BBO Discussion Forums: The Problem with Religious Moderation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Problem with Religious Moderation From Sam Harris

#541 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-October-27, 17:37

"You can't fool me! It's elephants all the way down!" :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#542 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 03:05

Fluffy, on 2013-October-27, 13:09, said:

Actually I've done, mikeh has used that argument, and as I said, from god's perspective, lack of a maker might not be any kind of problem. We are locked in a 3d world but god could have a 4d or 7d intelligence we cannot ever begin to understand.

There is also a cyclic theory were god was created by a superior god, and that superior god by another even greater etc, and the greatest of all is us. I don't think it makes much sense but I don't reject it totally.

Doesn't this cyclic theory then simply take you back to where we are now: Not knowing where we came from, but with a lot of surplus gods that explain... nothing. What would be the added value of coming up with these gods?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#543 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-October-28, 04:03

it adds a purpose to the universe

#544 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 04:34

In what way?

The gods created us - why?
We created the gods - why?

I see no purpose, just a useless circle. What do you see?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#545 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 05:28

Trinidad, on 2013-October-27, 09:54, said:

"Two religions on one pillow has the devil sleeping in between."

"The Netherlands has as many religious factions as it has inhabitants"

Hmmm, I hope (at least) one of these pieces of wisdom isn't actually true, otherwise I don't see much of a future for the country....

#546 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-October-28, 05:52

WellSpyder, on 2013-October-28, 05:28, said:

Hmmm, I hope (at least) one of these pieces of wisdom isn't actually true, otherwise I don't see much of a future for the country....

Maybe threesomes with the devil are popular...
:blink:
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#547 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 07:28

Who needs a pillow...

Rik

#548 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-October-28, 08:37

kenberg, on 2013-October-23, 14:55, said:

This thread is really on a trip.

I seem to still wish for the possibility of magic. And why not?

There is IMO a significant difference between wishing for (a knowing muse) and having "faith" - the latter is worthless unless one acts on that "faith".

The idea of "magic" or god, if you prefer, has been tested to a degree. During the 1300s, faith in god was the sole barrier between the Black Death and the population - during those 100 years it is estimated that 75 million people died.

In 1959, modern medicine was firmly entrenched as the answer to illness and worldwide deaths from bubonic plague dropped to 200 per year.

Now, we may like to "muse" that magic can cure illness, but if we want to escape the Black Death then antibiotics and rodent control shows better outcomes. B-)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#549 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 09:25

Winstonm, on 2013-October-28, 08:37, said:

The idea of "magic" or god, if you prefer, has been tested to a degree. During the 1300s, faith in god was the sole barrier between the Black Death and the population - during those 100 years it is estimated that 75 million people died.

In 1959, modern medicine was firmly entrenched as the answer to illness and worldwide deaths from bubonic plague dropped to 200 per year.

That's why god created science!
:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#550 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 09:52

PassedOut, on 2013-October-28, 09:25, said:

That's why god created science!
:)

But why did He do it on the 2017149th day...

Didn't He have his priorities straight? ;)

Rik

#551 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-October-28, 10:11

Trinidad, on 2013-October-28, 09:52, said:

+/- 4,000,000,000,000th days I thought? Or has the big bang theory recently been revised?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#552 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 10:21

helene_t, on 2013-October-28, 10:11, said:

+/- 4,000,000,000,000th days I thought? Or has the big bang theory recently been revised?

I think Rik is referencing young earth ideology. 6000 yr ~ 2x106 days.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#553 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 11:07

Trinidad, on 2013-October-28, 04:34, said:

In what way?

The gods created us - why?
We created the gods - why?

I see no purpose, just a useless circle. What do you see?

