Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding table suggestion thread

#1 User is offline   deanrover6 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-25, 22:48

The host should have a checkbox entitled 'opponents pass all'. I was playing some hands where I gave the opponents open a weak two, and then having to click pass every time thereafter was really annoying. A bunch of times I forgot I had to click pass, and bid as East, then I had to click undo, re-enter my bid, pass as West, my partner had to rebid, and then I had to pass as East again. Annoying! Also, I don't know if you're aware of this but on a few boards it didn't give us the correct hands.

e.g N/S minimum 22 points

Posted Image

All the others were correct.

We tried using the speakers, but it didn't work. I could see when my partner was speaking (the little bar thingy was moving) but could not hear him, and my partner could neither hear me nor see the bar moving. I checked my microphone on Skype and it worked fine. I was using Chrome and I clicked 'yes' when a popup asked me if I wanted to allow BBO to use my microphone and webcam.

BTW, I haven't played on BBO in a long time, and basically had never used the web client, and I am extremely impressed by it. Very intuitive, lots of really useful features, such as the ability to tinyurl a hand, the automated tourneys that are really fun and addictive and many others, such as the GIB analysis post hand. Talking of which, I'd like to see an option to get a 4 * 5 table showing the maximum amount of tricks each declarer could make in the 5 'suits' (It's nice to know that I could have stopped their overtrick in 4, but how would a 4 sacrifice go (yes, I know I should try and work it out single dummy, but sometimes I want convenience from convenient things).

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-26, 09:07

When you create the bidding table, the middle of the dialogue has:

Opponents' bidding
[x] Pass throughout [ ] Controlled by host

But is this what you really want? If you give the opponents a weak 2 hand, don't you want them to bid it? Are you asking for an option where they'll bid once, then pass the rest of the time?

Is your second complaint that the hands didn't match the dealer criteria you specified? Can you provide the dealer script you used? If you use the dialogues to specify the hands, you can go to the Advanced tab and it will show the resulting script; you can copy and paste it here.

Regarding the voice chat, have you or he had similar problems when trying to listen to voice commentary at Vugraph tables?

#3 User is offline   deanrover6 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 10:11

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-26, 09:07, said:

Are you asking for an option where they'll bid once, then pass the rest of the time?

Yes. That wasn't clear. A 'pass for the rest of hand' checkbox.

I haven't tried listening to voice commentary for vugraph as I wasn't aware it existed (it's a great move). I've only watched a few vugraphs since coming back to BBO so perhaps none of them had voice.

#4 User is offline   deanrover6 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-26, 10:16

I don't know how to provide the dealer script that I used, but I specified N-S minimum 22 points, and nothing else. We bid about 20 hands this way (before adjusting things a little) and on two of them it was nowhere close.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-29, 09:50

In the hand you posted, the 22+ points went to E/W instead of N/S. Is that what happened in the other case?

#6 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 16:08

I had problems with the microphone once as well. What I eventually figured out was the the browser itself was asking for permission to use the microphone and it popped up way up at the top of the window instead of the usual little flash dialog box asking permission.

Another glitch. If you are kibbing, then join, you will have to click start again to hear. Works fine when you figure that out though.

#7 User is offline   deanrover6 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-29, 17:00

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-29, 09:50, said:

In the hand you posted, the 22+ points went to E/W instead of N/S. Is that what happened in the other case?

I think so, p(E&W ≥ 22 points | N&S < 21 points) is pretty high (anyone know the exact probability?)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-30, 12:41

I just created a bidding table, set the criteria to NS 22-40 HCP, and clicked Redeal several dozen times, and all the hands fit the criteria.

Is it possible that the original table host got disconnected and reconnected? The dealer parameters are associated with the host, not the table. So if the original host disconnects, his partner becomes the host, but he just has the default settings. And when you reconnect, it stays that way.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users