BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Mobile App Version 3.70 Comments Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Mobile App Version 3.70 Comments Thread Please post feedback here

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-01, 13:02

It would be quite nice if holding down the back button (as opposed to simply tapping it), would log you out and unload the program from any point that you are within it (ie sitting at a table). As it is currently you have to click on back maybe several times. This suggestion would not place any further demands on screen real estate. I don't have a stong opinion about whether this should apply to the "back" button in the interface or to the hardware back button. Possibly both, but it was the hardware button that I had in mind. If you press an hold the Back button, a pop-up prompt would ask are you sure you want to totally quit the app.

Check out the way that the Dolphin web browser works to see this in action.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   baystate 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-01, 22:34

On the iPad..

Agree with complaints about chat. Used to be able to scroll back much more.

When declarer, after winning trick that stays on table...huge problem selecting next card if it is under the trick. I use the "delay" feature and really have to click "just right."

Carryover bug from previous versions: if playing a Total Points game, score is not correct for N/S if first plus score goes to North/South. The past hands shows correct results, but not the cumulative score. No problem with E/W scoring.

Would like to add notes to profiles of other players.

#23 User is offline   gwarwick 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-03, 03:30

Dear BBO

3.70 certainly has a slicker appearance on ipad but I believe this at the expense of game functionality.

After nearly a week I still regularly misclick with either a worng card played or have to reselect the correct card if (as I am forced to do) I play slowly.

The previous version while not as visually elegant offered greater certainty in card selection. The kind of interface issues are necessarily highly subjective - you might consider polling ipad/iphone/ android users to see if these are the ramblings of a grumpy old fart or if indeed the card selection methodology is in fact less effective than in the previous version

Regards

Guy Warwick

#24 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-February-03, 07:34

View Postgwarwick, on 2014-February-03, 03:30, said:

Dear BBO

3.70 certainly has a slicker appearance on ipad but I believe this at the expense of game functionality.

After nearly a week I still regularly misclick with either a worng card played or have to reselect the correct card if (as I am forced to do) I play slowly.

The previous version while not as visually elegant offered greater certainty in card selection. The kind of interface issues are necessarily highly subjective - you might consider polling ipad/iphone/ android users to see if these are the ramblings of a grumpy old fart or if indeed the card selection methodology is in fact less effective than in the previous version

Regards

Guy Warwick

Confess that I am kind of surprised at this. I would have thought that filling the screen with over-sized cards or bidding options (per most recent version) would make it harder to misclick.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#25 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-February-03, 22:34

Not a bug report, this, nor suggestion, but just a tip that might be useful to others, that I have discovered:

Earlier I bemoaned the difficulty of replacing a card back into your hand without playing it, having already selected the card by touching it but not yet released, and having by then changed your mind about playing it. You can drag the card all over the screen, and if you are extremely precise and get lucky you can release the card in its original location and it remains unplayed.

An easier, more reliable, dare I say foolproof method is to swipe the offending card completely off the side of the screen.

I still think that it should be made easier to replace the card in its starting location, with less sensitivity, but this workaround helps in the meantime.

#26 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 09:08

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-February-03, 22:34, said:

Not a bug report, this, nor suggestion, but just a tip that might be useful to others, that I have discovered:

Earlier I bemoaned the difficulty of replacing a card back into your hand without playing it, having already selected the card by touching it but not yet released, and having by then changed your mind about playing it. You can drag the card all over the screen, and if you are extremely precise and get lucky you can release the card in its original location and it remains unplayed.

An easier, more reliable, dare I say foolproof method is to swipe the offending card completely off the side of the screen.

I still think that it should be made easier to replace the card in its starting location, with less sensitivity, but this workaround helps in the meantime.

You don't have to replace the card in its starting location. Just move the card a little of the way toward its starting location (if it came from the South position, move it downward, if it came from the North position, move it upward).

When the card background changes color, it will be safe to release it without having to worry about it being played.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#27 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2014-February-04, 11:21

I love the new version - bigger display, better for kibitzing. Bigger buttons to review history or other table (it feels like). Iphone 4. Haven't tried playing yet. But the feel of it is improved.

#28 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:47

Ditto on iPad 2. I use my iPad for 90% of my BBO play. The new interface just isn't good. It is very cartoonish, the chat is much to big as is the other information.

The "play field" was much, much better in the old version. It has even taken some of the joy out of watching Sabine Auken play. :(

Daniel

#29 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:50

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-February-03, 07:34, said:

Confess that I am kind of surprised at this. I would have thought that filling the screen with over-sized cards or bidding options (per most recent version) would make it harder to misclick.

I know it is weird, but I have the same problem (iPad 2). Let's also be honest. I have to guess very little of the serious traffic to BBO is on a smart phone. While "clicking" is probably easier a phone, for some reason it is harder for me also on the ipad.

#30 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 15:52

View PostAntrax, on 2014-January-29, 10:38, said:

- The GIB bid descriptions, when holding down the bid, appear pretty far away from where you'd naturally look.

Sometimes the won't come up at all for me. It gets stuck on "loading."

#31 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-February-05, 16:15

View Postfred, on 2014-February-04, 09:08, said:

You don't have to replace the card in its starting location. Just move the card a little of the way toward its starting location (if it came from the South position, move it downward, if it came from the North position, move it upward).

