BBO Discussion Forums: The Problem with Religious Moderation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Problem with Religious Moderation From Sam Harris

#361 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-17, 10:51

32519, on 2013-October-17, 10:43, said:

You have overlooked my first requirement. Stick post 249 onto your fridge, then take a snapshot of it and post it in this thread. If you cannot meet something as simple as that, then I place no value on anything else you post here.

This will need to wait until I get home from work...
Alderaan delenda est

#362 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-17, 11:12

hrothgar, on 2013-October-17, 10:51, said:

This will need to wait until I get home from work...

Ouch!! That might take a while if it wouldn't be for science... how long would you need to walk (naked and barefoot, of course)?

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#363 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-17, 11:16

Trinidad, on 2013-October-17, 11:12, said:

Ouch!! That might take a while if it wouldn't be for science... how long would you need to walk (naked and barefoot, of course)?

;)

Rik

The refrigerator, camera and computer are also problematic...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#364 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-October-17, 11:56

I have to confess: I opened post 249.

One part of the problem is that the troll is fundamentally ignorant. He doesn't have a conceptual basis for understanding the basic issues.

'Nothing' is an interesting concept, especially in light of (what I understand of) the Standard Theory.

Space-time is a 4-dimensional volume and even in a perfect vacuum the theory is that particles at the most fundamental level of reality are popping into existence, in pairs with a net energy of zero, and then, usually, annihilating each other: the analogy I have seen is to a continual foaming sort of creation and destruction.

Krauss, in his analysis of how something can be and, in his view, inevitably will be generated from 'nothing' asserts, persuasively in my view, that we need to go further than this 'vacuum' when we speak of 'nothing'.

'Nothing' includes the absence of space-time itself. I don't know about Krauss, but my ability to feel that I had some intuitive grasp or mental image of the concepts failed at that point, but that is no reason to ignore the argument.

His idea is that 'nothing', in this absolute sense, is unstable and will lead to the spontaneous creation of 'something', which in turn means that space-time comes into existence and so on.

By contrast, we see that 325's concept of 'nothing' is extremely parochial: wind, water, earth and so on.

His mind is so limited that his understanding of language is different from those of us with even a modicum of exposure to 'science'. He literally doesn't understand words the same way we do.

Krauss touches upon the ignorance of the meaning of 'nothing' that became apparent in the words of, iirc, a bishop of some branch of the Christian church, but I suspect it is a common lacuna in the understanding of many. Indeed, I had not thought of 'nothing' in the Krauss sense until I read his book.

But I and, I suspect, most of us here did have some understanding that 'nothing' was a concept somewhat more sophisticated than not having any water or air :P

The Big Bang postulates (and the math seems to work all the way back to an extraordinarily short time after the BB) that the early universe was so dense with energy, that it was too 'hot' for anything we'd recognize as 'matter' to exist. As it inflated and expanded, the density of energy (the 'heat') dissipated and 'matter' began to, as it were, precipitate out. As the expansion continued, the average energy density dropped, and matter began to clump together, due, it seems, to a very tiny asymmetry in the energy distribution.

And so on.

This theory allowed for the calculation, based on estimates of the size of the universe, of what the 'background' residual energy density ought to be: the residual 'temperature' or measurement of 'heat' of the universe. It was only after theorists had said that this ought to be measurable that experimentalists tried to capture it.

Interesting, the Noble prize for discovering the background radiation went to a team of researchers who were not actually looking for it. They were trying something else, and noted what they first thought was signal contamination. It was only after they spent time trying to eliminate it, and found that it was uniformly present no matter which direction in the sky they aimed their apparatus, that they realized that they had found this theoretically predicted concept.

As Deutsch, and others, have argued: while it is possible to observe a phenomenon and then theorize to explain it, the Enlightenment ushered in an era in which it has become possible and popular, amongst scientists, to theorize first and then test the theory by looking for data consistent or inconsistent with the theory. This is, for example, precisely what led to the discovery of the higgs boson: higgs and others, at about the same time, came up with the idea that there was some particle that played a role in providing mass to other particles, and many years later experimental physicists were able to devise experiments that would either confirm or refute the predicted particle.

