• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slammy?

#1 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-02, 17:24

1: Precision, any 16+.
2: No gadgets as responder, so we'll have to live with a natural GF 2.
Pass over 4: Normal forcing pass-principles, so X would have been to play 4X, and if we double it is to play as well.

What now?

You are welcome to assume your favourite agreements for such situations.
Michael Askgaard

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-02, 19:38

Hm. I have played 4NT at this point to be takeout, so I'll try that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2014-January-02, 19:48

5. In my mind, partner can bid 5N as pick a slam, I'll choose clubs, and he can rechoose diamonds to suggest the reds if that's what he has in mind. Plus, partner may be able to kick it to grand if he had a hand that was going to perpetrate a pass/pull auction.
Chris Gibson

#4 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 22:03

Interesting problem. X is out of question (at least IMO), 4N might be construed as an offer to play (or even the minors, emphasizing s), and 5 / 5N commit us to the 6-level.

In this case, I will take the low road with 4N and hopefully we'll get another chance to consider bidding. If pard passes it out, we rank to make it.
foobar on BBO

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-02, 23:50

View Postmfa1010, on 2014-January-02, 17:24, said:

1: Precision, any 16+.
2: No gadgets as responder, so we'll have to live with a natural GF 2.
Pass over 4: Normal forcing pass-principles, so X would have been to play 4X, and if we double it is to play as well.
What now?
You are welcome to assume your favourite agreements for such situations.
IMO 4N (followed by 5) = 10, 5 = 9, 5 = 6, Double = 5, 5N = 4.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 03:12

I'd bid 4NT and then pass the response.

Driving slam seems excessive, especially if we're going to play in diamonds. It's easy to picture hands with no spade wastage, but partner is allowed to have a spade card. I wouldn't expect him to double 4 with Axx Kxxx Axx AQx.

If he does have a miracle hand like xxx AKx Axx AQxx I expect he'll tell me about it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-January-03, 03:45

I wonder what the difference between direct 5 and 4NT-(..)-5 is. I think the direct 5 shows longer diamonds and the slow route shows the flexible hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 05:50

4NT is takeout. But does it show 3 suits or could it be 6-4 in the minors and misfit for hearts? What does the 4NT bidders expect?

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-January-03, 03:45, said:

I wonder what the difference between direct 5 and 4NT-(..)-5 is. I think the direct 5 shows longer diamonds and the slow route shows the flexible hand.

I wonder about these things too.

If one is to bid slam, there are a huge number of sequences available: 4NT followed by a raise, 4NT followed by 5, 4NT followed by 5NT, 5, 5NT, and various sequences where we correct partner's choice of strain to some other strain. It annoys me that much of this is so ill-defined, not that every sequence needs a specific meaning, but it would be nice to have a rough idea.
Michael Askgaard

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-January-03, 08:13

View Postmfa1010, on 2014-January-03, 05:50, said:

4NT is takeout. But does it show 3 suits or could it be 6-4 in the minors and misfit for hearts? What does the 4NT bidders expect?

It might be 5-4 with either clubs or hearts as the second suit. Responding to partner's pass is like responding to a takeout double, so 4NT is two places to play. 5 would be a stronger suggestion to play in clubs, so normally 5-5.

I wonder about these things too.

If one is to bid slam, there are a huge number of sequences available: 4NT followed by a raise, 4NT followed by 5, 4NT followed by 5NT, 5, 5NT, and various sequences where we correct partner's choice of strain to some other strain. It annoys me that much of this is so ill-defined, not that every sequence needs a specific meaning, but it would be nice to have a rough idea.

Perhaps I should wait for Phil King to answer this, but how about:
4NT then 5 = cue-bid for the last-bid suit
4NT then 5NT = further choice of strains (or perhaps it should be a grand-slam try without first-round spade control)
5 direct = cue-bid for diamonds
5NT direct = three-suited
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 08:38

Driving slam seems excessive, especially if we're going to play in diamonds. It's easy to picture hands with no spade wastage, but partner is allowed to have a spade card. I wouldn't expect him to double 4 with Axx Kxxx Axx AQx.

*** Disagree. If partner does not see slam, either a spade card wasted in a 16-18
or poor (<5) controls, he must double (as a no slam warning).
Even with maximal controls 17, this hand has the abysmal 3343 = deduct 2.