When the card background changes color, it will be safe to release it without having to worry about it being played.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I hadn’t noticed this before (obviously) but thanks, this helps a lot.

#32 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-February-07, 15:30

Couple of requests:

1) Can we have a "Refresh (screen)" button in more places?
I have seen it in at least one place, which is the "who is online" window, when dialed to "Kibitzers".
But for me the most useful place would be at the point where I am reviewing open tables, with a view possibly to joining one of them. If you delay the choice, then click on a seat, it is often no longer available but the screen does not reflect that. If I clicked on refresh immediately before sitting I would be less likely to make a wasted attempt. But that would require a refresh button. You can sort of achieve it by alternating between full tables and open tables, which is a 2-click process, and inferior in my view.

2) When I enlarge the chat area, it also scales up the size of text within it so that the same text occupies the total chat area. Usually if I am enlarging the chat area it is not because I find the existing text too small to read but more likely because I want to see more text on the screen, before it scrolls off. I would hope to achieve this by enlarging the chat area but leaving the text size unchanged. OK, perhaps if I was playing on a small screen mobile phone I might feel differently, and maybe that is why you have designed it that way. In which case, so be it. The problem would be largely solved by enabling scrolling back to text that has disappeared off the top. OK, I know that you have been trying for that but encountered technical problems. I do hope that eventually you overcome them, because this would be a substantial benefit.

#33 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-February-11, 08:55

This is an inadequate bug report but mentioned in case anyone else experiences it.

I ran a team match last night (using the web client). One of the players was using an iPad and on three occasions (during 16 boards) was unable to play the final card to a trick. In each case he was waiting for the third hand to play a card which I, as host, could see had been played. He was still able to chat to the table but needed to log out and back in again to play to the trick. I think the other players were a mix of web and Windows clients.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#34 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 09:51

I continue to have problems with 'delay' playing robot tournaments with the new version. Playing in the 25cent 8 board robo-dups, at least 50% of my tournmanets I will experience this. It is pretty annoying. This also makes Robot Races unplayable on the iPad.

I know it is weird, but I find it MUCH easier to misclick on the new iPad app then the old one.

Are there any 'fixes' planned? :(

#35 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 10:28

View Post42krunner, on 2014-February-11, 09:51, said:

Are there any 'fixes' planned? :(

We are working on a new version. Aside from a bunch of bug fixes, there will be some new features:

- access to instant tournaments
- player notes
- option to make fonts on cards smaller

If you explain what you mean by the "delay", I might be able to do something about it. Sorry if you explained that somewhere else already and I missed it.

No promises, but I am hopeful that the new version will be available by the end of February.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#36 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 16:00

Fred, you are the greatest.

By delay I mean there is many times where robot takes 10+ seconds to play a card. There is never latency when I click on a card.

It's really made the experience worse, so I really appreciate the team working on things.

Dan

#37 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 09:22

View Post42krunner, on 2014-February-11, 16:00, said:

Fred, you are the greatest.

By delay I mean there is many times where robot takes 10+ seconds to play a card. There is never latency when I click on a card.

It's really made the experience worse, so I really appreciate the team working on things.

Dan

Thanks for clarifying, Dan. Anyone else out there experiencing similar problems?

I will try to figure out what is going on, but it would help if you could answer some questions:

1) When the robot is slow, do you have to do something (like tap the screen somewhere) in order to get it to play? Or will it eventually play if you just sit there and do nothing?

2) Have you noticed if there is any pattern? For example, maybe it only happens when the robot is on lead to a trick.

3) When convenient, please try anonymous play and let me know if you experience the same delays.

4) Please let me know what settings you have selected for pictures of cards, card animation, and autoplay singletons. Also let me know if you normally use your mobile device in portrait or landscape orientation when playing race events.

5) What sort of mobile device are you using?

Please feel free to respond by e-mail (fred@bridgebase.com) if you prefer.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully we will be able to get to the bottom of this...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#38 User is offline   KamalK 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 17:23

Thanks for the new version, I am quite comfortable with it. Just a couple of things

1. Chat - can't scroll. Guess it's been discussed elsewhere too
2. When playing in a Club, can chat to Club. No option for this. S can't invite players who are kibitzing in the Club.
3. The scores columns don't show + - tricks so when reviewing I can't see how many overtricks or otherwise.
4. To log out, have to hit many back buttons
5. If I want to sub in a tourney, have to send a personal chat to host of that tourn, who is sometimes offline as TDs are conducting. Then have to look for TDs names and send them a private chat.
6. Notes for friends can't be added in their profiles I see

These are what I've noticed. And again, maybe there's something I am not using right. If someone could pls explain?

The screen layout is nice.

Thanks to Team BBO. Best wishes
"If anything needs to be done *at all*, it needs to be done well"

#39 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 22:39

I experience occasional bot slowness in the iPad app on anonymous play, but I had the same on 3.6 and previous versions too. Always thought it just means server load. If you wait long enough the bot eventually plays a card.

#40 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-13, 10:37

View PostKamalK, on 2014-February-12, 17:23, said:

6. Notes for friends can't be added in their profiles I see

Notes are coming in the next version, as Fred said a couple of days ago.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users