I don't see it either. We are here, and many individuals have a purpose, which might be to find a cure for cancer or be a tyrannical dictator. But as for "us, being here" for a purpose... I'm not even sure what it would mean for the whole of humanity to have a collective purpose. If there is something specific we are supposed to accomplish, I never received the memo (and I did go to Catholic school for nine years, and have read all of the Bible. So the answer is not in those places).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#554 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 11:08

Rik

If he had given it more thought, god would have invented science much earlier. Better late than never.
:P

#555 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-29, 02:09

Rik

Oops... I just noted this is a Sunday. No wonder christian fundamentalists have a problem with science.

;)

Rik

#556 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-October-30, 22:20

For some reason people choose to forget that great advances in science were made by Christians who accepted Jesus. Just as those who rejected god created great evil. To name only a few, Hitler, Mao, Stalin and many others.

If your point is many others sinned in God's name, I agree. And yes the pews are full of sinners including me. Thus some of us pray for Grace.

As I yet point out you can fully believe in an afterlife and yet reject all gods.

#557 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-31, 05:20

mike777, on 2013-October-30, 22:20, said:

For some reason people choose to forget that great advances in science were made by Christians who accepted Jesus. Just as those who rejected god created great evil. To name only a few, Hitler, Mao, Stalin and many others.

And vice versa. What is your point?

As I yet point out you can fully believe in an afterlife and yet reject all gods.

Yes, you have mentioned this many times. Do you have a source?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#558 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-31, 06:38

For some reason people choose to forget that great advances in science were made by Christians who accepted Jesus.

Of course, there have been Christian scientists. But I think it is generally recognized that major scientific advances were made during the Enlightenment when it started to be possible to doubt the classic Christian dogma's. I think it is also recognized that Christianity has been a barrier for scientific advancement.

Most of the western scientists (Galilei, Newton, etc.) were Christians, for the simple fact that everybody was a Christian. There was not much choice.

I don't know many great scientists who converted from non-believers to Christians by actively "accepting Jesus". I do know good scientists who are Christians, but all their ancestors are Christians too.

Just as those who rejected god created great evil. To name only a few, Hitler, Mao, Stalin and many others.

There are bad people everywhere: among believers and among non believers, as well as among white, black, yellow, red, short, tall, slim and fat people, among communists and capitalists, men, women, young and old.

But did any of these bad guys ("Hitler, Mao, Stalin and many others") commit their athrocities in the name of non-believing? I don't think so. That was a little bit different for -just to name one- the Spanish inquisition.

If your point is many others sinned in God's name, I agree. And yes the pews are full of sinners including me. Thus some of us pray for Grace.

I also make mistakes. I will try to learn from them to prevent making them again. Asking an Almighty_Being_Who_Probably_Doesn't_Exist for Grace seems like a waste of time that I could use to analyze why I went wrong to begin with and how to prevent this in the future.

Of course. I don't see a need for a causal relationship between believing in afterlife and believing in god(s). I may have missed something, but I don't think anyone claimed there was a need for such a relationship. There seems to be a fair degree of correlation, though, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Rik

#559 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-October-31, 08:14

Trinidad, on 2013-October-31, 06:38, said:

I also make mistakes. I will try to learn from them to prevent making them again. Asking an Almighty_Being_Who_Probably_Doesn't_Exist for Grace seems like a waste of time that I could use to analyze why I went wrong to begin with and how to prevent this in the future.

Rik

Of all the post on this thread, this one gets to the very heart of the Sam Harris argument - that reliance upon a god to directly solve man's difficulties is too often used as a simplistic proxy for the complex reality-based task of finding human answers to human problems, and such reliance on these proxies inhibits genuine human growth.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#560 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-31, 09:45

Trinidad, on 2013-October-31, 06:38, said:

Of course. I don't see a need for a causal relationship between believing in afterlife and believing in god(s). I may have missed something, but I don't think anyone claimed there was a need for such a relationship. There seems to be a fair degree of correlation, though, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Except in some very unusual cases, none of which spring to mind, of course the relationship is causal. And in any case, it would require some supernatural agent to enable our consciousness to continue to exist while our brains are worm food or ashes.

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

32 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook