What do you bid?

#1 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-10, 23:14

A hand from the club tonight 54% game, 44% board

Maybe you foresaw this problem and bid 3 last round?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 00:27

My problem is not the choice of minor on the previous round. My problem is whether partner thinks 3S is forcing. Normally it wouldn't be, but maybe she thinks my 3m bid rather than a Lebenish 2NT showed more strength which I don't have.

If that isn't a problem, then passing isn't a problem. At the outset, when doubling the preempt partner should be making an assumption I hold some nondescript 6-9 count. I have the lower range of that and crummy Spade support. Time to pass.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 02:27

4 describes my hand perfectly.

Passing is out of question imo, and it is irrelavant whether pd thinks it is forcing or not since we have a clear bid even when it is NF. Using lebensohl it should be % 100 forcing btw. Without leben, 3 shows apprx 0-9 and we have 5-4 suits 7 hcp. I am not a big fan of this " 7 expected hcps " theory. I want my pd to bid his hand diferently when he holds 7 hcp and differently when holds 2 hcp, especially after i start with DBL and then bid a new suit at 3 level.

With 1 suited hand pd should have started with 3 over 2. Or he could even start 2 which my memory tells me majority of people in forums play it up to a bad 18 hcp. Double and then bidding spades shows he has another place to play. Playing lebensohl, pd can even hold 4 card clubs and still bid his 5-6 card spades before he support the clubs. Bidding 3 previous round is from another planet to me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-11, 02:29

Not sure I follow that argument agua. Partner has a flexible hand, perhaps something like 5143. Why would I voluntarily play in our (probably) 6 card fit rather than an 8 card fit?
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-11, 02:53

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-11, 02:29, said:

Not sure I follow that argument agua. Partner has a flexible hand, perhaps something like 5143. Why would I voluntarily play in our (probably) 6 card fit rather than an 8 card fit?

Exactly, no need to mention that this is MP. . But passing is so bad that it may hurt you badly even at IMPS with this hand and auction imo.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 04:30

I normally play lebensohl here, and I would had used it, 2NT and then 4 over 3.

If I play lebensolh but decided this hand is too strong to use it I would bid 4 now as my hand is very poor in context.

If I don't play lebensohl and thus I could have a zero count, I bid 4 now to show some values.

#7 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-11, 06:26

Here's the full hand, yes we play leb, 3 is forcing.

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 06:30

View PostFluffy, on 2013-July-11, 04:30, said:

I normally play lebensohl here, and I would had used it, 2NT and then 4 over 3.

If I play lebensolh but decided this hand is too strong to use it I would bid 4 now as my hand is very poor in context.

If I don't play lebensohl and thus I could have a zero count, I bid 4 now to show some values.

I'm not sure I agree this is right.

After 3(borderline)-3, I think 4 just shows more clubs. Once we chose to show values and partner bids 3, I would assume we are in a game force, so I would bid 4. Sure, we are light, but our hand is pretty pure, and if partner pots a slam I will not be embarrassed.

On this hand, we will be beating off a few grand slam tries ....

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-July-11, 09:32

View Postjillybean, on 2013-July-11, 06:26, said:

Here's the full hand, yes we play leb, 3 is forcing.

This hand actually supports what i said earlier about why pass is out of question regardless of 3 being forcing or nf.

We all seem to have agreed that playing leben, 3 was forcing.

What if we did not play leben ? We would still be bidding 3 which would make 3 NF. Could N bid anything else than3 when 3 is NF ? I would think the answer is no. Yes he has 22 hcp but not a proud suit or shape. He has a semi balanced hand and i think it would be very reasonable to stay below game when pd holds 0-3 hcp and no support for suit. What other options do we have anyway ? What is N supposed to bid with this 5242 22 hcp ? Jump in spade suit ? Cue and then bid his 5 card suit and waste more and more space with the religious belief that says "pd holds 6-9 hcp" ?

For example take Q from pd and put it to clubs, then we would still have a fit in clubs, or put it to hearts then he would probably not even bother to bid this spade suit and bid 3NT over a non leben 3

But with south hand 5-4 suits and pure 7 hcp, when pd says he doesnt have proud spade single suited hand (or he would start 3 or 4 depending on your methods) it is still a clear to bid on. Or you play 3 in 5-1 fit, at MP, when slam or even grandslam has decent succes rate in another suit.

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-July-11, 09:38

I would have bid 3 playing Lebensohl, as I think that this hand is good enough for the bid. Over 3, one is endplayed into bidding 4. 3 is forcing and I leave it to partner to decide that his hand is good enough to choose double followed by 3 as his plan of action. I am going to bid my cards and see what happens.

No doubt I will be extremely worried about the subsequent vault into the stratosphere following my 4 call - until the dummy hits.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-11, 09:43

What I missed originally was the obvious ---that the double, then 3S, will not be a single-suited hand. It will most likely be only 5 in length. Single suiters could do something else (for instance a 3S balance rather than a double).

Passing with the given 1-3-4-5 hand would truly be silly regardless of whether that hand had misbid 3C instead of 2NT on the previous round per their agreements.

The next problem will be (if Leben was in-fact available), to carefully find a way to make the diamond slam into which we were launched by the 3C bid. 3C would have a 9 point floor opposite a direct double, but should even show more opposite a balancing double.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2013-July-11, 10:23

#1 Lebensohl is on?
#2 Assuming I can bid 3C / 3D, 3C is normal, I have a 5 card suit and a 4 card suit, I bid the 5 card suit
#3 I will pass, 3S is NF, I have no fit, I have no stopper, we play MP, going plus is more important than
reaching game

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 15:00

View Postjillybean, on 2013-July-10, 23:14, said:

44% board

Since you play lebensohl here 3 is forcing period.

Where did the 44% come from?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-14, 02:32

Since 3 is forcing, I don't see any alternative to 4. With 4-4 you would've started with 3, so now you show 5-4, no stopper and not the least bit of support for . Basically you can't have much else than a 1=3=4=5.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users