• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU - Bidding after a hesitation Logical Alternative

#1 User is offline   kruba 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-04, 10:11

A normal Duplicate in England.

5C* makes. At the end of the hand, North calls the Director. The Hesitation is agreed.
Do you allow the 5C bid? Is Pass a Logical Alternative. Or rule back to 4S?
If you rule back to 4S, what is your ruling on 4S making?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-July-04, 10:18

I think very few would Pass and (without the benefit of consultation) would rule Pass is not a logical alternative.
Double is suggested over 5 as it allows for more of the hands partner might hesitate with.
So I allow 5 and table result stands.

(and I don't have to think about the play in 4 :))
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-04, 10:38

Normal to bid 5C IMO. Result stands.

#4 User is offline   kruba 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 10:51

Does the Standard of player bidding 5C, make any difference.
Are Logical Alternatives different for Experts and Beginners?

#5 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 11:13

View Postkruba, on 2013-July-04, 10:51, said:

As I understand it, a Logical Alternative is always "class of player" dependent. The definition includes that -- it's either in law 12 or 16, I forget and am too lazy to look it up verbatim.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#6 User is offline   kruba 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 12:35

If an Expert would bid 5C, what would a Beginner do? Would passing be a LA for a Beginner?

#7 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 12:41

View Postkruba, on 2013-July-04, 10:51, said:

Yes, that's why the correct approach would be to poll peers of East. However, I agree with Robin and Jeremy: the poll is likely to show that virtually all peers of East will bid 5.

#8 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 12:47

View Postjallerton, on 2013-July-04, 12:41, said:

Yes, that's why the correct approach would be to poll peers of East. However, I agree with Robin and Jeremy: the poll is likely to show that virtually all peers of East will bid 5.

At the risk of stating something you nearly certainly already know, when you poll those peers, give them the auction plain, without any tempo breaks by anyone. The question isn't what might you do after partner's BIT, but rather what might you do without possessing any UI at all.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 14:22

View Postkruba, on 2013-July-04, 12:35, said:

If an Expert would bid 5C, what would a Beginner do? Would passing be a LA for a Beginner?

I would expect a beginner to bid five clubs even faster than an expert.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 16:29

Let's see. Everyone takes their hand out of the board, counts their cards, and sorts their hand. Now everyone evaluates. This takes some number of seconds, say 5. Opener bids 2, and second seat pauses for ten seconds while contemplating his hand. What, that didn't happen? Sheesh.

Usually that's a BIT which may cause problems for the NOS, since third seat is expected to bid "in tempo" and he didn't get time to think about what to do with his hand in the face of partner's preempt and RHO's overcall. In this case, however, it's overcaller's partner who has been deprived of thinking time by the overcaller's BIT. Too bad for them, but if it were me I'd be having a talk later with my partner about his tempo in these situations.

That said, I agree, I think, with "pass is not a logical alternative".

If pass were a logical alternative, I would have to rule on the basis of a 4 contract by NS. In the ACBL, I think 4= both sides. In the rest of the world, some weighting like:

4= 40%
4-1 60%

I thought about including 4X in the weighting, but I don't know if the hesitation might indicate West might have been thinking of doubling. If he might have been thinking of doubling, then it should probably be included, on the grounds that he might have doubled (and I might, in the ACBL, award EW -590 for 4X= ("the most favorable result that was at all probable"). If the doubled contract is a possible result, it still might make or might go down, so that's two more weighting, I think, though I'll pass on how much weight to give them, and how much to take away from the other two. Perhaps someone who's used to giving weighted rulings might suggest one or two, with or without the double.

If West doubles, does that make it more or less likely that East will bid 5?

"Logical Alternative" is defined in Law 16B1{b}.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-July-04, 17:08

If West cannot double, East surely cannot - don't bother considering doubled calls, Ed. You can't make West double because he hesitated before passing.
Chris Gibson

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-04, 17:11

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-July-04, 17:08, said:

If West cannot double, East surely cannot - don't bother considering doubled calls, Ed. You can't make West double because he hesitated before passing.

