BBO Discussion Forums: Would you balance here? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you balance here? If not, different VUL/scoring change your thinking?

#1 User is offline   hokum 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-09, 02:25

Are you bidding? If so or if not, what would change your mind?

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-09, 02:48

No,I would pass.
However,passing or bidding,it depends on your agreements on how to open weak two bid.
Assume that you play weak two bid,if you think this hand is too weak to open weak 2,so it would be unreasonable logic thought to make a balancing bid.
If you think this hand should open weak 2,here there is not any balancing issue left.
I think this is a issue about whether opening weak two bid instead of balancing after strong 1nt.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 03:19

I am definitely bidding. Not even gonna ask scoring.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-09, 03:32

I'd bid too, at any vul/scoring. The only time I'm not bidding is if partner is a passed hand.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 08:32

I will try pass.

I think I would pass in all cases.

#6 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-09, 09:05

Bidding here is absolutely clear.

Partner will never punish you for an aggressive balance because they heard you pass in 2nd seat.

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-June-09, 09:31

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-June-09, 09:05, said:

Bidding here is absolutely clear.

Partner will never punish you for an aggressive balance because they heard you pass in 2nd seat.

It's not partner you have to worry about punishing you it's west. At MP even -1X is -200 and a bottom
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-09, 11:01

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-June-09, 09:31, said:

It's not partner you have to worry about punishing you it's west. At MP even -1X is -200 and a bottom

Oh... to me this is losing bridge.

Pd has anywhere between 11-16 points. This is if (a big IF) you are playing X for penalty. Otherwise pd has 11-20 hcp. Pd also has a balanced hand since he did not act.
Possibility of this 2 being punished by opponents is less than the possibility of NT opening being punished. Much less actually.
I'd go as far as calling pass a crime at MP, because most of the time you see pd leading a .
This is the best position available. Our values are in the hand behind NT opener.
It may sound off to you, but if you added about 8-10 more hcp crumbles to my hand, I would not be as comfortable as with this hand to take an action.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 11:33

Auto 2 for me. Swap diamonds and spades and I'd hesitate slightly longer at MP, for fear of pushing them into 2S (but then probably still bid it).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-09, 12:56

2H for me, any type of scoring.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-09, 13:08

View PostMrAce, on 2015-June-09, 11:01, said:

Oh... to me this is losing bridge.

Pd has anywhere between 11-16 points. This is if (a big IF) you are playing X for penalty. Otherwise pd has 11-20 hcp. Pd also has a balanced hand since he did not act.
Possibility of this 2 being punished by opponents is less than the possibility of NT opening being punished. Much less actually.
I'd go as far as calling pass a crime at MP, because most of the time you see pd leading a .
This is the best position available. Our values are in the hand behind NT opener.
It may sound off to you, but if you added about 8-10 more hcp crumbles to my hand, I would not be as comfortable as with this hand to take an action.

Why does partner have a balanced hand?

Would you act opposite a passed hand partner, red, with say Jxxx x KJxxx AQx?

I wouldn't.

Now, you may well survive a balance opposite that type of hand, but I think you are overstating matters when you infer that partner has a balanced hand.

I think the strongest argument for a balance is that partner clearly has some decent values, that most of them will be well-positioned on offence, and that if we pass he is very likely to make a lead that works out poorly.

At mps, the desire to avoid a lead that costs a trick makes balancing clear to me.

At imps, the issue is less clear, since it is possible that N is sitting there with a hand on which a lucrative penalty double is clear.

20 years ago I would have said this is a wtp pass at imps: these days I opt for a balance, but I don't think it to be as clear as some of these posts suggest. While I have reason to hope for +110 into their +120, for 6 imps, there is a chance of -500 into their 120/150 or, more frequently, -200 into their 120 or so.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-09, 13:56

View Postmikeh, on 2015-June-09, 13:08, said:

Why does partner have a balanced hand?

Would you act opposite a passed hand partner, red, with say Jxxx x KJxxx AQx?

I wouldn't.

Now, you may well survive a balance opposite that type of hand, but I think you are overstating matters when you infer that partner has a balanced hand.

I think the strongest argument for a balance is that partner clearly has some decent values, that most of them will be well-positioned on offence, and that if we pass he is very likely to make a lead that works out poorly.

At mps, the desire to avoid a lead that costs a trick makes balancing clear to me.

At imps, the issue is less clear, since it is possible that N is sitting there with a hand on which a lucrative penalty double is clear.

20 years ago I would have said this is a wtp pass at imps: these days I opt for a balance, but I don't think it to be as clear as some of these posts suggest. While I have reason to hope for +110 into their +120, for 6 imps, there is a chance of -500 into their 120/150 or, more frequently, -200 into their 120 or so.

Why are you giving the worst hand possible to pd? Of course he can have this. But if this is your concern you should not leave the house at all.
And I am the one overstating? Posted Image
Cmon Mike, give me some loving for bidding 2!!! Posted Image

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-09, 14:04

View PostMrAce, on 2015-June-09, 13:56, said:

Why are you giving the worst hand possible to pd? Of course he can have this. But if this is your concern you should not leave the house at all.
And I am the one overstating? Posted Image
Cmon Mike, give me some loving for bidding 2!!! Posted Image

Hey, I voted for 2 myself! How much love do you want? :D

My point really was that one cannot safely infer a balanced hand, especially when we don't know what agreements we have for overcalling. Minor suit hands are generally not catered to in most defences to 1N, unless they are exceptional, and can afford to force to the 3-level. We hold 9 major suit cards, so there is good reason to expect partner to hold a lot of minors, and he could easily hold a fairly good unbalanced hand simply because he can't show it safely.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 15:29

I envision a lot more bad results not balancing at both IMPS and MP then balancing. Some defense to NT systems will have greater risks than others in this spot.

#15 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 18:07

I think I would probably pass at IMPs, although that could easily be wrong; it seems to me that more so than ever that double part score swings determine matches. At pairs I think I would balance, although it obviously not without risk. I think either way it is probably closer than a lot of people here are saying.

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 18:13

i'd rather bid at imps than MPs.

we might make game, opps are less likely to double and -200 is only a minorly poor score.

#17 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-June-09, 21:16

2 Auto
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-09, 23:43

View Posthokum, on 2015-June-09, 02:25, said:

Are you bidding? If so or if not, what would change your mind?
IMO 2 = 10. Pass = 9. As Lycier implies, your earlier pass protects you.

#19 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 00:37

I will bid at any vulnerability, but it is close if vulnerable. It is an obvious bid at neither vulnerable--at favorable, you can't hold this hand unless you don't know how to preempt.

#20 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 01:01

pass.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users