something akin to "We interiewed many many Republicams and they all, every one of them, think in the manner that we are showing."?

We know that many Republicans believe, or at least pretend to believe, that Trump won the lection in 2020, that Jan 6 was just a simple tourist event, and so on. But we also know that some people who have long voted Republican will at least not be voting for Trump, and some will be voting for Harris. Perhaps each and every R in Maricopa County county believes that the 2020 election was stolen. Or perhaps many but not all of them do. Did 60 minutes clarify this? Maybe time was too short, they would have needed 65 minites to discuss such details.
Ken

#22002 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted Today, 07:29

View Postakwoo, on 2024-October-07, 20:32, said:

Votes for Trump are just protest votes protesting the necessity to have some smarts to have a future in our society, and in particular the disappearance of jobs that one can do just by following directions.

I don't see how to fix that.

Maybe some discussion about this?

The longshoremen have been in the news. My father, 50 and more years ago, installed weatherstripping. Neither job requires a college degree (my father finished eighth grade) , both jobs require learning some things and taking your job seriously. At times my father would hire someone to work with him, but then the guy would show up late with a hangover and my father would fire him.

OK, jobs have disappeared, part of the longshoremen strike was to get agreement not to replace them robots. So yes, we need to pay attention to the needs of those who will not be going to college. Let's do that. Electing Trump would not be the best solution.
Ken

#22003 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted Today, 10:43

View Postkenberg, on 2024-October-08, 07:29, said:

Maybe some discussion about this?

The longshoremen have been in the news. My father, 50 and more years ago, installed weatherstripping. Neither job requires a college degree (my father finished eighth grade) , both jobs require learning some things and taking your job seriously. At times my father would hire someone to work with him, but then the guy would show up late with a hangover and my father would fire him.

OK, jobs have disappeared, part of the longshoremen strike was to get agreement not to replace them robots. So yes, we need to pay attention to the needs of those who will not be going to college. Let's do that. Electing Trump would not be the best solution.

Over the past week or so, I've seen a bunch of discussions around what would be necessary to replace longshoremen with automated systems...

From what I have seen, this really isn't practical.

It is absolutely possible to build ports that are much more automated / require many fewer laborers, however, this isn't the sort of thing that can be retrofitted. At least not easily. All of the ports that folks are seeing that are fully automated represent new construction over in China.

So, I suspect that most of this talk about "automation" is a distraction
Alderaan delenda est

#22004 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted Today, 11:23

View Posthrothgar, on 2024-October-08, 10:43, said:

Over the past week or so, I've seen a bunch of discussions around what would be necessary to replace longshoremen with automated systems...

It is absolutely possible to build ports that are much more automated / require many fewer laborers, however, this isn't the sort of thing that can be retrofitted. At least not easily. All of the ports that folks are seeing that are fully automated represent new construction over in China.

What you say sounds sensible. Maybe this:

Next year longshore work will be much the same as it is now. Thirty years from now things will be very different. A thirty year old guy currently working as a longshoreman might be thinking about this. Thirty years should be long enough so that plans can be made. But I think planning is important. I want the guy to have a good job when he is 60. Maybe not exactly the same job.
Ken

#22005 User is online   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 11:40

View Posthrothgar, on 2024-October-08, 10:43, said:

You're talking short term practice.

I'm talking about a long term trend, a trend that has taken routine labor out of the center of our society to something that everyone sees will be mostly gone in a couple generations. It's not about being able to afford rent and groceries - it's about going from feeling like they were an important contributor to the country to feeling like they are some largely irrelevant sideshow getting the scraps that are left over from all the stuff the smarties are managing to do. Take the longshoremen - whether or not their jobs are actually replaced with machines, they're going from being a vital part of getting stuff to their neighbors to people who aren't actually needed (because a robot could do the job) but still have a job only because either the union negotiated it for them or because the company finds them cheaper than the robot. How humiliating does that feel?

Trump being an idiot is actually an asset to him. His supporters don't want a smart President, because they don't think a smart President understands how to make the country work for dumb people. They're tired of the country being run by smart people.

(And I want to emphasize this is not about education but rather about the ability to figure stuff out on the fly, manage a significant amount of information, and learn on the job. It's the difference between the Macdonalds employee who can just manage the fry cooker and the one who can juggle and concurrently manage four different orders going through the drive-through line.)

• 1101 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

105 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 104 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Cyberyeti,
  3. Facebook