Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claiming v robots

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-26, 14:55

I love being able to claim v robots. Vast improvement.

But I dislike the concession feature. At least I dislike the way that it works.

I am far more likely to want to claim in mid-trick than to concede.

And I am sure that I will get used to it, so this will reduce in frequency over time, but I have on a few occasions conceded the rest when I meant to claim the rest, purely through inattention for which I accept the blame.

My personal preference would be for there to be no concession button, if it were a straight choice between that and the currrent configuration. But a small tweak should be sufficient to have the best of both worlds. What if you click on the claim button and the popup window is then identical regardless of the stage of the current trick, which window would maybe have a "concede all" button as well as a claim button within it?

BTW, if the robots reject a claim, do they thereafter play double dummy?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-26, 15:37

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-December-26, 14:55, said:

But I dislike the concession feature. At least I dislike the way that it works.

I am far more likely to want to claim in mid-trick than to concede.

These limitations are in the GIB program. We didn't want to try rewriting its claim logic, we just took what it already does and added it to the BBO client.

And I am sure that I will get used to it, so this will reduce in frequency over time, but I have on a few occasions conceded the rest when I meant to claim the rest, purely through inattention for which I accept the blame.

During testing I predicted to Uday that there would be complaints about this. He made the confirmation dialog clearer about it, but we felt that having the option is better than not.

BTW, if the robots reject a claim, do they thereafter play double dummy?

No.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-26, 15:59

View Postbarmar, on 2013-December-26, 15:37, said:

During testing I predicted to Uday that there would be complaints about this. He made the confirmation dialog clearer about it, but we felt that having the option is better than not.

Maybe colour-code the concede button with a red background?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-26, 18:07

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-December-26, 14:55, said:

I have done the same.

View Postbarmar, on 2013-December-26, 15:37, said:

I think there is an easy solution: make sure that the concession pop-up window has a different layout than the claim pop-up window.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-27, 10:41

View Postcherdano, on 2013-December-26, 18:07, said:

I think there is an easy solution: make sure that the concession pop-up window has a different layout than the claim pop-up window.

Doesn't it?

Claim:

Posted Image

Concede:

Posted Image

I suppose we could swapped the positions of the Concede and Cancel buttons in the second window, so if you habitually gravitate towards the Claim button you'll cancel.

The change that was made from the initial version of the concede button was to make it bolder, hopefully to alert you to the difference. The other suggestion I made, which wasn't adopted, was to change the Claim button below the table to Concede.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-27, 11:14

Sorry, I meant that the "Claim" and the "Concede" button should be at different positions. That's the one button you are looking for in a quick claim.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users