#61 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-October-23, 19:46

View Postbluejak, on 2013-October-23, 17:50, said:

This seems an unwarranted assumption. As jallerton says:

According to forum rules:

"It is often unsuitable for players to be named in cases posted to these four forums, unless a poster is naming himself, or has the agreement of the person named. So posts should generally not name players, though giving the perceived level of a player is normal. If a poster considers a post should name a player or players for a particular reason he can seek advice from a moderator first, giving the reason."

There have been cases where players are identifiable, which is generally considered to be a breach of the above, though it is a judgement based on how identifiable. Many months ago a poster claimed someone was identifiable, and someone who never posts here was invited to support him by also claiming it was identifiable. It is not our policy to make great efforts to stop someone with such a mind from finding out.

But this case is different. As soon as a link was posted to a website where players can be easily identified then in my view the forum rules were breached. I have deleted the offending post, and also another post that quoted it in full [for no apparent reason].

So while I am not worried about whether people whose aim is to cause trouble could find something out I am worried when people make identification very easy, and that is not permitted in these forums.

I am unconvinced that this practice is best or even practical. It should be normal to be able to report what happens at the table. This is completely analogous to what happens in sports everywhere. Can you imagine a report "the goal was disallowed because a player who we can't identify was offside."

In addition publicity and technology have arguably cleaned up many sports. Hiding the actions of players does little to progress fair play.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#62 User is offline   lamford 

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-23, 19:49

View PostPeterAlan, on 2013-October-23, 16:13, said:

But it raises the following interesting thought. The 1 bid onwards is not regulated under Level 4 (Blue Book 7.4.1: "From responder's first call onwards all partnership understandings are permitted"), so what are your thoughts on the position if E (in the OP) / W (at the table apparently) had alerted partner's 1 and, when asked about it, explained that "it's a two-way bid: either a normal 1 response, or a weak hand, short in , probably with support, and with that or another run-out destination available". Whilst there is a bar on systemic psyching it's not at all obvious that that test is applicable, and nor is the bar on psychic controls. (Rather unfortunately, these psyche-related regulations now appear only in the White Book, not the Blue, and even fewer players will read that.)

Indeed, I recall a frequent psycher's partner alerting 1 in this auction at Young Chelsea on a Friday night as "showing 13 cards". That seems to cater for all hand types and is a permitted means of developing the auction.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#63 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-23, 20:07

View PostCascade, on 2013-October-23, 19:46, said:

I am unconvinced that this practice is best or even practical. It should be normal to be able to report what happens at the table. This is completely analogous to what happens in sports everywhere. Can you imagine a report "the goal was disallowed because a player who we can't identify was offside."

In addition publicity and technology have arguably cleaned up many sports. Hiding the actions of players does little to progress fair play.

Kindly use spitballs, steroids, or point-shaving for your sports analogy. Offside? Gimme a break.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#64 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-23, 21:16

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-October-23, 20:07, said:

Kindly use spitballs, steroids, or point-shaving for your sports analogy. Offside? Gimme a break.

In this country we report: "a Liverpool forward, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was banned for 10 games for biting a Chelsea player. It is against FA rules to inspect team sheets to try to guess who he is."

#65 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-24, 01:54

View Postlamford, on 2013-October-23, 19:18, said:

So, if any breach of forum rules has occurred, it was by RMB1 and mr1303, who jointly enabled identification of the players by giving the event and one of the partnerships by their postings.

I agree completely. I have, out of curiosity, identified many of the so-called offenders in EBU events just from the hand (as given in the post) and the EBU results pages. (Mostly I want to find out how strong and/or experienced they are). Most, but not all, of those I looked for from the recent Brighton series were easy to find. You can't stop it, other than by distorting the original hand - why try?

#66 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-October-24, 01:55

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-October-23, 06:46, said:

The EBU's point of view in these cases is that it is hard to prove that such agreements exist, but that the proof is in the pudding:
    If a player takes an unusually cautious action, to accomodate for the possibility that partner has psyched, that proves that such an agreement exists.

I think the EBU's position is closer to ... the director will rule as though such an agreement existed.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#67 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-October-24, 02:21

View Postjallerton, on 2013-October-23, 15:40, said:

Yes there appear to be quite a lot of points in the pack; that normally just implies that everyone is a bit light for their actions. The fact that partner has chosen to bid 1, despite appearing to hold relatively few high cards, suggests to me that he wants to emphasise spades, presumably at least five spades with some shape. Why do you assume that a player does not hold the suit he has chosen to bid?

It's not a matter of assuming partner has psyched, but of catering for the possibility that he has done so. If you judge, without using a CPU, that a possible explanation for the auction is that partner has psyched, the Laws allow you to act on that judgement. An approach which demands certainty before you cater for a psych does not.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#68 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-October-24, 03:48

View PostPeterAlan, on 2013-October-23, 16:13, said:

But it raises the following interesting thought. The 1 bid onwards is not regulated under Level 4 (Blue Book 7.4.1: "From responder's first call onwards all partnership understandings are permitted"), so what are your thoughts on the position if E (in the OP) / W (at the table apparently) had alerted partner's 1 and, when asked about it, explained that "it's a two-way bid: either a normal 1 response, or a weak hand, short in , probably with support, and with that or another run-out destination available". Whilst there is a bar on systemic psyching it's not at all obvious that that test is applicable, and nor is the bar on psychic controls.