It is this, some philosophers argue, that caused the rapid expansion of human knowledge that started almost exclusively in the Western World. The Enlightenment led to many changes, including the notions that underlay both the American and French Revolutions and the development of capitalism, but also and, for these purposes, the development of the approach that became known as the scientific principle. It was only after the intellectuals began to realize that one could and should challenge authority and the notions promulgated by authority that, gradually, the idea emerged that one could make conjectures and then test such conjectures. The result: an exponential growth in the discovery of ideas and facts. However, some people can't cope with the resulting uncertainty and reject all of this. Ironically, the troll seems unaware that his ability to post his ravings is based entirely on the concepts that he rejects. The ideas that allow the design and construction of microprocessors are founded on the very same mathematics and physics that validate the Big Bang :P

All of this attitude towards reality is alien to the troll. Imagine a homo sapiens from 50,000 years ago. Cave painting and the creation of crude musical instruments from hollowed out bones constitutes the latest advance in manipulation of the external world. Imagine a helicopter landing nearby. There is no possibility that an adult homo sapiens could ever understand how the helicopter came into existence or was able to fly. He simply lacks the concepts and, being adult, his brain isn't flexible enough to allow him to be taught.

Instead, in all likelihood, he'd either run away or he'd make some show of bravado...howling at the helicopter the way my dogs bark at objects they've never seen before.

To my way of thinking the troll is either the howling homo sapiens/my barking dog, or he actually has some understanding but is getting his jollies by pretending he doesn't, while provoking us with his absurdities. Or both :P

Anybody willing to bet that if he comments on this post, he will show that he understands the idea of the cosmic background radiation and the role that its discovery played in validating the big bang theory? or that he'll point to a plausible explanation of the existence and level of the radiation that is consistent with an explanation of the universe beyond 'god did it'?

I thought not :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#365 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-17, 13:18

mikeh, on 2013-October-17, 11:56, said:

Anybody willing to bet that if he comments on this post, he will show that he understands the idea of the cosmic background radiation and the role that its discovery played in validating the big bang theory? or that he'll point to a plausible explanation of the existence and level of the radiation that is consistent with an explanation of the universe beyond 'god did it'?

This possibility is difficult to evaluate due to interference at quantum level induced by hrothgar's fridge magnets.

#366 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-17, 13:22

c_corgi, on 2013-October-17, 13:18, said:

This possibility is difficult to evaluate due to interference at quantum level induced by hrothgar's fridge magnets.

I don't have any fridge magnet's, you insensitive sod...
Alderaan delenda est

#367 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-17, 13:36

I have to confess: I opened post 249.

One part of the problem is that the troll is fundamentally ignorant. He doesn't have a conceptual basis for understanding the basic issues.

Not exactly the real problem, I think. When it comes to fundamental physics, I am ignorant. With 32etc, it's simply total rejection. To the extent he has any interest, the interest is to reject. Knowledge, if any, is used to reject. You say, at one point, that you had trouble with an intuitive grasp of the Krauss idea of nothing. So do I. But so what? I have trouble with some biological concepts, I don't reject biology. I have trouble with some financial ideas. I don't suggest we go back to wampum. At some point it becomes clear that further discussion has no point, at least as far as 32 is concerned. As for me, I found your comments about physics interesting. So it's not a total loss.

There is no chance in hell or elsewhere that you will convince 32 of anything. Accept what we cannot change.
Ken

#368 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-17, 18:13

hrothgar, on 2013-October-17, 13:22, said:

I don't have any fridge magnet's, you insensitive sod...

I find greengrocers' apostrophes offensive.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#369 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-17, 18:30

'Nothing' includes the absence of space-time itself. I don't know about Krauss, but my ability to feel that I had some intuitive grasp or mental image of the concepts failed at that point, but that is no reason to ignore the argument.

