• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

unauthorized information

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-10, 08:57

View PostShugart23, on 2013-August-10, 05:03, said:

so last night RHO opens 1NT and I overcall 2H....LHO doubles meaning stolen bid, transfer to Spades, but RHO doesn't realize this. The bid comes around to him and he thinks for a bit , probably trying to decide if the double is penalty, and finally bids 3D..LHO bids 3S and RHO realizing that he made a mistake, bid 4S.....

I don't think there was any UI here.....Perhaps LHO should have considered 3D as a super-accept and bid 4S directly, but I don't know.....I didn't feel there was damage

Certainly there's UI in this situation. Perhaps you mean that you don't think anyone took advantage of UI, but that's a different issue.

If there was no damage then there's no score adjustment, but if anyone "took advantage" of UI in getting to game, there was damage.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-10, 12:05

Thanks Blackshoe; you are wealth of information. Let me ask you this....If the partnership agreement was that 3D was a super accept (even though the 3D bidder made a mistake), and then the 3S bid is a decline of the invite then perhaps the 4S bidder was obligated to pass vs realizing his mistake and bidding game ? So perhaps I was damaged ? What would you say ?

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-10, 16:00

I would say I need to know the outcome of the play. B-)

If you were damaged, for example if 4 makes, then I would adjust the score, probably to 3+1.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 04:26

View PostShugart23, on 2013-August-10, 12:05, said:

If the partnership agreement was that 3D was a super accept

There is another possibility here too. After a super-accept, many pairs play that 3 is a re-transfer to spades (ie puppet to 3). Then a direct 3 either does not exist, is invitational, or is a slam try according to agreement. The TD needs to establish what agreements are in place in cases such as this to work out what LAs might exist.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 08:26

I was thinking about this example over the weekend and actually ended up confusing myself....Where exactly was the UI ? There was no discussion/explanation of any of the bids...the 3D bidder realized he made a mistake in his bid (when partner went to 3S) but it wasn't because of anything anyone said...When he went to 4S, he took a chance that partner had a complete bust and was trying to pass out at 2S...Yes, partners 3S woke him up, and all at the table figured it out right away.....but what was unauthorized ? Thanks if someone can try and explain.

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-12, 08:53

RHO's BIT before bidding 3 conveys the extraneous information that RHO isn't sure what call to make (or perhaps isn't sure whether to alert LHO's double, but in that case the alert procedure requires him to err on the side of caution and alert it, so why didn't he?). That extraneous information could suggest that RHO wants to play in diamonds, or thinks LHO has diamonds (and might convey no information about RHO's spades) so it's unauthorized.
--------------------

#27 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-12, 12:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-August-12, 08:53, said:

RHO's BIT before bidding 3 conveys the extraneous information that RHO isn't sure what call to make (or perhaps isn't sure whether to alert LHO's double, but in that case the alert procedure requires him to err on the side of caution and alert it, so why didn't he?). That extraneous information could suggest that RHO wants to play in diamonds, or thinks LHO has diamonds (and might convey no information about RHO's spades) so it's unauthorized.

This is my last post on this topic; promise !

SO who is using the UI ? LHO had no interest in Diamonds and bid 3S naturally. RHO isnt receiving any UI and is only promted that he made a mistake from listening to the bidding and took a (successful) flyer at 4S.

Are you saying that the unalerted 3D bid should have put limitations on LHO's next bid? Or is LHO's 3S bid putting limitation on RHO ?

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-12, 20:04

RHO provided the UI to LHO, so LHO is the only one who could use it illegally.

The UI could suggest that RHO, who bid 3, doesn't have a lot of diamonds (he thinks he's supporting LHO), so it suggests that LHO not pass 3, but instead rebid his own suit (which RHO clearly isn't aware LHO has).

It's not enough to bid what you "were always going to bid", you have to make the extra effort not to bid whatever is suggested you bid - even if that is "what you were always going to bid".
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users