If he does have a miracle hand like xxx AKx Axx AQxx I expect he'll tell me about it. -- gnasher

*** That's about his expectable normal to employ forcing pass.
He won't let any move by me to further describe my 2D-GF stop short of slam.

*** As others suggest, this is an area in bidding theory that is woefully
under discussed, even to by-guess, by-golly. Seldom even some bids chosen are clear; others murky.

*** After forcing pass was chosen, I try 5S. Partner should have little wasted in spades
and more than minimum honors opposite my 3-suiter.
I expect he reads a slam-agreeing 3-suiter picks 5S.

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 08:41

4NT: 'Pick an agreement, P'.

I don't expect it to be passed.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-03, 08:52

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-03, 03:12, said:

If he does have a miracle hand like xxx AKx Axx AQxx I expect he'll tell me about it.

I agree. Just because partner showed a strong hand and did not double 4 doesn't mean that there are 12 tricks here. And if there are, partner should have a reasonable idea where to play it when I bid 4NT.

#13 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 09:54

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-03, 08:13, said:

[4NT] might be 5-4 with either clubs or hearts as the second suit. Responding to partner's pass is like responding to a takeout double, so 4NT is two places to play. 5 would be a stronger suggestion to play in clubs, so normally 5-5.

I agree. This seems to me to be the normal way to play these 4NTs.

It is a weakness in the cautious plan (4NT then pass) that hearts are hidden. We could easily belong in hearts, and partner will have a tough time bidding them over 4NT.

Perhaps I should wait for Phil King to answer this, but how about:
4NT then 5 = cue-bid for the last-bid suit
4NT then 5NT = further choice of strains (or perhaps it should be a grand-slam try without first-round spade control)
5 direct = cue-bid for diamonds
5NT direct = three-suited

Thanks.
4NT then 5: I agree. A high-level cuebid directly after partner bid a suit is usually forwardgoing in that suit. I would expect that to apply here as well.
4NT then 5NT: I agree with further choice of strains. Getting to the right strain is so important.

I don't know about the last two. Your suggestion sounds good.
Michael Askgaard

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-03, 10:03

View Postgnasher, on 2014-January-03, 03:12, said:

With that hand, what would gnasher bid over his partner's 4N?

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-January-03, 10:05

View Postnige1, on 2014-January-03, 10:03, said:

With that hand, what would gnasher bid over his partner's 4N?

5NT, denying first-round spade control and showing two places to play.

#16 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2014-January-03, 13:33

I have further thoughts that inform my own choice: While it is possible that partner has 4 HCP of spade wastage, that is a worst case scenerio. As it is, I have a fit for whatever partner's suit is, and my diamonds will provide a source of tricks, as will ruffing spades with my trump holding. Partner may have doubled with some 4-3-3-3 hand with an ace or K of spades, so I'm not expecting the worst case scenerio of a minimum HCP wise with max wastage and bad trick taking ability.

I'm not saying slam is clear, because it isn't, but I do think that slam odds favor the more aggressive action - sometimes you were going down in 5 anyway, sometimes you make on misdefence...I'm putting cards in partner's hand where he might make a forcing pass with an ambiguous hand (ie, won't force to slam over our action), and I think we make more than half.

Now as to why 5 instead of 4N - this is an undiscussed high level auction. I am 100% sure that 5 won't be passed, and it gives partner the opportunity to suggest other strains with 5N/6C. On the other hand, I'm only 98% sure that 4N won't be passed.

My intuitive feel between the difference between the sequence 4N-5 compared to 5 directly is that the slower sequence should show more interest in grand, not a difference in shapes, but I can certainly be convinced that 1) that's not standard and 2) its also idiodic. I haven't given it much thought, frankly.
Chris Gibson

#17 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 13:40

I would bid 4N and raise 5 to 6 (with 5-5 I would have bid 6 directly so partner should know).

The spade void is huge and partner will not be able to visualize it. Partner already showed something positive so I don't want to put too much pressure on him bidding on. Expect that slam will have good play most of the time.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 16:21

One way or another, i will drive to slam. I am with Chris on this one.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-January-03, 16:57

5 looks 3 suited to me, while 5NT is 2 suited.

Partner has shown (or rather strongly suggested) support for diamonds with his pass, for me this makes 4NT RKCW although I am not fully sure, so I'd rather avoid the bid.

#20 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-04, 03:31

i'm in the slam camp - i've gone off before. i'll just bid 5nt. i don't want partner getting carried away.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users