BBO Discussion Forums: Show maximum contracts (GIB/deep finesse) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Show maximum contracts (GIB/deep finesse) Offline tournaments do

#1 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-19, 21:18

When a hand is over, why not show the maximum contract for each declarer like they do at in-person tourneys, eg:
Makeable :
N:2D3S
S:2D3S
E:4C6HlN
W:4C5HlN

#2 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-May-20, 08:59

A good suggestion, and one that might reduce the demand on the GIB button if the result was already there.

Preferably number of tricks available in each of the 4 declarers x 5 denominations, not just makeable contracts -- always a pain when trying to see how far down something goes or whether a sacrifice was paying, with the printouts at a live tournament.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-15, 00:41

Thirded.
Until implemented you can use Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain. It is not instantaneous as suggested by op, and you have to wait until the movement is complete before it is made available to download from MyHands. But the autodownload facility takes away the pain of manual input of 52 cards
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2013-June-15, 22:32

1eyedjack, on 2013-June-15, 00:41, said:

Thirded.
Until implemented you can use Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain. It is not instantaneous as suggested by op, and you have to wait until the movement is complete before it is made available to download from MyHands. But the autodownload facility takes away the pain of manual input of 52 cards

I use a software called "tenace" to read the .lin files downloaded and analyse them.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-June-15, 23:26

mikl_plkcc, on 2013-June-15, 22:32, said:

I use a software called "tenace" to read the .lin files downloaded and analyse them.
Sounds interesting. Have you also tried Bridge Captain’s version for comparison? I have not tried tenace so I am no help there. Really need coments from one who has tried both
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-June-15, 23:50

OK have had a peek at tenace. Not a fair comparison because I am away from home on an Android tablet so my experience of tenace is limited to reviewing web page descriptions but from what I see I shall be sticking with Bridge Captain.

Both systems seem to rely on Bo’s DD engine.

Main advantage of Tenace is linux compatibility.
Main disadvantage of both is lack of IOS or Android compatibility.

Main advantages of Bridge Captain APPEAR to be:

No need to download lin files. You can import large numbers of hands directly into the software directly from the MyHands database. played by any single named BBO player.
A fair amount of analysys support is already provided for you beyond the DD solution of individual hands, such as how you fared statistically, filtered by partner, opponents, or a whole lot of other criteria ie game hands, slam hands and so on. You can filter out hands on which you achieved or beat par and a lot more.
I can’t say for certain that Tenace can’t do these things but on reading the website I doubt it, or I doubt that it is so effortless.

#7 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2013-June-16, 08:10

I'm not going to try Bridge Captain soon because:
  • It is not free software.
  • Therefore, it is not included in my free operating system.

However, I have only used a few features in tenace, mainly the double-dummy solver, including the par contract. However, it doesn't seem to be scriptable so the things it can do is very limited, going against the UNIX philosophy.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-June-16, 09:06

You are misinformed.
Bridge Captain is not free, but its double dummy solver is a standalone application which is separately downloadable for free. The developer invites voluntary donations. It is however strictly a windows app so that alone may be a killer for you.
I don’t know anything about scripting but it does all that I require without. I don’t insist that others use it. I have no connection. I only try to inform

#9 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 08:09

1eyedjack, on 2013-June-15, 23:50, said:

Main advantage of Tenace is linux compatibility.

I have installed the Windows Version of double dummy solver under Ubuntu using wine, and have no problems when using it.

Karl

#10 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 08:20

1eyedjack, on 2013-June-15, 23:26, said:

Sounds interesting. Have you also tried Bridge Captain’s version for comparison? I have not tried tenace so I am no help there. Really need coments from one who has tried both

Can anyone recommend a program that can generate many hands to fit specified paramaters (hand pattern, HCP, etc) and offer a summary of makeable contracts? This thread suggests Bridge Captain can do that one hand at a time, but how about a quick analysis of say 400 hands at a time to test bidding scenarios. "If I make this bid how often will it pay?". Would be a quick way to strengthen bidding judgement in certain areas.

Thanks

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-December-24, 08:39

No - Bridge Captain's double dummy solver does not have a facility to deal random hands subject to conditions. It will only read hands dealt/played elsewhere and saved in lin or pbn format and then analyse those hands for you (you can enter individual custom hands card by card, but not randomly deal them).

For dealing random hands subject to constraints I use Dealmaster Pro, but it is not free. Dealmaster can also do some DD analysis but I find it more helpful to export the DMPro hands and analyse them in Bridge Captain's DD Solver, although others more conversant in DMPro suggest to me that this is a superfluous extra step.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 08:54

Siegmund, on 2013-May-20, 08:59, said:

A good suggestion, and one that might reduce the demand on the GIB button if the result was already there.

Preferably number of tricks available in each of the 4 declarers x 5 denominations, not just makeable contracts -- always a pain when trying to see how far down something goes or whether a sacrifice was paying, with the printouts at a live tournament.

You should ask the organisers of your tournaments or duplicate clubs to do the above. Deep Finesse can include this level of detail on hand records; I am sure other DD solvers can do the same.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-December-24, 09:08

Vampyr, on 2013-December-24, 08:54, said:

You should ask the organisers of your tournaments or duplicate clubs to do the above. Deep Finesse can include this level of detail on hand records; I am sure other DD solvers can do the same.

I think that Siegmund's suggestion was a request that this analysis be shown by default in BBO. I expect it will come one day, when they have run out of other aspects to develop.

#14 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-24, 21:39

1eyedjack, on 2013-December-24, 08:39, said:

No - Bridge Captain's double dummy solver does not have a facility to deal random hands subject to conditions. It will only read hands dealt/played elsewhere and saved in lin or pbn format and then analyse those hands for you (you can enter individual custom hands card by card, but not randomly deal them).

For dealing random hands subject to constraints I use Dealmaster Pro, but it is not free. Dealmaster can also do some DD analysis but I find it more helpful to export the DMPro hands and analyse them in Bridge Captain's DD Solver, although others more conversant in DMPro suggest to me that this is a superfluous extra step.

Thanks. I'll play around with DMPro next time I have access.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users