Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1M X transfers

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-08, 12:13

We're playing transfers over 1M X. For example...

1S X
.....1N-clubs
.....2C-diamonds
.....2D-hearts
.....2H-good raise

We had been playing that rdbl creates a force and desire to penalize at least three suits while passing and then doubling created a force with a balanced hand. This convention is called IGAS (I've Got a Secret)

Then I started to be concerned that we had no way for those 7-9 pt hands that had no fit and no suit to show any values. We've since changed to 1S X XX as a hand from 7 on up.

Obviously we can't create a force with this. What do others think of the tradeoffs here? Am I wrong to be concerned about the 7-9 range? Do transfers not go well with redouble as business (10+)?

#2 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-08, 12:28

Note that in this context, the 1M openings are in the 10-15 HCP range.
foobar on BBO

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-July-08, 12:33

My preference has, for some 15 years now, been to play that redouble was a transfer to the next denomination, and that all bids up to the suit below our major were transfers, with a single raise being a weak raise that offers no play for game except opposite a freak.

Over 1 [x] our redouble ostensibly shows a 1N bid or better, subject to the caveat about passing that I will get to in a moment.

We would, absent a transfer, usually play 1N over their double as balanced with usually a doubleton support for opener and about good 7 to bad 10 hcp, so that is now the hand promised by the redouble.

Responder can have a better hand, especially if red v white, where playing 3N rates to be better than trying to nail them at the 2-level. It is usually better, in our view, to have the doubler on lead rather than advancer.

Pass is simply non-committal. If responder reopens with a double, then he is suggesting playing for penalty. Our agreements, in those partnerships where I play this method, is that double suggests Hxx as the worst possible holding. By definition responder is some 4432 or 4441 with shortness in opener's suit, and strong interest in defending.

We have very rarely had the pass followed by a reopening double come up, btw. I think it's because one needs 10+ hcp and somewhat narrowly defined shape, and to feel that bidding our game isn't as good as penalizing them, but otoh, I have very rarely had the classic redouble followed by a penalty double either so I don't think it is a function of method as much as a function of frequency of occurrence of the hand type.

After we open 1, things operate much the same way, except that 1 becomes a transfer to 1N, with redouble showing spades.

My personal view is that the penalty redouble is not a huge thing to give up, compared to the additional flexibility that comes from using redouble as part of the transfer scheme.

Btw, I think it entirely possible (and have done this in my most successful but now long-past partnership) to play transfers beyond 2M. We actually played transfer fit-jumps! And a jump to the suit below our major was a limit or better raise, with 3M being preemptive, and 2N showing clubs and our major, etc. I'm not entirely sure that it was a net winner for us...it arose rarely...but it was kind of fun to play.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-July-08, 12:41

I prefer the style that mikeh has documented. The only hands that have made a difference are where we have right-sided NT to put the overcaller on lead, and where I decided to transfer to NT with 4 spades to the JTxx, and later got to penalty double the ops (worldclass ops) in a 4-3 spade fit at the 3 level for 800. I've had no negative experiences.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-08, 16:59

Mikeh's post covers most of what we do. The Redouble does not preclude our ability to penalize the opposition particularly. Opener with a respectable OB need not bid at all; he/she only rebids 1NT, or two anything with a weak opening bid. There is an extra hand type where the responder will redouble 1S --a single-suited game force which she will show on the next round. If there is no next round, we will be fine in 1Sxx.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-09, 08:59

I play an entire level of transfers, sacrificing the strong RDbl. With penalty RDbl you can easily pass and Dbl later, which is defined as penalty in our partnership.

Similar after 1 openings btw, where RDbl shows 4+ and 1 shows the NT hand.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-09, 10:21

Free, on 2013-July-09, 08:59, said:

I play an entire level of transfers, sacrificing the strong RDbl. With penalty RDbl you can easily pass and Dbl later, which is defined as penalty in our partnership.

As mentioned, over 1SX, the strong penalty RDbl is not necessarily lost and it is not necessary to pass with those. Since the Rdbl shows notrumpish shape, Opener can participate immediately by doubling an advance or passing 1SXX with good hands.

Over 1HX, the XX showing 4+ spades and 6+ points can turn into a penalty situation if Opener has significant extras and 2- Spades. It is the 1S response here which often loses penalty, but then responder can't have 4 spades (except with 6+ Spades and G.F), and the likelihood of a successful double of Spades at the 1-level is reduced anyway.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-11, 03:26

You could also go for a Ben-style structure where (over 1), XX = clubs or (usually balanced) without stop; 1NT = natural; and then transfers on up. Similarly over 1, XX = spades; 1 = clubs or no stop; 1NT = natural; 2 = diamonds.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-11, 07:28

Zelandakh, on 2013-July-11, 03:26, said:

You could also go for a Ben-style structure where (over 1), XX = clubs or (usually balanced) without stop; 1NT = natural; and then transfers on up.

Without stop in what suit? The takeout double allegedly was for 3 suits. Also, I assume that method would include passes with absolute penalty intentions so we wouldn't be letting the opponents entirely off the hook. At least when XX=NT and NT=clubs there is still a chance to nail them when Opener passes the redouble.

#10 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2013-July-11, 07:44

In our partnership we play that 1M-(x)-xx shows some values(6+ usually) and exactly 2M. This treatment has 2 good things going for it. With max opener (Our 1M is limited to 15) and 6M, opener can jump to game(15+6+2+2+2+2=29) 29/3=9,66 which is aprox 10 :),
Also there if partner pass, you can assume that he either does not have points or is with short hearts. I remember this being helpful in world youth championship last year, were we did set a contract because of this. Partner led A of the major and gave me a ruff. That was the only way to beat the contract(although i do not remember what kind of it was)

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-11, 08:00

Sorry, you are right agua, that was rubbish and related to overcalls. It should read balanced or clubs.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-13, 05:51

Free, on 2013-July-09, 08:59, said:

This is what I like as well. You can overload the XX->1NT transfer with some better hands too, like a 3 card invite in partners major that can stop at 2M (presumably a 4 card raise is still Jordan 2N).

#13 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-13, 13:50

aguahombre, on 2013-July-09, 10:21, said:

As mentioned, over 1SX, the strong penalty RDbl is not necessarily lost and it is not necessary to pass with those. Since the Rdbl shows notrumpish shape, Opener can participate immediately by doubling an advance or passing 1SXX with good hands.

Over 1HX, the XX showing 4+ spades and 6+ points can turn into a penalty situation if Opener has significant extras and 2- Spades. It is the 1S response here which often loses penalty, but then responder can't have 4 spades (except with 6+ Spades and G.F), and the likelihood of a successful double of Spades at the 1-level is reduced anyway.

True, but you also miss penalties when the oppponents had been destined to select a minor suit or 1NT, and when Opener would have doubled 1 for penalties given the chance.

Perhaps it's better to play 1 as 5+ spades; redouble as balanced(ish) or short hearts, 1NT+ as transfers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users