I don't understand "nothing" but I also don't understand "something", because to my mind, it seems very unlikely. I also don't understand how "time" (outside of our own universe's spacetime) could have had a beginning, or how it could have not had a beginning.

#370 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-17, 18:45

Here you go.

http://postimg.org/i...weypp/9418a9eb/

Now, do you accept the framework that I suggested?
Alderaan delenda est

#371 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-October-17, 21:51

hrothgar, on 2013-October-17, 06:49, said:

If the cost of a year's freedom from your drivel is as simple as a bit of research and posting something on 10/16 each year I am more than happy to take one for the forums.(Thankfully, I have a calender app that can remind me of this)
So, let's get down to brass tacks.From what I can tell, I need to accomplish two distinct things.
1. Provide sufficient supporting evidence that supports the theory of evolution. (This shouldn't be too difficult). You've already admitted that this theory seems plausible.
2. Demonstrate that the theory of evolution does not depend on the big bang theory.

Are we in agreement about the specifics?

hrothgar, on 2013-October-17, 18:45, said:

Here you go.http://postimg.org/image/cfx1weypp/9418a9eb/

Now, do you accept the framework that I suggested?

Don't bother about point 1. There is enough info available. I am more interested in your point 2. Convince me how you managed to separate the theory of evolution entirely from the BBT, allowing it to remain standing all on its own. You can ask PassedOut to assisst you. The LHC team has tasked him to start collecting new theories to explain the origins of the universe. Convince me, and I'll give you guys a break.

#372 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-18, 01:55

32519, on 2013-October-17, 21:51, said:

Convince me how you managed to separate the theory of evolution entirely from the BBT, allowing it to remain standing all on its own.

I don't see what basis you ever had for supposing that the theory of evolution was in any way connected to, let alone dependent on, the Big Bang cosmological model.

Quite apart from any scientific aspects, which I'll leave to others, the theory of evolution by natural selection (to be a bit more precise about it) got underway with Darwin's and Wallace's paper to the Linnean Society in 1858 and the publication of On the Origin of Species the next year, was developed over the next decades, and was more-or-less established theory by (if not well before) the 1920s.

The Big Bang Theory as we have it now essentially dates, at the earliest, from Friedman's expanding-universe solution (1922) to Einstein's equations of general relativity, Lemaitre's 1927 expanding-universe model, and, above all, his 1931 proposal that the universe began with an explosion of an "atom primitif". The "Big Bang" name was coined by Fred Hoyle in a 1949 radio broadcast; Hoyle himself favoured an alternative "steady state" cosmological model, and the Big Bang theory only really won out in 1964/65 with Penzias's and Wilson's discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation.

So historically the theory of evolution was largely developed before Big Bang theory was ever mentioned.

#373 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-18, 03:37

PeterAlan, on 2013-October-18, 01:55, said:

Convince me how you managed to separate the theory of evolution entirely from the BBT, allowing it to remain standing all on its own.

[Nice historical account of the evolution theory and the Big Bang Theory]

So historically the theory of evolution was largely developed before Big Bang theory was ever mentioned.

So, to put it in 32's words:

"The theory of evolution has been separated entirely from the BBT for 64 years, allowing it to remain standing all on its own."

Q.E.D.

Convince me, and I'll give you guys a break.

It's going to be awfully quiet here.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#374 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-October-18, 04:48

After some weeks of work and holiday I came back to bbf and found this thread. I really missed this. :)
So much convidence in ignorance in just one place.... Wonderful.
And in the same thread so many little gems to think about. Surely it is this mixture which makes me love these threads.

BTW: Czaba, did you notice that the troll was feed by atheists only?

I guess the "moderate belivers" simply ignore these guys. Looks like quite an intelligent apporach to me, but maybe I am biased...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#375 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-October-18, 05:54

Silence can mean one of two things:

1) You say such outlandishly stupid things that I cannot see how replying to you can help anyone.
2) You say outlandishly strange things in outlandishly rude fashion but I don't want to carefully refute them because I don't have enough time to explain why beliefs are fundamentally different than yours even though many of the axioms are the same.

