BBO Discussion Forums: Speaking English at the Bridge Table - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speaking English at the Bridge Table

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-23, 14:54

I was going to write an answer along the same lines as Adam's. As an extra tip you can set the source language to be automatically detected so you do not even have to know that. Words such as "colour" will be a translation of "suit" and "honour" will often show up as something comical like "shape" or "character". My experiences from this method have been identical to Adam's.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   jcalex2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-December-23, 21:51

View PostCromlyn, on 2013-December-21, 06:26, said:

I was enjoying myself in the Main Bridge Club when after a few hands the opponents started talking in a foreign language. I have no idea what they were talking about and it could have been quite innocent but I thought everyone on BBO was supposed to use English? Is this correct?

If so what should I do when this happens?

Simply open up Google split screen with active BBO hand (Keep playing at same time) and copy and paste into google with the word "translate" in front of it, I do it all the time

#23 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-24, 04:28

View Postawm, on 2013-December-23, 13:12, said:

When this happens on BBO I sometimes try to use Google Translate. While this is certainly imperfect (sometimes humorously so) I can normally get the gist of what is being discussed. Usually it is opponents criticizing each other's bidding/play on the prior hand, in which case I am thankful that they did not make me listen to the ridiculous recriminations live or read them in a language I understand. :)

Instead, they made you copy-paste their ridiculous recriminations into Google translate :D :P
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users