BBO Discussion Forums: The Problem with Religious Moderation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Problem with Religious Moderation From Sam Harris

#621 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-28, 06:37

32519, on 2013-November-28, 06:11, said:

It's a shame you don't like science; but it is not much of a surprise since this is typical of religious fundamentalists. Of course I imagine that some of the latter consider that God created science. This approach seems much more interesting -- why choose one when you can have both?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#622 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-November-28, 09:25

Thanks for the link. Good to see this kind of cooperation on an important project:

A Jordan-based scientific research project whose members include Iran and the Palestinian Authority has chosen an Israeli as vice president, the candidate's university confirmed.

Scientists from states participating in the project elected Eliezer Rabinovici, a physics professor at Jerusalem's Hebrew University, as vice-president of the Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME), the university told AFP.

Rabinovici will serve alongside a second vice president from Egypt, according to newspaper Haaretz, which did not give his or her name.

One step at a time...
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#623 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-November-28, 09:50

I had not heard of SESAME so I googled:
http://www.sesame.or...-is-sesame.html

This is very hopeful, both for the science and for the cultural bridge building.
Ken

#624 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-28, 10:00

kenberg, on 2013-November-28, 09:50, said:

This is very hopeful, both for the science and for the cultural bridge building.

Very true.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#625 User is offline   Fujiko 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-December-01, 21:16

32519, on 2013-November-28, 06:11, said:

From the article:
"We work together towards goals that advance the interests of the entire region... thanks to the trust built between us over many years and without the pressures that dominate the political arena"

Even if you disagree with the science, wouldn't this be worth the money itself?

#626 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-December-01, 21:45

Now we got Bitcoins also being traded on the stock exchange. Here is an extract from the article "In South Africa, the currency is being used for stock market speculation and payments."
You have been warned higher up in this thread: The stock market is a disaster waiting to happen.

#627 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-02, 04:03

World trade is now flatlining

#628 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-04, 21:40

Trouble coming as Bitcoin fever catches on.

#629 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 01:55

The Dark Continent giving you more options to lose your money.

#630 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 02:49

32519 you seem to want to make speculation illegal or at best immoral as it serves no good/moral purpose.

I do agree that speculation can often lead to losing money. I do agree speculation is risky.

I look to trains where many many lose money in 1800's
I look to internet where many many lose money in 1900's
I predict many many lose money in computers/robots/medicine in 2000's.

and that is ok...failure is ok.....really ok.
I praise those that took the risk..praise.

#631 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 06:27

You may have forgotten why I am posting these links here.

Projects like the LHC are largely being funded with stock market speculations and crashes. The current bull run is being driven by all the cheep money the USA is printing and which can in many instances be borrowed for as little as 0.25%. Much of that cheep money is finding its way into the stock market and is driving up the prices.

On 9/11 (11 September) the market is going to fall further than what it did in 2008. How do I know that? It’s all in the Book of Revelation which Elohim is busy cracking wide open for me.

I am posting these links for the believers, giving them a chance to get out before the disaster strikes. Non-believers have written me off long ago so they wouldn’t pay any attention to this warning anyway. Also I have succeeded in getting myself onto most of their “Ignored User” list so they won’t be reading these posts anyway.

#632 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-December-05, 06:33

32519, on 2013-December-05, 06:27, said:

On 9/11 (11 September) the market is going to fall further than what it did in 2008. How do I know that? It’s all in the Book of Revelation which Elohim is busy cracking wide open for me.

Where? Show your work please.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#633 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-December-05, 07:20

gwnn, on 2013-December-05, 06:33, said:

Where? Show your work please.

This would be a good idea, 325, if you want to be believed.

In the meantime, would you be so kind as to ask Elohim whether there are any stocks that will do really well, or if we'd all be better off sticking to bonds.

#634 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 10:04

it's a shame there was no bbf when Jesus lived. If there were, he could really have achieved something.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#635 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-December-05, 10:16

helene_t, on 2013-December-05, 10:04, said:

it's a shame there was no bbf when Jesus lived. If there were, he could really have achieved something.

Let alone facebook. His facebook page would have been very interesting.

#636 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-December-05, 13:08

If you'd come today you could have reached a whole nation.
Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication.

-Tim Rice

#637 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-05, 15:35

helene_t, on 2013-December-05, 10:04, said:

Funny you say that. My son just got a homework assignment where he needed to tell the Christmas story and mix it with today's language and social media.

@Nerd Balthazar: This is a cool dude, man! Born with this animal stuff. #Bethlehem #Hotels_Overbooked.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#638 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-December-05, 15:56

Trinidad, on 2013-December-05, 15:35, said:

Funny you say that. My son just got a homework assignment where he needed to tell the Christmas story and mix it with today's language and social media.

@Nerd Balthazar: This is a cool dude, man! Born with this animal stuff. #Bethlehem #Hotels_Overbooked.

Rik

Hotels deny reports that a pregnant woman was turned away because of her religion.
Ken

#639 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-December-30, 13:03

Two articles about the disturbing results of a new Pew Research Poll:

Washington Post - Republicans growing more skeptical about evolution

A new Pew Research Center poll shows a widening political gap over theories about how humans came to be, with Republicans growing increasingly skeptical about the idea that humans evolved over time.

Over the last four years, the percentage of Democrats who said they believe in evolution has risen by three points, from 64 percent to 67 percent. But the percentage of Republicans who believe in the theory has dropped 11 points, from 54 percent to 43 percent.

So while there was a 10-point gap in 2009, there is now a 24-point gap.

Pew says similar shifts have not occurred for any other demographics, either racial or religious.

Slate - Republican Acceptance of Evolution Plummets

A poll released today by the Pew Research Center reveals that acceptance of evolution among Republicans has plummeted in recent years, from 54 percent in 2009 to a jarring 43 percent today. The poll also found that a startling 48 percent of Republicans believe that all living things today have existed in their present form since the start of time.

Democrats and independents fared much better: 67 percent of Democrats accept evolution today (up from 64 percent in 2009), while 65 percent of independents accept it (down from 67 percent in 2013). Overall, 60 percent of Americans accept the basic fact that “humans and other living things have evolved over time,” meaning 40 percent support, to varying degrees, creationism.

But there’s a twist buried in that 60 percent figure. Only half of Americans who accept evolution as fact also accept that it is “due to natural process such as natural selection.”

Somehow, we have got to take the educational system back from the religious whackos.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#640 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-30, 13:31

I often wonder who is getting polled. There seem to be a great many polls published, yet I have never once been polled on anything (not counting BBF polls obv).

I also wonder about response bias - are people with a certain opinion more likely to respond?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users