That would be legal. The bar is on using an agreement to expose deviations from your announced agreements, not on having an announced agreement that a bid is two-way.

(Rather unfortunately, these psyche-related regulations now appear only in the White Book, not the Blue, and even fewer players will read that.)

Me too.

#69 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-24, 06:05

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-24, 03:48, said:

That would be legal. The bar is on using an agreement to expose deviations from your announced agreements, not on having an announced agreement that a bid is two-way.

I agree. One can play a 1NT overcall as either 15-17 or a weak two in clubs provided it is alerted and explained as that, under BB7E3c, regardless of how often it is the latter hand type. The latter will tend to pass Stayman, of course. Also 1X-(Dble)-Rdble can be alerted and explained as either 10+ or a weak five-card raise of X, even if the latter hand type rarely occurs.

#70 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-24, 06:43

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-October-23, 20:07, said:

I don't think those examples are comparable to a psyche, because 1) they are outright cheating, which a psyche is not, and 2) they are things that the player is doing covertly and attempting to conceal. Whereas, a psyche, like any bid, is known information as soon as it hits the table.

In general I tend to think that if a player is willing to make a bid in a public game, then said bid is by default already public information, in that there is no expectation of privacy. Hence I have no problem discussing it in an internet forum. If he is shamed by it (which I really doubt), maybe he shouldn't do it publicly to begin with.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#71 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-October-24, 08:29

View Postbillw55, on 2013-October-24, 06:43, said:

I don't think those examples are comparable to a psyche, because 1) they are outright cheating, which a psyche is not, and 2) they are things that the player is doing covertly and attempting to conceal. Whereas, a psyche, like any bid, is known information as soon as it hits the table.

Of course a psyche is not cheating. I was not suggesting it is. We were talking about the fielding of a psyche by illegal means (or just plain illegally). "Offside" in football doesn't carry a stigma. Other acts which are against the rules in a physical sport do carry a stigma, as does fielding a psyche in Bridge.

#72 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-October-24, 09:45

By my reckoning, the terms of service say that I may name myself in a post. I did so - I said the events occurred at the table I was playing at. I didn't name anyone else in the post.

If I may not refer to events that happened to me, this forum might as well not exist.

#73 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-October-24, 10:52

View Postmr1303, on 2013-October-24, 09:45, said:

By my reckoning, the terms of service say that I may name myself in a post. I did so - I said the events occurred at the table I was playing at. I didn't name anyone else in the post.

If I may not refer to events that happened to me, this forum might as well not exist.

It is the Law 23 of BBF.

#74 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-October-24, 13:10

View Postgnasher, on 2013-October-24, 01:55, said:

I think the EBU's position is closer to ... the director will rule as though such an agreement existed.

Does that distinction make a difference?

#75 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-October-24, 14:22

View PostCascade, on 2013-October-23, 19:46, said:

I do sometimes get tired of totally inappropriate comparisons from sports that are totally dissimilar. The forum rules may be wrong or right, but they are not wrong because they are different from spectator sports: bridge is neither spectator, nor is it sport.

Of course the last sentence is a reasonable view. Nevertheless, the forum rules are not being changed at this time.

View Postmr1303, on 2013-October-24, 09:45, said:

The forum rules specifically allow naming oneself.

:ph34r:

I regret I have had to delete another post. Feel free to continue discussing this case or its ramifications without any attempt to clarify who was involved. If you want to discuss whether the forum rules should be changed, please start another thread. But any discussion that involves whether the original problem was judged fairly or who was at fault is inappropriate: such posts will be deleted and if necessary the topic will be closed.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#76 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-24, 17:03

View Postbluejak, on 2013-October-24, 14:22, said:

bridge is neither spectator, nor is it sport.

I disagree. In June 1995, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) admitted the World Bridge Federation (WBF) as part of the Olympic Movement, awarding it the status of a Recognized Sport Organization. This recognition was accorded under Rule 4 of the Olympic Charter.

And I recall 5000 people at one time watching Zia's win of the Bermuda Bowl on Bridgebase. If they were not spectators, I do not know why they were on Vugraph.

#77 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-24, 17:20

View Postbluejak, on 2013-October-24, 14:22, said:

any discussion that involves whether the original problem was judged fairly or who was at fault is inappropriate: such posts will be deleted and if necessary the topic will be closed.

It seems that the entire well-received series from Brighton by VixTd involved discussion of whether the original ruling was correct, and whether any person at the table committed any infraction. Why were these threads not deleted and the topics closed?

#78 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-24, 18:22

Perhaps because those threads did not involve a situation which has been referred to the National Authority for further judgement?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#79 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-October-24, 18:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-October-24, 18:22, said:

Perhaps because those threads did not involve a situation which has been referred to the National Authority for further judgement?

At the point at which that occurred, if it did, this thread should have been closed as further discussion could be prejudicial to any hearing. That is indeed the duty of the moderators, especially as sufficient information had been made available for identification. Similarly, I would not expect discussion of any appeal on here until the appeal had taken place.

#80 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-24, 22:05

The rule is "don't identify specific players involved in a case." So don't do that. Here's another rule: don't argue with the moderator. Any further such posts will be deleted. If I have to I'll delete the thread.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users