Unfortunately, in many cases it is difficult to distinguish 1) and 2) and it would help to just say something. I did not say the moderates agreed with 32519 but only that they gave mikeh et al a much harder time than 32519 so from at least at a superficial level it definitely looked that way. This you see very often in real life and very often it has much more severe consequences.

My name is Csaba BTW.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#376 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-18, 06:43

Codo, on 2013-October-18, 04:48, said:

After some weeks of work and holiday I came back to bbf and found this thread. I really missed this. :)
So much convidence in ignorance in just one place.... Wonderful.
And in the same thread so many little gems to think about. Surely it is this mixture which makes me love these threads.

For what it's worth, I missed your contributions to this thread also. Welcome back.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#377 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-October-18, 06:58

2. Convince me how you managed to separate the theory of evolution entirely from the BBT, allowing it to remain standing all on its own.

The easiest way to proceed is to reference Roman Catholic teachings on so called theistic evolution.

http://en.wikipedia....h_and_evolution
http://en.wikipedia....istic_evolution

The Roman Catholic Church has long held that there is nothing contradictory between religion and evolution.
They believe that God was the first mover, that God created the universe, and directly created the human soul.
However, they also believe that evolution god's tool in shaping the material world.

I posit that this distinction shows how the theory of evolution can be treated separately and distinctly from the Big Bang Theory.
Alderaan delenda est

#378 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-October-18, 07:48

hrothgar, on 2013-October-18, 06:58, said:

The easiest way to proceed is to reference Roman Catholic teachings on so called theistic evolution.

http://en.wikipedia....h_and_evolution
http://en.wikipedia....istic_evolution

The Roman Catholic Church has long held that there is nothing contradictory between religion and evolution.
They believe that God was the first mover, that God created the universe, and directly created the human soul.
However, they also believe that evolution god's tool in shaping the material world.

I posit that this distinction shows how the theory of evolution can be treated separately and distinctly from the Big Bang Theory.

I hope you can see the wisdom in this post of yours?

Let me ask you this –
1. How much paint is left in your tin?
2. Stated differently (the same question), how small is the corner that you are busy painting yourself into.

I’ll answer the top one for you. You have acknowledged that God is real. The creation was at his hands. From then onwards the process of evolution took over. In other words, you yourself are the first among those vehemently defending the BBT that it is absolutely stupid. You have become the first defector to the opposition.

I welcome you with open arms my brother. The angels in heaven are now singing and dancing around the throne of God.

I say it to you again – welcome home brother!

#379 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-October-18, 08:26

The deeply religious have many obnoxious traits. One of them is forgiving me when I have not asked for forgiveness. Similarly they explain that Jesus will save me. And, as here, they explain that God has accepted me, or I have accepted God. Nothing but frustration comes from such interaction. They are deeply insulting, as they intend to be. What to do? Nothing to be done.

Codo's post brings the thread back to the OP. Must moderates speak out? I suppose it could be useful, but really the utter hopelessness of this conversation is no doubt a deterrent.
Ken

#380 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2013-October-18, 08:37

32519, on 2013-October-18, 07:48, said:

I hope you can see the wisdom in this post of yours?

Let me ask you this –
1. How much paint is left in your tin?
2. Stated differently (the same question), how small is the corner that you are busy painting yourself into.

I’ll answer the top one for you. You have acknowledged that God is real. The creation was at his hands. From then onwards the process of evolution took over. In other words, you yourself are the first among those vehemently defending the BBT that it is absolutely stupid. You have become the first defector to the opposition.

I welcome you with open arms my brother. The angels in heaven are now singing and dancing around the throne of God.

I say it to you again – welcome home brother!

This is another completely dishonest post. Any religion that produces such dishonesty is, of course, worthless.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users