I'm not making him do anything. I'm judging whether he might have done something. Perhaps he wouldn't. That's fine with me.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-04, 17:38

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-04, 17:11, said:

I'm not making him do anything. I'm judging whether he might have done something. Perhaps he wouldn't. That's fine with me.

What I mean is that West's call was not influenced by UI, so it cannot be changed. If you were to consider doubled auctions, it would be because E would have been influenced away from doubling by his partner's hesitation, which I do not believe to be the case.
Chris Gibson

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 02:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-04, 16:29, said:

Let's see. Everyone takes their hand out of the board, counts their cards, and sorts their hand. Now everyone evaluates. This takes some number of seconds, say 5. Opener bids 2, and second seat pauses for ten seconds while contemplating his hand. What, that didn't happen? Sheesh.

What makes you think that didn't happen? There's nothing in the OP to suggest that East bid too quickly, and it says "England".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-05, 08:40

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-July-04, 17:38, said:

What I mean is that West's call was not influenced by UI, so it cannot be changed.

Again, I'm not changing any calls. Besides, what law says that?

It is true the West has no UI. It is also true that he may have been thinking about doubling 4, even though he didn't. So I don't see why 4X, and doubled by West, is not a potential result (see Law 12C1{c}). I grant one would give it a pretty small weighting.
--------------------

#16 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 09:04

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-05, 08:40, said:

It is true the West has no UI. It is also true that he may have been thinking about doubling 4, even though he didn't. So I don't see why 4X, and doubled by West, is not a potential result (see Law 12C1{c}). I grant one would give it a pretty small weighting.

Where does this stop? Are you going to include situations where East chose an alternative call to 3C at his first turn (as he plausibly might have done) in your weightings? Surely the only possible scores are those that arise from alternative calls from East at his second turn, when his choice at the table is disallowed.

Incidentally, I don't consider anything other than 5C at East's second turn an LA.

#17 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 09:34

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-July-05, 08:40, said:

It seems pretty basic. A first time director should get it right, and I'm shocked that you don't see it. Ask your colleagues, and people knowledgeable of the law - changing west's call is not within your rights, and would be overturned by every appeals committee because W's call was not influenced by UI, and therefore not under your jurisdiction, so to speak.
Chris Gibson

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-05, 14:20

View Postc_corgi, on 2013-July-05, 09:04, said:

Where does this stop? Are you going to include situations where East chose an alternative call to 3C at his first turn (as he plausibly might have done) in your weightings? Surely the only possible scores are those that arise from alternative calls from East at his second turn, when his choice at the table is disallowed.

Incidentally, I don't consider anything other than 5C at East's second turn an LA.

I'm gong to follow the law. If you think I'm not doing that, show me exactly how the law says I'm not.
--------------------

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-July-05, 14:21

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-July-05, 09:34, said:

It seems pretty basic. A first time director should get it right, and I'm shocked that you don't see it. Ask your colleagues, and people knowledgeable of the law - changing west's call is not within your rights, and would be overturned by every appeals committee because W's call was not influenced by UI, and therefore not under your jurisdiction, so to speak.

Again, show me the law that says so.

Look, I don't try to read the lawmakers' minds. I don't rely on what the laws said 50 years ago, or what somebody thinks they said. I read the words in the law book. It's true that sometimes David Stevenson or someone else comes along and tells me "the laws don't really mean that" or "best practice is to do this other thing", and I usually go along with it, albeit reluctantly. But in the main, I read and try to follow what the law says, not some after the fact "we don't do things that way".
--------------------

#20 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 14:50

Well, Ed, in the ACBL manual, under law 12 it says that

"the objective of a score adjustment is to redress
damage to a non-offending side and to take
away any advantage gained by an offending side
through its infraction. Damage exists when, because
of an infraction, an innocent side obtains a
table result less favorable than would have been
the expectation had the infraction not occurred"

The italics were added for emphasis by me.

In this case, the infraction would not be the hesitation, or anything prior to the hesitation; it would be the use of information gained from the hesitation in choosing subsequent calls.

It seems that this is very clear in that you should not adjust scores because of actions that are not infractions, like the perfectly legal action of taking time to think, then passing.
Chris Gibson

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users