Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot Speed Want to Slow down

#1 User is offline   ntlimitles 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-December-20, 11:15

I host practice sessions in BILies Retreat and a lot of the players who join me are beginners. The speed of the robots (if I can't get a full compliment of humans) is torturous. I'd like to be able to slow them down so if the people learning have trouble following, they aren't left in the dust by demented bots.

I'd be happy to see a speed option when renting bots. Hope that's a doable software update.

Thanks!
Nancy

#2 User is offline   BrdgStudy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-December-27, 07:11

I can only endorse this recommendation. It is fun to play with the three robots, but it seems it could be a much better experience for learning. Having a way to slow things down so that it becomes possible to think about the what's and why's would be a big step in the right direction. I often have trouble even catching the count of tricks at the end of the game and I never have time to consider what happened after my play in the last trick.

It would also be a help to get some feedback on bidding. Sometimes I make a mistake in bidding and I realize the mistake on my own (perhaps I clicked on the wrong button by mistake, for example). Other times I am simply mystified about what went wrong and why my partner seems to me to have bid so oddly. When the software can recognize that my bid was wrong, I'd like to have that feedback - at least as an option.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-27, 10:23

View PostBrdgStudy, on 2013-December-27, 07:11, said:

I can only endorse this recommendation. It is fun to play with the three robots, but it seems it could be a much better experience for learning. Having a way to slow things down so that it becomes possible to think about the what's and why's would be a big step in the right direction. I often have trouble even catching the count of tricks at the end of the game and I never have time to consider what happened after my play in the last trick.

You can always review the hand after it's over.

FYI, if you play with advanced robots, they don't usually play as blindingly fast as basic bots. Not to mention they play better as a result of the extra thinking they do.

It would also be a help to get some feedback on bidding. Sometimes I make a mistake in bidding and I realize the mistake on my own (perhaps I clicked on the wrong button by mistake, for example). Other times I am simply mystified about what went wrong and why my partner seems to me to have bid so oddly. When the software can recognize that my bid was wrong, I'd like to have that feedback - at least as an option.

It probably wouldn't be too hard for us to put in a feature where you click on one of your bids and ask the robot "What would you have bid?". Of course, this would have to be after the fact, it wouldn't be fair to let you ask for advice during a live auction.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users