Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pasting clipboard

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:09

Sorry, I feel so stupid, being completely new to Android, but how do I paste the content of the clipboard into a message post such as this one?

Samsung Note 10.1, Android 4.1.2 Jellybean, Firefox 19.0.2

Getting what I want into the clipboard is no problem. Just cant find the option to get it back out again.

If the solution is simply to use a different browser than Firefox, then so be it, but I cannot help thinking that there is a generic method at OS level.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:16

In normal Firefox you'd do it with either Edit->Paste or type Control-V. Neither of these works on the tablet?

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:30

no luck. there is no control key in the popup keyboard and no visible menu from which to select edit let alone paste. I expected to work just long-pressing my finger in the text input window but no joy
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:44

Does that gesture work with other web sites?

We're running a pretty old version of the forum software, and I don't think we have the mobile skin enabled, so I'm not surprised that some things don't work great on tablets.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:53

OK yes tested on another site (Android support forum) pasting works OK. Surprised that this sort of thing is not handled at operating system/browser level, rather than reliant on BB software.

#6 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-March-09, 11:32

I would have expected long-pressing your finger in the text box to work too (that DOES work in Android 2.x for me -- however I am using Dolphin browser on my phone.)

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-11, 09:25

1eyedjack, on 2013-March-09, 07:53, said:

OK yes tested on another site (Android support forum) pasting works OK.

That doesn't seem like a fair comparison -- if any site is going to go the extra mile to make sure things work well on Android, that seems like the one.

But like Siegmund, I'd expect this to be handled by the browser, not the site. Where things get complicated is with web sites that use Javascript to implement their own special handling of keyboard and mouse actions; when new interfaces arise, they won't recognize the event codes that are sent. But as far as I can tell, our version of IP.Board doesn't try anything like that, so the browser's native capabilities should work fine.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users