• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Autumn Congress Final ruling

#101 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-28, 04:36

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-26, 17:48, said:

The aces caters for that layout just as well, and also allows you to change your mind when you see Jxx in dummy.

If the opponents have Kxx in dummy opposite Jxx in hand, and you lead the ace of spades, you will be unable to continue the suit, and partner's one putative entry may not now be enough. And I don't think the ace of diamonds lead helps at all, whether or not there is Jxx of spades in dummy; maybe I am missing something.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#102 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 05:19

View Postlamford, on 2013-October-28, 04:36, said:

If the opponents have Kxx in dummy opposite Jxx in hand, and you lead the ace of spades, you will be unable to continue the suit, and partner's one putative entry may not now be enough. And I don't think the ace of diamonds lead helps at all, whether or not there is Jxx of spades in dummy; maybe I am missing something.

Maybe you are missing the fact that when you hold AQ10x, the opponents are unlikely to hold Kxx opposite Jxx unless partner has psyched?

#103 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-28, 06:00

View PostWellSpyder, on 2013-October-28, 05:19, said:

Maybe you are missing the fact that when you hold AQ10x, the opponents are unlikely to hold Kxx opposite Jxx unless partner has psyched?

No, I am suggesting that leading the queen to cater for this layout is certainly no evidence against fielding, as Cascade suggested. Maybe you are missing the fact that I agreed with jallerton that the queen was a normal lead whether or not partner has psyched. And maybe you are missing the fact that one layout I suggested was Kxxx opposite J9x or J8x when partner has certainly psyched. Maybe you are missing something else as well ...

And the layouts where partner has 9x, 8x or xxx in spades and you need to lead the queen are further evidence of fielding rather than against fielding. The ace (of spades) will be just as good if not better, as gnasher states, when partner has four or more spades, although it only gains over the queen in the less likely layout of Jxx in dummy and Kx in declarer's hand. A small spade loses when there is Kxx in dummy and Jx in declarer's hand.

#104 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 06:21

View Postlamford, on 2013-October-28, 04:36, said:

If the opponents have Kxx in dummy opposite Jxx in hand, and you lead the ace of spades, you will be unable to continue the suit, and partner's one putative entry may not now be enough.

It seems much more likely that declarer will have the spade stopper - he is the one who bid 2NT over partner's 1. But I guess stranger things have happened.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#105 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-October-28, 06:26

View Postbillw55, on 2013-October-28, 06:21, said:

It seems much more likely that declarer will have the spade stopper - he is the one who bid 2NT over partner's 1. But I guess stranger things have happened.

No. Traditionally on this auction it is the take-out doubler, who has shown spades, who is expected to have the suit stopped. The 2NT bidder has opener's suit well stopped.

#106 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-28, 06:28

View Postbillw55, on 2013-October-28, 06:21, said:

It seems much more likely to me that the person who doubled 1H, typically showing four spades, would have the spade stopper, especially as we have four and partner told me that he had four. The 2NT bidder is likely to have a singleton or a low doubleton or maybe Jx. But I guess stranger things have happened. And I see FrancesHinden got there before me, and explained it better too.

#107 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 07:03

Learn something new every day :)
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

55 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 55 guests, 0 anonymous users